PDA

View Full Version : Bad habbit with high balls

mauri_99
01-06-2010, 04:32 PM
hi i really have the bad habbit to hit a reverse forehand when i get a high ball above shoulder high i use a western grip sometimes it is good because a feeew times i get it deep with a lot of topspin but only a few times almost always the ball lands short and i loose the point i tried to hit with my normal follow through but it doesnt have the topspin i want to get
maybe is the lack of shoulder rotation that dont let me produce more spin what do you thing??:)

LeeD
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
More than full shoulder turn for those head high balls.
I see the top juniors doing that, along with closed feet, even thos their normal rally ball is well open stances.
They also follow thru sorta flat, to produce a much faster moving less spinning groundie for a forcing shot or winner.
If they get run wide to get this ball, they go for loopy high clearance topspin shots.

papa
01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Well also, depending on the height, you have to close down the racquet face a bit or you end up flying the ball with little to no top on it.

charliefedererer
01-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Don't forget that a lot of those high balls have less forward momentum than a flat drive.
The speed of the ball leaving your racquet is equal to your racquet speed plus 55% of the speed of the incoming ball.
Therefore, even though you are taking a good whack at the ball, it may be coming off slower than if you were returning a hard deep drive.
So don't get impatient that your shot is not a winner or a forcing shot. You may just have to wait for a shorter ball, or one more angled, to hit a forcing shot to the open court.