PDA

View Full Version : forehand issues

itracbui3
01-06-2010, 08:09 PM
just a couple days ago, i can hit my forehand really smooth and its really penetrating. but now, when i try to hit my forehand, it's completely off. i start out with a easter/semi mix grip but as it progresses, it changes into full semi or even sometime western at the point of contact so it makes my ball go randomly on the courts. i also feel wrist snapping on my stroke even though im not trying to do it. what can i do to fix this?

LeeD
01-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Hit a couple thousand forehands a day, 3 days a week, until you have a forehand.
You haven't got a forehand yet. It works great some days, it sucks on other days. That is not a forehand that you own. More practice, more hitting, using the same grip and the same form.
Now different if you're talking playing MATCHES. In matches, your forehand can come and go.
But in practice, in warmups, and when hitting, a person who has a forehand can hit just the same, with the same consistency, from day to day.

itracbui3
01-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Hit a couple thousand forehands a day, 3 days a week, until you have a forehand.
You haven't got a forehand yet. It works great some days, it sucks on other days. That is not a forehand that you own. More practice, more hitting, using the same grip and the same form.
Now different if you're talking playing MATCHES. In matches, your forehand can come and go.
But in practice, in warmups, and when hitting, a person who has a forehand can hit just the same, with the same consistency, from day to day.

i get what you're saying but the thing is i cant even hit a forehand properly so if i would hit thousands of shot a day with it, i will be screwed forever wouldnt i?
i just cant find the rhythm to hit the ball with and my wrist keeps on twisting when contact

ManuGinobili
01-07-2010, 07:03 PM
You're right in the sense that, practice makes perfect is a wrong wrong saying.

But...

i just cant find the rhythm to hit the ball

... that is exactly why LeeD told you to hit a thousand balls a day. What practice makes, is consistency. If you have someone (a pro giving lesson or a friend with good technique) help keeping your form in check, or you can tell yourself to keep a good form (though this requires good knowledge and lots of conscious effort), it will result in good practice, which leads to good consistency and rhythm.

Blake0
01-07-2010, 09:40 PM
First off make sure you're moving to the ball and aren't being lazy. Make sure you're doing these steps correctly.
1. Getting into position.
2. Coiling up your body. (setting up with a full shoulder and hip turn.)
3. Using your nondominant hand to guide the racket back when you set up.
4. Incorporating your nondominant hand in the swing.
5. Make sure your wrist is laid back at contact. Both straight arm and double bend forehands have a laid back wrist at contact.
6. Make sure your wrist isn't snapping forward too much. (if at the end of your followthrough your wrist is bent so that your palm is facing toward you.)

If you're confused with 3 or 4, or anything else just ask. If none of these help, i'll try to think of other things too.

Zachol82
01-07-2010, 09:54 PM
You're right in the sense that, practice makes perfect is a wrong wrong saying.

But...

... that is exactly why LeeD told you to hit a thousand balls a day. What practice makes, is consistency. If you have someone (a pro giving lesson or a friend with good technique) help keeping your form in check, or you can tell yourself to keep a good form (though this requires good knowledge and lots of conscious effort), it will result in good practice, which leads to good consistency and rhythm.

I think what itracbui3 is trying to say is that practice will make his forehand consistently suck, since something is wrong with it to start with. But if you have someone with good technique and form show you, then do practice on!

itracbui3
01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
First off make sure you're moving to the ball and aren't being lazy. Make sure you're doing these steps correctly.
5. Make sure your wrist is laid back at contact. Both straight arm and double bend forehands have a laid back wrist at contact.
6. Make sure your wrist isn't snapping forward too much. (if at the end of your followthrough your wrist is bent so that your palm is facing toward you.)

If you're confused with 3 or 4, or anything else just ask. If none of these help, i'll try to think of other things too.

im kinda confused on the "wirst is laid back" part can you explain further?

Blake0
01-08-2010, 01:46 PM
im kinda confused on the "wirst is laid back" part can you explain further?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=305643

user92626
01-08-2010, 02:08 PM
OP,

I would take Blake's advice up to #3 and wouldn't be concerned with the rest.

Yea, get into a consistent position & stance & fully turn and balance with non-hitting arm.

Ignore wrist thing or anything micro.

Focus on dropping the racket about 1ft below contact point, watching the ball closely and hitting the ball squarely, aiming above the net by 2,3 ft or so, and keeping a nice, smooth follow-thru (what that does is prevent you from braking the forward swing prematurely).

After you've become so fluent with these basics, you can play around with wrist, racket face, swing path to clear the net tighter and produce more power & spin. That's about all i need for my FH.

itracbui3
01-09-2010, 11:26 PM
well i kinda got my forehand back and i realized the biggest mistake that i did was that i did not perform the "unit turn" hence i would just swing my arms and that causes my forhand to be unstable.

Cnote
01-10-2010, 01:14 PM
See if you can videotape yourself for an entire practice session or about 5 minutes with a hitting partner. I ran into some issues with my forehand some months ago where I would start my matches with good penetrating strokes but then the FH would produce too much spin with shots landing short in the service box or long to fence.

Unfortunately, I broke my ankle two months ago and could not play competitively. However, this did afford me the ability to focus on the FH and other fundamentals more. A friend who is also a USPTA instructor actually watched my FH and said it was good. But, I only hit maybe 10-15 shots (with the ball being fed). I videotaped myself and showed him the tape. He noticed that after REPEATED shots (>40-50) I start to arm the ball more which shortens my swing, in turn making the FH inconsistent. So now when I practice I force myself to make certain that I am performing a full unit turn. Perhaps a video of yourself will help you see what the difference is between the initial groundstrokes vs those later in the match.

Also, I am not certain what level you are rated, but most beginners (2.5-3.5) tend to hit with too much spin and don't learn to hit through the ball. This becomes more apparent the longer the match or practice sesion lasts.

itracbui3
01-10-2010, 03:19 PM
See if you can videotape yourself for an entire practice session or about 5 minutes with a hitting partner. I ran into some issues with my forehand some months ago where I would start my matches with good penetrating strokes but then the FH would produce too much spin with shots landing short in the service box or long to fence.

Unfortunately, I broke my ankle two months ago and could not play competitively. However, this did afford me the ability to focus on the FH and other fundamentals more. A friend who is also a USPTA instructor actually watched my FH and said it was good. But, I only hit maybe 10-15 shots (with the ball being fed). I videotaped myself and showed him the tape. He noticed that after REPEATED shots (>40-50) I start to arm the ball more which shortens my swing, in turn making the FH inconsistent. So now when I practice I force myself to make certain that I am performing a full unit turn. Perhaps a video of yourself will help you see what the difference is between the initial groundstrokes vs those later in the match.

Also, I am not certain what level you are rated, but most beginners (2.5-3.5) tend to hit with too much spin and don't learn to hit through the ball. This becomes more apparent the longer the match or practice sesion lasts.
i will try to get a vid of myself hitting. my coach said that i could be a strong 3.5 to a weak 4.0 but i think i can improve my self even more