PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm...College Tennis in Other Countries?

tacoben
01-07-2010, 06:38 AM
So much has been said (and debated) about the high recruitment numbers of "foreigners" in the U.S. College/University tennis scenes. However, I am curious to know what College tennis is like in other countries?... such as Australia, Europe, Japan, and our neighbor to the north..Canada. Another question is...in the reverse...do colleges from other countries recruit U.S. kids to play for them?

Dream_On
01-07-2010, 02:23 PM
There are none

mikro112
01-07-2010, 02:33 PM
I can only speak for Germany. In Germany university sport is very rare. I'd say 95% of the sport in Germany is done in clubs. You want to play tennis, you join a club and play for that team there.

NickC
01-07-2010, 02:34 PM
I played for a little while on a Collegiate team in Mexico. The problem was with insurance, the rates are extremely high if an exchange student is on a team so I was dropped.

Trickster
01-08-2010, 02:38 AM
Top level uni tennis in the UK is fairly similar to College tennis in the US.

The only difference is teams don't have the same depth and resources as American teams. Still there are world ranked players (atp 700-1400) in the uni leagues.

martywebster
01-11-2010, 12:41 AM
In Australia you can get scholarships to play at university, however you dont just play against other university's you play against club teams in the surrounding area. Australian Universities do offer scholarships and any one can get them provided they are good enough. The really big sports in Australia such as rugby are full of students on scholarships of which not all of them are Australian.

In terms of tennis, if people are serious about the sport and want to countine to get an education whilst training they will be part of either a state institute of sport or the AIS(Australian Institute of Sport). This allows them to have state of the art coaching and facilities whilst also attending a university.

MC10S
01-18-2010, 10:48 AM
"club" is the structure in most sports in the world besides the US.

There are numerous structures for their pro system like that.

MC10s,
Contributor
D3tennis.com

Memnoch
01-27-2010, 09:55 AM
We have college tennis in canada, but it is not very big. Hockey is more our thing.

cmb
01-27-2010, 07:47 PM
In France its only a club. Thats not the point, Americans are allowed to go and play for french, german, italian Dutch clubs. But they are mostly clay and americans don't really like to have to work that hard to make money.

martywebster
02-02-2010, 06:01 AM
..... But they are mostly clay and americans don't really like to have to work that hard to make money.

As a non american I thought that was a very funny generalisation to post on a forum that is dominated by Americans.

cmb
02-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Its true though. Im american, but Im the only american that I know who plays Euro league tennis fulltime. I know some other guys who are american but have euro roots who play in europe, but none who have just picked up and gone over there to grind it out. Where are u from marty?

EikelBeiter
02-07-2010, 12:44 AM
I can only speak for Germany. In Germany university sport is very rare. I'd say 95% of the sport in Germany is done in clubs. You want to play tennis, you join a club and play for that team there.

Same here in Holland

martywebster
02-09-2010, 11:07 PM
CMB I'm from Australia but currently living and playing in Spain. Your right that there arent too many people from outside europe playing there.

SuperDuy
02-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Canada we have only the big universties have tennis teams.

University of toronto tennis: http://www.varsityblues.ca/index.aspx?tab=tennis&path=tennis