PDA

View Full Version : Jo-Willy using Aeropro drive cortex!!!!!

Mr.Brightside
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_AeroPro_Drive_Cortex/descpageRCBAB-BAPDC.html

i guess it's official.

[d]ragon
01-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Any pics of him actually using it?

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-07-2010, 05:14 PM
I dont get it. The strongest guy on the mens tour uses the lightest chick racquet.

10isDad
01-07-2010, 05:20 PM
There is this...Not a pic, but an announcement from Babolat:

http://www.babolat.com/#/tennis/it/whatshot/271

JoelDali
01-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I dont get it. The strongest guy on the mens tour uses the lightest chick racquet.

And its yellow.

http://www.miominipony.com/Variants/seaponies/Sea%20Spray-res.jpg

ahile02
01-07-2010, 06:57 PM

I seriously doubt he plays with a stock APDC......probably leaded up big time

Ross K
01-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm actually still amazed by this! :shock: ...

How the heck does J-W go from that old Wilson frame whatever it was (not sure if the real frame beneath the pj was ever properly identified) to... ahem... an APD???!!!... man, that's going to be a masterpiece of a custom job?!:smile:

Anyone got further details or thoughts on this altogether strange switch?

R.

jace112
01-09-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm actually still amazed by this! :shock: ...
How the heck does J-W go from that old Wilson frame whatever it was (not sure if the real frame beneath the pj was ever properly identified) to... ahem... an APD???!!!... man, that's going to be a masterpiece of a custom job?!:smile:
Anyone got further details or thoughts on this altogether strange switch?
R.
He tried the APD from one of his friend 6 or 7 months ago. He liked it very much. He used to play with the Wilson HPS 6.5 Tour. Same racquet as in his junior years. Wilson did everything to keep him (even sent N. Fergusson!)

Ross K
01-09-2010, 01:45 PM
For real?!^^^

A top pro who, at the apex of his career, switches to a frame so utterly different from the kind of frame/frames he's wielded so successfully since his jnr days?.... I just find it very hard to believe that's all.

R.

jace112
01-09-2010, 02:21 PM
For real?!^^^
A top pro who, at the apex of his career, switches to a frame so utterly different from the kind of frame/frames he's wielded so successfully since his jnr days?.... I just find it very hard to believe that's all.
R.
Things change. Some guys in the top 100 cannot really feel a 2 kg difference in tension...

Just because they are used to adjust, to change their gear.

And they also had too, when they were on the junior tour, travelling all over the world and giving their racquets to the only stringing service available there.

DNShade
01-09-2010, 04:23 PM
You guys should know - for every Pete that can "feel the difference" of the amount of ink on the stencil and never wanting to change anything - there are twenty pros who really don't give a damn much about their equipment. They play with what they have - what they are sponsored to hit with and if they find something that they like better - they'll often switch. Most pros really aren't concerned much with their sticks and how it's set up. Most posters out here seem to know a lot more about customization than most top pros do - and they care about it much more as well. It really isn't as big of a deal as most people seem to think it is.

So it's very easy to see how someone like Tsonga would switch if he felt he played better with a stick after trying it out. Just look at Blake - Dunlop tour mold to the BLX. Pros aren't "gear heads" - the are much more concerned with actually playing tennis.

Richie Rich
01-09-2010, 04:49 PM
So it's very easy to see how someone like Tsonga would switch if he felt he played better with a stick after trying it out. Just look at Blake - Dunlop tour mold to the BLX. Pros aren't "gear heads" - the are much more concerned with actually playing tennis.

i think the opposite. going back to blake - he couldn't find anything to like for the time he spent with prince. he kept using his dunlop/tyger mold frame. obviously his "gear" was important enough to him not to switch at that time.

Fedace
01-09-2010, 05:07 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_AeroPro_Drive_Cortex/descpageRCBAB-BAPDC.html

i guess it's official.

LOL.... just cause TW has his pic next to it,,,he is using the aero cortex ???:)

DNShade
01-09-2010, 05:19 PM
i think the opposite. going back to blake - he couldn't find anything to like for the time he spent with prince. he kept using his dunlop/tyger mold frame. obviously his "gear" was important enough to him not to switch at that time.

True - but who knows what was really going on with James and Prince at the time. Maybe they couldn't come to terms with a deal - maybe he just didn't like Prince sticks over all. I was just using it as an example. James obviously is fine trying out and switching to a much different stick now, so who knows?

The point is many pros I speak with and hit with really aren't all that concerned with their equipment nearly as much as it seems most of the posters out here are.

JoelDali
01-09-2010, 07:32 PM
The point is many pros I speak with and hit with really aren't all that concerned with their equipment nearly as much as it seems most of the posters out here are.

Ther was a post a few months back with the guy that strung for AG and the guys in the Cancer Center tourney, and he mentioned just that. I forgot which pro he said didn't care about details whatsoever, I think it was Courier or Martin.

The same thing goes for film makers.

Read the DVXUser forums and they look alot like TT: a bunch of guys that will never ever achieve fame in either film or tennis, yet speak and flame as if they're Spielbergs and Federers.

Every technical detail of lighting and lenses, strings, lead tape and swingweights. They are the experts all right.

None of it equates to genius on the tennis court or behind the lens.

I'm sure if TT's best technically informed posters sat in a room with Rafa, they'd run circles around him in regards to raquet and string technology and history.

Court Valkyrie
01-09-2010, 10:30 PM

I agree...how dare a man use something that isn't 23oz with a 1,323 swingweight and a 50 sq in head....

That's sarcasm just incase the little kiddies in here don't know the difference. That's why these guys are pros and all you nerds surfing this site brag about their 16 oz racquet. Get pis sed off, i know you will your whining fuels my funny side!

bieker
01-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Strings>Rackets

kashgotmoney
01-10-2010, 02:04 PM
it should b hard to paint job considering it has the aero shaft. its gunna either b aero storm, or aero pro drive. babolat does need a few more pros representing the aero storm though

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-10-2010, 04:19 PM
I agree...how dare a man use something that isn't 23oz with a 1,323 swingweight and a 50 sq in head....

That's sarcasm just incase the little kiddies in here don't know the difference. That's why these guys are pros and all you nerds surfing this site brag about their 16 oz racquet. Get pis sed off, i know you will your whining fuels my funny side!

Well your post is moronic and not funny as well. Go bail some hay out back.

Court Valkyrie
01-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Well your post is moronic and not funny as well. Go bail some hay out back.

I knew you would get offended. KPS 88. Brag about that little racquet man! hahahaha you're such a doofus.

By the way Tsonga is going to have a good year this year...IF he stays healthy. That's his and Monfils' problems!

OliverSimon
01-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Tsonga is using the Aeropro GT: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/95680850/Getty-Images-Sport

blue12
01-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Tsonga is using the Aeropro GT: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/95680850/Getty-Images-Sport

Well it looks cool if nothing else.

TennisandMusic
01-10-2010, 07:04 PM

Hmm OR the racquet itself is an awesome piece of gear, and many MANY dudes using it would kick your rear in, while you flail around with your "manly" KPS88.

I swear, some people really don't get it.

JoelDali
01-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Hmm OR the racquet itself is an awesome piece of gear, and many MANY dudes using it would kick your rear in, while you flail around with your "manly" KPS88.

Yeah, some people don't get it at all.

That yellow chick stick is gonna fuch up Jo Jo's game big time.

Hes gonna beg Wilson to take him back in 2011.

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/chick%20o%20stick.jpg

JerrYMeeE
01-10-2010, 07:12 PM
For real?!^^^

R.

Look at Nalbandian, he used a POG OS, and although he wasn't at the peak of his career, he switched to an entirely different company, Yonex. Can't say it was for the better or worse, though.

JoelDali
01-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Look at Nalbandian, he used a POG OS, and although he wasn't at the peak of his career, he switched to an entirely different company, Yonex. Can't say it was for the better or worse, though.

I just think alot of us can't fathom him with a 100sq inch raquet and it suiting his style of game. The guy isn't a pushing, windshield wiping Wozniacki type of player.

Or Fed for that matter. Well thats an entirely different story.

:-?

ignorant
01-10-2010, 07:52 PM
is this the real thing or just a pj ?
i can't believe he switch

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-10-2010, 07:56 PM

I have two AeroProDrives w Cortex and they are hollow pieces of schit. Screw you.

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-10-2010, 07:59 PM
I knew you would get offended. KPS 88. Brag about that little racquet man! hahahaha you're such a doofus.

By the way Tsonga is going to have a good year this year...IF he stays healthy. That's his and Monfils' problems!

I don't brag about anything. Monfils and Tsonga are your braggerts. I see you are a hypocrit.

Storm_Kyori
01-10-2010, 08:25 PM
we need better quality pics, can't tell if the cortex is legit, better yet if the frame is.

innoVAShaun
01-10-2010, 10:26 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/71/fullj.aaa78d610b794d2c8ad1ba45446e8957/aaa78d610b794d2c8ad1ba45446e8957-getty-95658564md001_australian_op.jpg

Looks pretty legit to me.

Ross K
01-10-2010, 10:50 PM
I just think alot of us can't fathom him with a 100sq inch raquet and it suiting his style of game. The guy isn't a pushing, windshield wiping Wozniacki type of player.

Exactly. When I've seen him play he's much more all court than your usual APD b-line wielder.

R.

DNShade
01-10-2010, 11:03 PM
is this the real thing or just a pj ?
i can't believe he switch

It's the real thing. Come on guys. He's been using the Wilson Kobra (yes - real thing) for a lot of last year since he first tried out the Bab and has been planning on switching for a while once he got out of his contract. Not that big of a deal.

JoelDali
01-10-2010, 11:15 PM
I have two AeroProDrives w Cortex and they are hollow pieces of schit. Screw you.

0wn3rsh1p.

LOL

JoelDali
01-10-2010, 11:20 PM
I dig Jo and think hes a swell guy, I hope he does well this year even if he played with a big swap meet style turkey drumstick...with that said, lets just have a group hug and look forward to the AO.

Marshredder
01-11-2010, 12:02 AM

Nadal, Wozniacki, Tsonga, these ARE ****** players, you're right. What are they doing with this chick stick?

You're so bad with your KPS88's, why would I ever think these guys are twice the players you are?

BluDiamond
01-11-2010, 04:35 AM
This may explain the change ;)

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/93050969/AFP

and yes, i am joking before i get any aggressive replies!

THESEXPISTOL
01-11-2010, 05:03 AM
Gear is very important.. But do you think that a racquet will make that big difference? I'm laughing from a lot of these replys..
The guy probably will play with a APD near 350/360g unstrung.

Rabbit
01-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Ther was a post a few months back with the guy that strung for AG and the guys in the Cancer Center tourney, and he mentioned just that. I forgot which pro he said didn't care about details whatsoever, I think it was Courier or Martin.

You're correct. Martin and Courier were not as circumspect about their equipment as many on the boards. :) The pro who didn't know/didn't care was Jimmy Arias.

origmarm
01-11-2010, 05:59 AM
^^ Didn't Courier basically play with Gosen OG for most of his career?

DNShade
01-11-2010, 06:26 AM
You're correct. Martin and Courier were not as circumspect about their equipment as many on the boards. :) The pro who didn't know/didn't care was Jimmy Arias.

Actually I believe it was Courier who didn't know/care:

11. For people that think all pro's obsess over their racquets or know a lot about what they play with, don't include Jim Courier in that group. He will admit he knows very little about specs of any kind, and likes it that way. He figures the less he knows about that stuff, the less he has to think about (or blame) when his game isn't on.

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Nadal, Wozniacki, Tsonga, these ARE ****** players, you're right. What are they doing with this chick stick?

You're so bad with your KPS88's, why would I ever think these guys are twice the players you are?

The only one you care about is your hero Nadal. How dare anyone put him or any of his equipment in a negative light!

He supposedly plays with the old heavier leaded Aero Pro Drive non cortex versions. Wish I could trade my cortex versions in for those. I just like a solid feel man, relax, breath.

MichaelChang
01-11-2010, 07:06 AM
Good to know Jo is using the same racket as me :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/2921504354_c205f00269.jpg

Aces09
01-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Tsonga's such a beast, with that new APDGT he's going to be getting so much more racquet head speed and more spin/control because of it! :-D
Tsonga's heading straight to #1 with his new Babolat!!
lolz...

JoelDali
01-11-2010, 07:35 AM
This may explain the change ;)

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/93050969/AFP

and yes, i am joking before i get any aggressive replies!

Awesome!

:)

JoelDali
01-11-2010, 07:36 AM

Yeah, Chang is ripping it up on tour!

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Does anybody remember that video a few weeks ago of Murray practicing with Alex Corretja. Guess what racquet Alex was using. APD. I am going to get mine out again restring it tight and see what the hoopla is about.

10ACE
01-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Here's a picture of Tsonga with the APDGT

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo/im:urn:newsml:sports.yahoo,getty:20050301:ten,phot o,63f82c9f4768017b2b11ff9e04842f1a-getty-95658564md020_australian_op:1#photoViewer=urn%3Ane wsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cgetty%3A20050301%3Aten%2Cpho to%2Caaa78d610b794d2c8ad1ba45446e8957-getty-95658564md001_australian_op%3A1

Marshredder
01-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Gear is very important.. But do you think that a racquet will make that big difference? I'm laughing from a lot of these replys..
The guy probably will play with a APD near 350/360g unstrung.

What was Tsongas racquet before? I know Nadals APD isn't very heavy at all, its 312g unstrung!

lew.m.f.tennisfan
01-11-2010, 10:46 AM
is tsonga using the real thing

klementine
01-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't know what lay-up or mods Tsonga has... But the APDC is a perfect foundation for customization.

Tsonga must have been tinkering and practicing with this stick for the past year or so to make the switch final.

Wondering why wilson was using him to promote the cobra... Maybe they had a heads up that he was in talks with babolat.

Whatever the cost, hope he plays well this year.. he's a very exciting player to watch.

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
What was Tsongas racquet before? I know Nadals APD isn't very heavy at all, its 312g unstrung!

Thats basically a stock APD. Where did you hear this?

KuanMaster
01-11-2010, 11:32 AM
his afro is gone :O

Marshredder
01-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Thats basically a stock APD. Where did you hear this?

The website of a guy that strings for the professionals.

http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/pro_racquet_specs.html

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-11-2010, 11:54 AM
The website of a guy that strings for the professionals.

http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/pro_racquet_specs.html

Thanks man, so his swingweight was at 355.

everard104
01-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I don't understand what the big debate is about anyway. Wilson developed the Kobra for Tsonga to mimic the APDC anyway. The specs are nearly identical. It won't be that much of a change. The effects on his game with a Babolat racquet will be a psychological one.

ollinger
01-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Nearly identical specs? I think the Kobra has a very different (lower) stiffness rating.

Marshredder
01-11-2010, 12:09 PM

Yeah, although the racquets only slightly heavier, most of the weight is at 12 o clock, its head heavy with a high swingweight!

everard104
01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Well ya..'nearly' doesn't have the same meaning as 'identical.'
But the aero shape and design of the Kobra was Wilson's version of the APDC without it being identical. Jo-Willy apparently still wasn't satisfied and made the switch in the end.

Cup8489
01-11-2010, 12:19 PM

yes. the APDC plays much, much better with significant amounts of lead added to it. gives it a solid feel, and if the higher swingweight doesnt bother you, it makes it a different frame entirely.

still, the KPS88 is my favorite racket, and in my case it seems more powerful than the aeropro drive, but also more precise. i dont get why everyone in this thread is making a big deal about the kps88 being a 'man stick' or whatever. IMHO, it's just a better racket, for how i play.

Dgpsx7
01-11-2010, 12:24 PM
yea, i think this is weird. However, i don't really care for jo willy.

Ross K
01-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Q... As I can't believe too many ppl play with it stock, what's the consensus of opinion re modding up an APD/C to give it some stability and solidness? Where do most put the lead and how much?

Cheers,

R.

VGP
01-11-2010, 01:10 PM

Love the lead at 3 & 9.

Wonder what Chang's specs are.....

Cup8489
01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Q... As I can't believe too many ppl play with it stock, what's the consensus of opinion re modding up an APD/C to give it some stability and solidness? Where do most put the lead and how much?

Cheers,

R.

i believe i discussed this with you in another thread, that i'd polarized mine with lead on the handle and at 12 o'clock, and i put 10 grams at 12, 8 at the buttcap. I'm not sure what the swingweight was, i believe mid to high 350's, and it helped with solidity a great deal.

I have started to play with modded Wilson stings (the old, old 85" mids with a crossbar, modded with 12 grams of lead at 3&9, they're beasts to say the least), but I am actually about to sit down, strip the lead from my APDC, and start over with a more headlight balance, and also i'm going to add the majority of weight to 3&9, to help with twisting and stability.

I haven't decided for sure yet, but i plan on stripping it down to stock, remove the grip, and perform these modifications: 12 grams of lead under the handle (i may use fishing weights to save the grip from being built up too much), 10 grams @ 3&9, 4 grams just above the handle, and 4 grams @ 12 oclock. I will then be replacing the grip with a 1.5 mm TW Leather, with tournagrip over that and follow up with some SPPP string, tension not yet determined. should hit a fairly heavy ball, but more importantly i think this will help tremendously with some S&V, allow me to let the racket do its thing instead of worrying about whether it twists on me more not.

Hope this helps,

Cup

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-11-2010, 06:45 PM
i believe i discussed this with you in another thread, that i'd polarized mine with lead on the handle and at 12 o'clock, and i put 10 grams at 12, 8 at the buttcap. I'm not sure what the swingweight was, i believe mid to high 350's, and it helped with solidity a great deal.

I have started to play with modded Wilson stings (the old, old 85" mids with a crossbar, modded with 12 grams of lead at 3&9, they're beasts to say the least), but I am actually about to sit down, strip the lead from my APDC, and start over with a more headlight balance, and also i'm going to add the majority of weight to 3&9, to help with twisting and stability.

I haven't decided for sure yet, but i plan on stripping it down to stock, remove the grip, and perform these modifications: 12 grams of lead under the handle (i may use fishing weights to save the grip from being built up too much), 10 grams @ 3&9, 4 grams just above the handle, and 4 grams @ 12 oclock. I will then be replacing the grip with a 1.5 mm TW Leather, with tournagrip over that and follow up with some SPPP string, tension not yet determined. should hit a fairly heavy ball, but more importantly i think this will help tremendously with some S&V, allow me to let the racket do its thing instead of worrying about whether it twists on me more not.

Hope this helps,

Cup

Thats sounds great that you are leading it up so it is solid and all. But why would anybody want a fat azz 26 mm beam? Why not just get a Youtek Speed Pro with a slim 17mm beam?

benasp
01-11-2010, 08:55 PM
I think he really like the stick otherwise Babolat would have made him endorse the Aero Storm since they don't sell very much aka: no men endorse them" and I don't think that APD cant sell more than they already do.

OliverSimon
01-11-2010, 09:02 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/71/fullj.aaa78d610b794d2c8ad1ba45446e8957/aaa78d610b794d2c8ad1ba45446e8957-getty-95658564md001_australian_op.jpg

Looks pretty legit to me.

Is he using Alu in there or the new black Pro Hurricane strings?

origmarm
01-12-2010, 12:34 AM
I think he really like the stick otherwise Babolat would have made him endorse the Aero Storm since they don't sell very much aka: no men endorse them" and I don't think that APD cant sell more than they already do.

Strange that they didn't have him just play with a paintjob though. I would say it would be almost impossible to tell the difference given the frame shapes

Buckethead
01-12-2010, 08:23 PM
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2010-01-11/201001111263182776765.html
here is another pic.

OliverSimon
01-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Looks like he still has the flame dampener but is he using Alu or Pro Hurricane :confused:

Kutchuk
01-13-2010, 06:47 AM
I would say it looks like the same string as Nadal. It would be logical to try to get him endorse that string too. It's easier when changing the frame as well.
But we would need better pictures to be sure !:shock:

Cup8489
01-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Thats sounds great that you are leading it up so it is solid and all. But why would anybody want a fat azz 26 mm beam? Why not just get a Youtek Speed Pro with a slim 17mm beam?

b/c the yt speed pro, IMHO, is garbage. if i was gonna get a thin box beam frame, it'd be the KPS88 (which i am). The APDC was customized to do what it's expected to do, except better. booming heavy topspin groundstrokes, big serves, and not much else.

phoenicks
01-13-2010, 06:53 AM
he 1na imitate Nadal to go 1 step further from his near miss to winning SLAMS !!!!

dgoran
01-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Willy is using a cortex at least in its match against soderling last night.

Camera zoomed in on his stick while he was sitting in his chair right before the match and its showed cortex.

This of course brings questions if its APDC or APDC GT I could not see if it had tungsten obviously but it deffinitelly has cortex.

ericsson
01-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Is he using Alu in there or the new black Pro Hurricane strings?

According to my source (someone @Babolat) it's the same string that Rafa uses, so no Alu power.

cknobman
01-13-2010, 08:54 AM
why is this a surprise to anyone? we all saw Tsonga using a Wilson Kobra last year (yes he really was using it) which is an obvious wilson knockoff of the aeropro racquet anyways. Seems wilsons feeble attempt was not enough for Tsonga to stay.

dgoran
01-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Not surprised here APD apd is an awesome racket. I am sure gt version is great if not better as well according to tw reviews on this boards

raging
01-13-2010, 09:11 AM
According to my source (someone @Babolat) it's the same string that Rafa uses, so no Alu power.

ericsson, can you please ask if it is pht black or something else(custom for Rafa)??
I have spoken to contacts with babolat uk/france but info at the moment is a bit confused.??
One source said it was a new PHT black developed for Rafa and pro players(like Tsonga, Moya, Roddick etc (although he still hybrids with VS).
Another (Babolat UK) said it was exactly the same string/construction as PHT gold.
Maybe you can clarify?

OliverSimon
01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Interesting he also switched to the new hurricanes.

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-13-2010, 01:55 PM
b/c the yt speed pro, IMHO, is garbage. if i was gonna get a thin box beam frame, it'd be the KPS88 (which i am). The APDC was customized to do what it's expected to do, except better. booming heavy topspin groundstrokes, big serves, and not much else.

Why is it garbage?

JerrYMeeE
01-13-2010, 05:42 PM

Or Fed for that matter. Well thats an entirely different story.

:-?

this is true. oh well.

Djoker_69
01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=Marshredder;4267364]Nadal, Wozniacki, Tsonga, these ARE ****** players, you're right. What are they doing with this chick stick?

well if there so bad would you like to share how many gs finals youve been in?

how many atp/wta titles youve won?

how many millions of fans around the world you have?

martini1
01-14-2010, 08:34 AM

It's gotta be one of the most popular, easiest to play stick on the planet. Come on, even Michael Chang and a bunch of retired pro with minimum or no sponsorship on their rackets plays with APDC.

Mr.Brightside
01-14-2010, 09:31 AM

I know. But it still says on TW he's using Aeropor cortex

martini1
01-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Love the lead at 3 & 9.

Wonder what Chang's specs are.....

It's stock APDC, no pj for sure :)

martini1
01-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Well ya..'nearly' doesn't have the same meaning as 'identical.'
But the aero shape and design of the Kobra was Wilson's version of the APDC without it being identical. Jo-Willy apparently still wasn't satisfied and made the switch in the end.

It's more about the contract switch than the stick. Babo probably paid him a good deal of money to snatch him from Wilson. I am sure there are many companies will to pay big buck to snatch Delpo as well.

Marshredder
01-14-2010, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=Marshredder;4267364]Nadal, Wozniacki, Tsonga, these ARE ****** players, you're right. What are they doing with this chick stick?

well if there so bad would you like to share how many gs finals youve been in?

how many atp/wta titles youve won?

how many millions of fans around the world you have?

Epic sarcasm comprehension fail.

I was arguing against those saying its a chicks stick by pointing out a number of great players using it.

And anyway, I bet my tennis "e-weiner" achievements are more profound than yours.

nalbandian
01-15-2010, 04:45 PM
http://www.tennis.com/galleries/gallery/News/201001130045027002967-p2@stats.com.jpg

I think he is using the gt.

Mr.Brightside
01-16-2010, 11:07 AM
http://www.tennis.com/galleries/gallery/News/201001130045027002967-p2@stats.com.jpg

I think he is using the gt.

and i think we all know that already.

does anyone know whether his cortex is real?

Buckethead
01-16-2010, 11:13 AM
I saw his match against Verdasco yesterday,and you can already see that he lost control.Many shots out of the doubles line,his volleys aren't the same since he changed to Kobra,and now even worse and it has to do with the string as well,but he is playing with a lot more spin now,probably one of the reasons he changed to the type of racket.
I hope he gets better.

benasp
01-16-2010, 12:49 PM
I hope it won't mess with his wonderful drop volley he did against Nadal two years ago

baseline_monster
01-17-2010, 06:33 AM
I hope it won't mess with his wonderful drop volley he did against Nadal two years ago

yeah, he managed to do that shot about 10 times in that semi, love it. i dont think ive seen nadal beated so comfortably ever

JoelDali
01-17-2010, 07:43 AM
I saw his match against Verdasco yesterday,and you can already see that he lost control.Many shots out of the doubles line,his volleys aren't the same since he changed to Kobra,and now even worse and it has to do with the string as well,but he is playing with a lot more spin now,probably one of the reasons he changed to the type of racket.
I hope he gets better.

The effects are indisputable.

This is not the right stick for Chaka.

He looks utterly confused.

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/chaka.gif

raging
01-23-2010, 07:47 AM
The effects are indisputable.

This is not the right stick for Chaka.

He looks utterly confused.

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/chaka.gif

Good one!

Yes, Jo-Willy looks really confused, all the way to last 16!

He has got the whole thing...APDC GT! The strings are new prototype (source is Babolat UK) which Tsonga, Nadal and Roddick are all using . Other Babolat string contract players are considering...Still not confirmed is that Jo-Willy is using 1.25 gauge. I guess the stringing room will have to verify...??

madmanfool
01-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what does GT mean? Or what racquet are you referring to when you say GT? Not exactly an expert an the babolat racquets, sorry.

dexian
01-23-2010, 08:10 AM
GT is Babolat's newest technology knows as Graphite Tungsten which "increases" racquet stability.

mmaster
01-23-2010, 08:14 AM
it means gimmick technology

JStar7
01-23-2010, 11:53 AM
I wonder if his AeroPro Drive GT is extended like his KBlade used to be....anybody know?

klementine
01-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Wasn't Tsonga using a HPS 6.1 95 stretch 18x20 (euro-version) prior to this switch? (all pj's)

Saw his match against Haas today... I don't care if he's holding a frying pan... his serve is deadly.

dgoran
01-23-2010, 04:09 PM
I am little surprised but i think its real cortex gt

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_JCQDreq94LI/S1uPlM8mXuI/AAAAAAAABLk/W1-scVkHQP4/s800/89a22542944c5c22ab026cb6be5dcb3b-getty-tennis-aus-open.jpg

iowaviking11
01-23-2010, 05:42 PM
def looks like cortex is real, and not painted on

quest01
01-23-2010, 05:44 PM
I like the new racquet Tsonga is using, the APDGT which is the same racquet or paintjob Nadal uses. Tsonga seems to be more consistent from the baseline and he's hitting with more spin. It looks like it was a good change for Tsonga to switch from Wilson to Babolat. He did use the Kobra tour which is similar to the APDC. This goes to show anyone that you don't need to swing like Nadal and use a windshield wiper forward to properly use the APDC like many people have said.

lefty10spro
01-25-2010, 08:27 AM
There is no equipment that will give you the athleticism and grooved technique that the world's best possess. As someone close to the game I know for a fact that most (not all) touring pros know and care very little about rackets and strings. Find a racket that will move your feet and hit the ball for you yet? This being said, trying to find a racket that "feels" just right for you is fun!

dgoran
01-27-2010, 12:02 PM
So the only unknown is if its 2nd gen with paintjob or 3rd gen APDC but it definitely has cortex

baseline_monster
01-28-2010, 05:21 AM
Top level players could play with nearly anything, the only reaso they dont switch much is they dont have time to fully adapt to new gear. If we switch, we may lose a few matches, if they loose a few it costs them big bucks. I think that players using the same racket for years goes to show that it is better to get something and stick instead of forever changing, FACT. They will only change if they really like something and it improves there game

Djoker_69
05-28-2010, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=Djoker_69;4275709]

Epic sarcasm comprehension fail.

I was arguing against those saying its a chicks stick by pointing out a number of great players using it.

And anyway, I bet my tennis "e-weiner" achievements are more profound than yours.
ooh ok, my names jay andricic i just made australias jnr davis cup squad and we're in the final.......what about you

OKUSA
05-28-2010, 05:08 PM
can't wait for the day when someone calls me a girl for using a apd stick

hoosierbr
05-28-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure why there are some people who dismiss Babolat racquets as "chick sticks." That was the rap until guys like Moya started winning Grand Slams and people took notice.

I remember there were folks who dismissed the Prince O3 White as a chick stick but lots of good pros and coaches used it and still do. I believe John Isner still swings it.

OKUSA
05-28-2010, 05:18 PM
they must be getting bageled by players using said sticks

babolat141
05-28-2010, 07:13 PM
im not suprised he's using the real thing.

I mean its not like he grew up playing with the non cortex version.

niktub
09-11-2010, 03:22 AM
Babolat APDC GT +

baseline_monster
09-11-2010, 04:11 AM
way to reopen a dead thread dude!

niktub
09-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Yup.
I hope to post some pictures soon.