PDA

View Full Version : Tips on moving "into" the ball on forehands..

morten
01-08-2010, 01:14 AM
I sometimes tend to stand still, even backing on forehands making me loose a lot of control and power, balls can go anywhere... I have a sound technique except this part, any mental tips on what to focus on, actually my footpositioning is good i think..... I am simply too passive in the upper body i think, you are supposed to move/lean foreward as you hit right?? On the run my forehand is great, also as the opponent is at the net, strange... I have a Edberglike forehand, eastern/continental grip.

ManuGinobili
01-08-2010, 01:56 AM
The problem is not that you're not leaning forward, the problem is you dont know what to do in those situations

To clarify, you dont have to move/lean forward, it's just a good way to add some extra racket head speed for a closed stance forehand.

basically a study done comes out with this equation:
body speed x 1.5 = extra racket head speed
Moving forward into the shot adds on average 6mph, leaning back can take off 4 I think... 5-10% of your racket head speed... can be felt but not life changing

On to the problem. I'd suggest doin drills that put you into these specific situations, so you can practice hitting forehands standing still or tracing backward. It will give you consistency and rhythm.

For inspiration, look at this shot lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlHzxOK_TBY
The body movements is the same every time he hits it... watch for that backpedaling shots in future matches

morten
01-08-2010, 02:48 AM
sounds right... well i just cannot decide what swing i like the most either, always experimenting on takebacks, swings and body positioning, alsotaking the ball early vs later(later works better for me btw)... The rest of my game/strokes is good so this is a bit annoying since the forehand is such an important stroke.more input appreciated, Thanks

fuzz nation
01-08-2010, 05:34 AM
I like to tell myself to "get off my back foot" when I hit a routine stroke off either side. If I feel my weight rolling across the inside edge of my right foot as I push off with my forehand (I'm a righty), I know I'm stepping on my gas pedal to go through the shot instead of getting stuck more flat-footed.

If I want to bump a heavy door open with my left shoulder, I need to set my right foot out behind me so that I can push off. If I leave that right foot under me, I have no leverage. In the same way, I want to set my right foot behind me so I can push off through my forehand.

I learned how to do this when I experimented with a really heavy, flexible racquet as a training aid on the practice courts (not for match play). I couldn't swing it for much more than fifteen minutes or so unless I really engaged my legs for a more efficient move through the ball. I don't recommend this technique for everyone, but it was a big help for me as I overhauled my strokes a few years ago.

morten
01-08-2010, 09:54 AM
sounds good fuzz, so you mean push off like completely with the right foot? or "get off my back foot" as in not having so much weight on my right/back foot? which would be the opposite...a bit confused...

fuzz nation
01-09-2010, 07:15 AM
That feeling in my feet tells me that I've transferred my weight forward through my stroke. For me, my forehand is better with that deliberate weight shift onto my left foot as I stroke the ball. By comparison, my one-handed backhand is best when I'm on my right foot before the stroke happens.

If I hit a forehand and find myself leaning over to my right side with all of my weight on that foot at the finish, I've gotten to the ball too late to move forward through the stroke, right? When I hit a good forehand, I've moved nice and early to my contact zone, I'm turned and set for my swing, and my forward stroke through the ball feels like it's initiated by that push off from the inside edge of my right foot.

morten
01-09-2010, 10:12 AM
great, for a minute there i thought you meant hitting off the right leg, now i am with you, try and hit as your weight shifts to the left foot, or weight completely on the left foot? this goes for the open stance too right? If you have the time of course. I do it perfectly and naturally on my one h bhand... but found it hard as i thought this weight transfer applied mostly to closed forehand style(like completely same as backhand only opposite side)

Netspirit
01-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Play soccer for 15 minutes. Kick some penalty shots. Your brain will quickly remember the feeling and effects of moving into the ball.

fuzz nation
01-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Weight transfer can be quite different as you hit with a more open stance. Instead of a deliberate move onto the left foot, you may see more weight remain on the right side and that leg lifts to power the stroke more than it drives forward. This depends on how much of a modern style of forehand you use.