PDA

View Full Version : Measure your serve speed...

gzhpcu
01-08-2010, 01:38 AM
I have an iPhone, and just found this application, which acts as a radar gun.
http://speedhero.com/
Will try it out next week. This would be a real low cost alternative to a radar gun...

Anybody test it yet?

ManuGinobili
01-08-2010, 01:46 AM
wow that looks money... and is a lot of money!! Can't find radar guns in my country let alone tennis clubs in the area, so this will be an useful tool if it really works

aphex
01-08-2010, 02:42 AM
I have an iPhone, and just found this application, which acts as a radar gun.
http://speedhero.com/
Will try it out next week. This would be a real low cost alternative to a radar gun...

Anybody test it yet?

apparently it records the sound your serve makes:shock::shock:
no way that can be accurate...

Jaewonnie
01-08-2010, 04:13 AM

hmm...so a heavy spinned floaty serve might register a high speed?

Mig1NC
01-08-2010, 04:52 AM
Not compatible with WinMo, iPhone, or Linux phones?

gzhpcu
01-08-2010, 07:22 AM

The way it works (I took a look at it without trying it out yet), is that you have to go 11,9 meters from a wall or fence, then serve. It knows the distance, so it registers the sound from the impact of the serve and then the sound from the impact on the backdrop. Should work well...

aphex
01-08-2010, 07:24 AM
The way it works (I took a look at it without trying it out yet), is that you have to go 11,9 meters from a wall or fence, then serve. It knows the distance, so it registers the sound from the impact of the serve and then the sound from the impact on the backdrop. Should work well...

yep, reread it...you're right....i'm probably gonna download it...
we don't have a wall at the club-i hope the sound from the fence works...

goran_ace
01-08-2010, 10:21 AM

If that's how it works then don't even bother buying the app. Not hard to figure out how to do that yourself for free.

gzhpcu
01-09-2010, 04:09 AM
If that's how it works then don't even bother buying the app. Not hard to figure out how to do that yourself for free.
And how would you do it in an accurate fashion?

Bashi
01-09-2010, 06:54 AM

im assuming you can measure sound to the tenth of a decibel in your head?

Danstevens
01-09-2010, 09:42 AM
yep, reread it...you're right....i'm probably gonna download it...
we don't have a wall at the club-i hope the sound from the fence works...

I might give it a go, it isn't too expensive and if it works with any sort of accuracy, it might be a fun thing to play with occasionally.

im assuming you can measure sound to the tenth of a decibel in your head?

:shock: Bashi, you seem to be saying that like you can't :confused: :wink:

01-09-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't think this is about measuring decibels, but measuring the time interval between sounds instead, correct?

Danstevens
01-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't think this is about measuring decibels, but measuring the time interval between sounds instead, correct?

That's how it came across to me. Of course, knowing the distance covered and the amount of time between the sounds, it would be relatively simple to calculate the average speed of the ball between contact with the racket and contact with the wall/whatever else is in the way.

tennisdad65
01-09-2010, 10:41 AM
very smart idea :)
I think it can be fairly accurate if you place the phone exactly midway between serve contact point and wall. I would love to see someone with a speedtrac radar gun also use this and confirm how well this works.

marosmith
01-09-2010, 04:28 PM
very smart idea :)
I think it can be fairly accurate if you place the phone exactly midway between serve contact point and wall. I would love to see someone with a speedtrac radar gun also use this and confirm how well this works.

Instead of someone using it and seeing if it's accurate, let's argue about it and talk about it for a few pages.

Xenakis
01-09-2010, 04:50 PM
I've just bought and dl'd it.

The app works fine, easy to dl and install. Won't be able to test it until either the snow melts (not looking that likely atm) or I play indoors (Tuesday possibly)

Will have to remember to take a tape measure with me to the court as the distance has to be exact for this to work.

A bit of a whimsy really, I can measure serve speed by videoing my serve and counting frames. Also you don't really need to know how fast your serve is, if it looks really fast and your opponent has difficulty returning it, then it's fast enough.

I'll report back in a few days.

Rock Strongo
01-09-2010, 05:04 PM
I just bought the app aswell. Tried it in my small room by bouncing a ball against the wall and got about 140 mph:P But i'll try it for real at tomorrow's practice and will report back with results.

Bashi
01-09-2010, 05:05 PM
That's how it came across to me. Of course, knowing the distance covered and the amount of time between the sounds, it would be relatively simple to calculate the average speed of the ball between contact with the racket and contact with the wall/whatever else is in the way.

but if that were true, you'd have to hit the ball at exactly the same angle every time. if you hit at a few degrees sharper downward, the ball would take longer to reach the wall, skewing your result significantly

J011yroger
01-09-2010, 09:14 PM
It's fast enough.

And you call yourself a man. . .

J

benasp
08-22-2010, 10:53 AM
don't waste money on that.

1- go take some math course
2- record yourself serving with you iphone, you can say where it landed after each serve to be very accurate
3- import to you computer and download audacity
4- select the area between the serve sound and the bounce sound, the time will be written very accurately in the bottom of the screen
5- Do some math and save money!