PDA

View Full Version : Some Rating Improvement Advice Sought

asked_answered
01-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi folks. I'm new to this board, although I've read here for a while now, and I'd appreciate some advice on how to bump up my USTA rating. I'm currently ranked 2.5 T (tournament-exclusive rating) in Texas, which I received from one tournament that I played in during July of last year (2 games won for per match for 2 singles matches). I've improved quite a bit since then, to the point where the head pro of my club has told me that I would "not be embarrassed" if I chose to play in a USTA 3.5 singles league this year. (I've never played league tennis of any sort.) There's no room on the club's USTA 3.5 team for me (and I'd never get to play, anyway), so I'm going to play Ultimate Tennis, instead. In the meantime, I'd like to play a few USTA tournaments with the goal of upping my USTA rating as quickly as possible. Any suggestions? Thanks very much in advance!

apor
01-08-2010, 05:23 PM
i suggest you practice a lot, play a lot of matches, and win at the tournaments. that's the way to improve your ranking. sounds pretty simple, huh?
edit: by the way, the better you get, the more you realize how much you suck. or at least that's been my experience.

MrCLEAN
01-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi folks. I'm new to this board, although I've read here for a while now, and I'd appreciate some advice on how to bump up my USTA rating. I'm currently ranked 2.5 T (tournament-exclusive rating) in Texas, which I received from one tournament that I played in during July of last year (2 games won for per match for 2 singles matches). I've improved quite a bit since then, to the point where the head pro of my club has told me that I would "not be embarrassed" if I chose to play in a USTA 3.5 singles league this year. (I've never played league tennis of any sort.) There's no room on the club's USTA 3.5 team for me (and I'd never get to play, anyway), so I'm going to play Ultimate Tennis, instead. In the meantime, I'd like to play a few USTA tournaments with the goal of upping my USTA rating as quickly as possible. Any suggestions? Thanks very much in advance!

Well, to address one point, if you were only winnning 2 games a match in 2.5's 6 months ago, I would think that you would get hammered pretty hard in 3.5s, even if you have improved a bunch since then. Play some 3.0 tournys and see how you do (the first Major Zone in TX starts a month from today in Abilene!).

In my experience, there is about half a point difference in Ultimate Tennis ratings vs USTA ratings. By that I mean that a guy playing 3.5 in Ultimate Tennis would be about a 3.0 in USTA tournaments. If I were you, sign up for 3.0 for the upcoming session of UT, if you smoke them all, it's only a few months long and you can play up in the spring/summer. In USTA, start off in 3.0 and see how you do. If you get crushed, move down to 2.5. If you win some and lose some, stay. If you win most of the time, move up to 3.5.

Topaz
01-08-2010, 06:18 PM
I agree with Mr. Clean...start with some 3.0 tournies and see how you do. Your biggest weakness will likely be lack of match play.

Is there room for you on a 3.0 team somewhere?

asked_answered
01-08-2010, 09:07 PM
apor: *grin* I'm working on it!

MrClean: Thanks for the suggestions! Actually, I was self-rated at 3.0 and playing 3.0s (both of whom are now computer ranked as 3.5s) in the tournament. That said, playing in 3.0 USTA tournaments is probably the wisest move. I didn't know that about UT ratings; that actually makes me lean toward playing 3.5 in UT. Hmm.

Topaz: Thanks! I never thought about looking for a 3.0 team outside my club, but I think the registration deadline has passed. I'll definitely check into it, though.

asked_answered
01-24-2010, 03:48 PM
I played in a USTA 3.5 men's doubles tournament this month with a recently bumped-to-3.5 guy, and, although we didn't win any matches, the scores weren't too bad:

1st match: 3-6; 6-4; 0-1 (Coman tiebreak in lieu of third set)

2nd match: 5-7; 2-6

3rd match: 5-7; 3-6

It's definitely an improvement over my singles tournament matches of last year. :-)

asked_answered
01-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Oops. The 2nd match was actually 6-7; 2-6.

asked_answered
09-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Second Update: After playing in two USTA 3.0 singles tournament draws this year (2-2), 1 mixed 3.5 doubles tournament draw (1-1), and a USTA Mixed 7.0 league this summer (3-0), I decided to join my club's USTA 3.5 men's league team. (We still don't have enough players to form a 3.0 league team.) My partner (a 3.5C player) and I won our first match 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8) against two 3.5C players. I'm still rated 2.5, but I finally feel like that might not be the case by the end of the year. :)

asked_answered
09-26-2010, 06:33 PM
That tiebreaker score was 10 to 8. I'm not sure where the emoticon came from.

asked_answered
10-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Third update: I played another league match this past weekend with a new 3.5c partner against a 3.5c and a 3.0c, and we won 7-6 (8-6), 6-3.

dafox
10-06-2010, 07:38 AM
why are you telling us your scores??

asked_answered
10-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm shooting for three strikes and a rating promotion; the scores are listed to show potential strikes. That said, it's silly to post about that here, so I won't any longer.

AlexDK09
10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
As said above, just play a lot of matches. You probably experienced this already but there is a lot of difference between playing a competitive match and playing a practice match.

asked_answered
10-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks, Alex. I agree. Right now, I'm playing on a local singles ladder in between my league matches, and I hope that those competitive, if lower key, matches will help me improve.