PDA

View Full Version : Exercises to help strengthen my knees.

TennisNinja
01-08-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm starting to have knee pain, and it's affecting how I play when it hurts really bad. I'm icing it a lot and taking painkillers sometimes, but are there any things I could do, like stretches or weight exercises that would help my knee strength? I know with my elbow problems I had stretches to use and also wrist curls helped build up my forearm.

In D Zone
01-08-2010, 11:18 PM
first - You need to rest. Make sure you heal first from knee inflamation. If it does not go away after a week, might want to seek medical help to make sure your knees are ok.

After the knee heals, try light/ no weights knee bends (squats), lunges and side knee stretches. start slow with 10x3 sets every day or every other day.

Don't want to jump into doing weighs on knees. Goal is to slowing build muscles and resistance around the knee area.

After few weeks of light / no weights exercise. go the gym to work on knee curls, glu /back curls, squats and calves raises. start with the lightest weight and slowly add 5 -10 lbs on each set. Do about 3 sets and rest. again the goal to slowly build strenght and muscles on and around the legs.

hope this help...

fuzz nation
01-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Shock absorbing inserts/orthodics can be extremely effective for tendonitis or other maladies in the legs. They've certainly worked for me in the past.

The one best thing I've done to make my knees happy, healthy, and pain free on the tennis courts is to ride a bicycle at least twice a week. Only moderate exertion for maybe 30-40 minutes does the trick and in these winter months, there are alternatives to venturing out into the frozen tundra. Exercise bikes/treadmills are around at the gyms, but if you have a bike, you can consider getting one of those gizmos that you mount your own ride onto so that you can use it for a stationary indoor workout. The better ones are actually rather quiet.

Cindysphinx
01-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Go see an orthopedic surgeon before you do anything else. There are all sorts of maladies that will get much worse and could do permanent damage if you try to "strengthen" your knee when something is wrong.

Once you've been checked out, you can do some PT, which will give you exercises you can do at home to address your specific problems.

TennisNinja
01-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Ok, thanks for the responses everyone. I'm certainly going to do some knee bends, lunges, and stretches. I'll probably start riding my bike a lot more and not just going for runs, and I'll look into those shock absorbing inserts.