PDA

View Full Version : Finally I'm convinced!!

Flatspin
04-24-2005, 04:08 AM
I started many years ago playing this game. For many years I played with the Head Classic mid, then the PS 6.0 and the last couple years the i Prestige Mid. The i Prestige series has been one of my all time favorite sticks. For me, the i Prestige mid has been my "holy grail". Now Head is discontinuing the great frame I've always been open minded and continue to demo different frames hoping to find something new and better. I just don't see it ........ I just don't see frames have gotten better. I've argued on this forum not long ago that technology will improve frame performance. Now, I'm not sure that I was correct. It's seeming that racquet manufactures are more interested in making money through marketing rather than quality. Perhaps because it's hard to make money producing real "players" frames because it appeals to such a small group. I don't know ..but perhaps. Why did Head discontinue the i Prestige mid? Really sucks!!! They should have just painted it a different color and renamed it. lol

Jonnyf
04-24-2005, 04:20 AM
i checked head.com and they said that the swing length is L6 so they recommend head iTour Lm Prestige and Lm Radical

AndrewD
04-24-2005, 04:44 AM
Just the same as in most sports the essence of the game remains unchanged. You see the ball, you hit the ball. Hit it in, you win the point. Hit it out you lose the point. So, just as the game is still relatively the same (yes, power is a bigger factor but errors still lose most points in club tennis) so too are our equipment needs. Your basic requirements are only - bigger, lighter, stiffer, more flexible, heavier, smaller. So, once you work those out its not to hard to choose a frame that will fit your style. The technology makes very little difference outside those variables. 'Feel' is overrated, flexibility/stiffness is far more important. Power is overrated, controllable power is the real necessity. All of those things are inherent elements in any racquet (just at differing degrees) so any extras -nano technology, power holes etc- are just fluff.

Gaines Hillix
04-24-2005, 05:40 AM
Agreed, but why don't you pick up a few unstrung iPrestige frames and store them away for future use? Since they are discontinued you can probably pick them up at a good price.

hummer23
04-24-2005, 10:37 AM
that true, you can get them for a very low price all ove rthe place. een tw's 125 isnt bad for a former 200$ frame.

Flatspin
04-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks, I've two frames and one unstrung. But a point I wanted to make was that when a racquet manufacturer gets something right ...... why do they disgard it for something new that isn't as good? Why don't they keep everything that is good and improve on it. Instead they change the material composition, weight etc. I just don't understand!!!!!

AndrewD
04-24-2005, 05:37 PM
I think if you try to understand the logic you'll just end up with a headache. Classic cars, racquets, watches etc, etc are 'classics' because manufacturers got the whole package right. They become discontinued because they realise, in getting it right, people wont want to move on to the next model and revenue will drop. We live in a disposable society and companies want us to buy, dispose and re-buy on a 3 yearly basis. Yeah, it's kind of screwy but what can you do? At least be thankful you've found something you really like and can still build up a little stockpile.

brian.sat
04-25-2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks, I've two frames and one unstrung. But a point I wanted to make was that when a racquet manufacturer gets something right ...... why do they disgard it for something new that isn't as good? Why don't they keep everything that is good and improve on it. Instead they change the material composition, weight etc. I just don't understand!!!!!

Yes, I agree your statement, and so do Head. The i-series was going the wrong way so Head have to correct it. You can see the new Flexpoint Radical coming up with RA58 which was the same as the first generation.

i-series is best known for hurting elbow and joints which a player ever avoided.

ferrari_827
04-25-2005, 09:28 AM
The IPrestige Mid is a special type of stick. For sheer accuracy, I haven't played with one that can beat it. Simply point and shoot.

I find that this is a very good frame for me on days where I'm spraying balls long. Definitely a keeper.

However, the IPrestige Mid is suitable only if you are a fairly advanced player with fast swings. Those with slower or inaccurate swings will get little out of it.

Jonnyf
04-25-2005, 09:33 AM
oh right sorry i thought you were looking for a new racquet

william
05-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Try the LM Prestige it feels very similar to the i.Prestige and in my opinion better

Steve F.
05-02-2005, 12:40 PM
Agree with Gaines on this. I'd stock up. The only let down is psychological, as if Christmas will never come again. But that's only from paying too much attention to marketing. Cheer up! By the time you've played through your stock, either Head or someone else will have come out with a replacement you like, or you'll be so old you won't be know the difference!