PDA

View Full Version : Putting more topspin on the backhand

ubermeyer
01-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Hi, my 2 handed backhand has been too flat, weak, and short recently. I don't know what's going on, but when I try to hit more topspin or put more power on it, I mishit it... but I AM watching the ball. :confused: Help?

LeeD
01-09-2010, 02:36 PM
More shoulder turn, closed stance, turn over your racket on the followthru and finish strong but not high.
Post vid, of course.
Loosen up your grips, especially on the strong dominant hand. Those two hands of yours can sometimes fight each other making for tight, weak, slow swings.

LeeD
01-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Oh, and the more topspin you put on the ball, the SLOWER it goes thru the air. You have to have a real fast swing to get topspin and ballspeed.
Say your normal 2hbh flat goes 60 mph right now. If you add double the topspin with the normal swing, your ballspeed drops to 30 mph! :shock::shock:
Double your swing speed with topspin just equals your previous flat slow 60 mph ball speed but now you've added topspin.

ManuGinobili
01-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Hi, my 2 handed backhand has been too flat, weak, and short recently. I don't know what's going on, but when I try to hit more topspin or put more power on it, I mishit it... but I AM watching the ball. :confused: Help?

You need a few practice sessions where you can go all out on the backhand without fear of it sailling long or dumping into the net. If you dont have access to lessons, just ask a friend to feed you balls... as little as 20 balls will do.

I don't want to say alot on top of what LeeD had said, because that might confuse you. So:
For power, remember big shoulder turn (in practice try turning so that the line that connects your shoulders is perpendicular to the back fence).
For spin, drop the racket head before contact. The low to high motion is how Sampras created that mad spin. Also on a backhand you don't have to finish over the shoulder.

Practice will get your shots back to rhythm and consistency, so dont hesitate .

ubermeyer
01-12-2010, 08:01 PM
thanks everyone

unfortunately a video is not an option

naylor
01-13-2010, 12:10 AM
... The low to high motion is how Sampras created that mad spin...

Yes, but Sampras played SHBH. It's a lot easier to put power with a lot of topspin when you're generating mostly linear momentum from a closed stance position by hitting through the ball with a low-to-high motion in the SHBH, than when you're generating mostly angular momentum by rotating around a vertical axis from a neutral or open stance position in the DHBH.

In the latter, you generate the most power by hitting flat on a horizontal plane perpendicular to the vertical rotation axis. If you tilt the hitting plane upwards (to hit low to high) while still relying on rotation to generate angular momentum, you lose power - the horizontal component - in order to generate topspin (from the low to high component). Of course, you can recover the power lost by spinning faster, but then you have to control the faster rotation in a low-to-high tilted plane to still hit the ball in the correct contact point (and the right footwork, etc.) - not easy.

In practice, therefore, if you play DHBH you'll tend to hit a flatter backhand ball, with some topspin but not huge - by no means an easy ball to defend against (think of Safin's backhands, for instance). But if you want to take a big carve at the ball and generate Nadal-forehand-like topspin on the backhand, then you need to go SHBH.

Davis937
01-13-2010, 12:40 AM

... hmmm ... you probably have the 2HBH stroke down pretty pat ... when I start to mishit on the 2HBH, I immediately work on my footwork to ensure that I get myself into the optimal hitting position ... I've also been experimenting with a shoulder dip (right shoulder ... I'm right handed) ... just before I step into the ball to hit I will dip my right shoulder slightly ... this seems to give me a little more power and some extra topspin ... I also use a loop backswing and come up to the ball low to high ... finally, I use a continental for my right hand grip ... my left hand is in a semiwestern grip ... I've heard that this grip is more conducive to topspin than the eastern (for nondominant hand) ... the "practice" suggestion always works, too ... good luck and let us know how you're progressing!

35ft6
01-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Hi, my 2 handed backhand has been too flat, weak, and short recently. I don't know what's going on, but when I try to hit more topspin or put more power on it, I mishit it... but I AM watching the ball. :confused: Help?Play mini tennis. In order to hit with a full stroke and keep the ball in play in mini tennis, you have to be hitting with top spin. Maybe have somebody feed you balls in the service line if you don't have anybody good enough to help sustain a rally inside the service boxes.

Really brush up on the ball. Imagine how lightly you would hit a basketball spinning on your fingertip in order to make it spin WITHOUT knocking it off the finger. Brush up on the ball that much until you get the flatness out.