PDA

View Full Version : toe jamming into shoe

joshburger
01-09-2010, 02:35 PM
many times during matches, my big toe jams into the front of my tennis shoe. this causes me a lot of pain and is a big annoyance. does this happen to anyone else? and if so what solutions do you use to solve this problem? the only thing i could think of was to always keep the nail on the big toe short... is there anything that you guys do?

joshburger
01-09-2010, 06:02 PM
bummmmmmmmmmp

tennisdad65
01-09-2010, 06:15 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=298808

I posted this there also:
These are some options. I use the first 3
1) trim your toe nails real short. I do this weekly.
2) lace up tight near the toe box
3) 2 pairs of socks
4) wear toe nail protectors. I found them uncomfortable and they do not last long.

charliefedererer
01-10-2010, 08:21 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=298808

I posted this there also:
These are some options. I use the first 3
1) trim your toe nails real short. I do this weekly.
2) lace up tight near the toe box
3) 2 pairs of socks
4) wear toe nail protectors. I found them uncomfortable and they do not last long.

All these suggestions are great.
The other is to retighten your shoes after your 10 minute warmup. Inevitably, your lacing has shifted a little and your socks are now compressed down, so retighten your shoelaces.
Is it possible you would do better in a B width New Balance shoe, but that is 1/2 a size larger?

chess9
01-10-2010, 12:16 PM
I went from 11.5 to 12, and now have size 12.5 shoes. My toes were always black at 11.5. I have Morton's Toe, so I need the extra length. My second toe always takes a whoopin'. ;)

-Robert

bad_call
01-10-2010, 12:46 PM
changed shoe brands. got "black toe" (bruised nails) from the barricades.

Cindysphinx
01-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I have black toe from my Barricades. I don't want to go up a size because I tend to get blood blisters on the balls of my feet if my shoes aren't tight enough.

Gotta stick with the Barricades because of PF. Which means I will be wearing pumps with my swimsuit this summer, maybe.

Maybe I will just paint all of my toenails black. That's Goth, right? :)

bad_call
01-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I have black toe from my Barricades. I don't want to go up a size because I tend to get blood blisters on the balls of my feet if my shoes aren't tight enough.

Gotta stick with the Barricades because of PF. Which means I will be wearing pumps with my swimsuit this summer, maybe.

Maybe I will just paint all of my toenails black. That's Goth, right? :)

definitely goth baby. ...but i've heard that the nail falls off sometimes. not so pretty. :(

Panic492
01-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Used to get black toe nails from NB all the time. Went to Barricades and up in size and eliminated the problem.

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-10-2010, 05:09 PM
I always wondered if that was caused by an elevated heel on the shoe down to the toe box. Seems like an level design would be best and low to the ground.

bad_call
01-10-2010, 05:12 PM
I always wondered if that was caused by an elevated heel on the shoe down to the toe box. Seems like an level design would be best and low to the ground.

you just described the shoes i switched to after the barricades.

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-10-2010, 05:18 PM
you just described the shoes i switched to after the barricades.

Which is what Geniuses, Vapors?

bad_call
01-10-2010, 05:29 PM
^ went to the Prince T9s. they are about worn out so next are the BFIIs. they are a bit elevated in the heel but hoping they work out (got them on sale).

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-10-2010, 06:54 PM
^ went to the Prince T9s. they are about worn out so next are the BFIIs. they are a bit elevated in the heel but hoping they work out (got them on sale).

What is BFIIs?

cphstennis
01-10-2010, 07:33 PM
yeah ive had problems with that and the pressure points on my feet hurting while i play. ive begun to wear 2 pairs of socks and its helped out alot

bad_call
01-11-2010, 04:40 AM
What is BFIIs?

Breathe Free 2...nike.

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-11-2010, 06:13 AM
Breathe Free 2...nike.

Are they really light like the Adidas feathers?

JRstriker12
01-11-2010, 06:17 AM
Odds are your shoes are too small and you don't have enough room in the toebox. Try going up a half a size. You could also look for shoes that have a more roomy shoe box.

bad_call
01-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Are they really light like the Adidas feathers?

don't think so.

Blade0324
01-13-2010, 07:37 AM
I experienced this problem early on in my playing career. The solutions I have had to use are as follows:

Keep nails trimmed short.
Started using Archmolds custom insoles.
Tighten shoes most at the bottom near toes.
Tape both big toes completely before playing or practicing.

These things have helped my toes recover nicely but if you play often at a high level you will still have pretty bad feet and toes. It just comes with Tennis.

TennisDawg
01-22-2010, 12:12 PM
I had a similar problem and went to a foot doctor and he fitted me for some custom orthotics that helped I stll had very painful big toe joints, so I went to a larger shoe. Still no relief.

I went to another foot doctor and had foot surgery. Bone spurs in my toe joints. Caused by small shoes. The doctor explained to me that as we age are arch weakens causing your feet to expand (lengthen). Your bones don't actually grow but your foot becomes more elongated. Your toes jam and over time, you can develop bone spurs.

The pain is gone, now and I am recovering.

Carefully examine and measure your feet before you have the same problem believe me, you do not want that problem.