PDA

View Full Version : Wilson reflex specs!

teachingprotx
01-09-2010, 08:45 PM
I have been in love with this frame for quite awhile, being a long time prostaff 85 st vincent man, i looked for another that had alotta flex and control but had the static weight , head light balance and the feel of a "filled" frame and this was it.....if you dont know this frame it has an elongated neck or throat resembling the kneissl's of yesteryear, without the euro egg shaped head.spec are as below::)
sw= 355
strng weight= 13.2oz
flex/rdc=51
7pts head light
mine is strung w/ old syn gut( so old cant even read it)
hope this helps!:)

FedererClone
01-10-2010, 08:22 AM
You mean this frame, my main stick?

http://gallery.me.com/fastlens#100393

FedererClone
01-10-2010, 08:23 AM
http://gallery.me.com/fastlens#100393

teachingprotx
01-10-2010, 10:35 AM
yes!!! the sweet Wilson Reflex 85...mine is a 4 and 3/8's...:)i have been wanting the specs for a loooooooooooong time..now we got em!

FedererClone
01-10-2010, 10:44 AM
yes!!! the sweet Wilson Reflex 85...mine is a 4 and 3/8's...:)i have been wanting the specs for a loooooooooooong time..now we got em!

BRO I am PSYCHED! This is a killer stick. Love the specs.... I have a bunch of these frames leaded slightly differently. Email your Reflex escapades and compare notes, either here or directly to me at fastlens @ mac.com

FedererClone
01-10-2010, 10:49 AM
...never had 6.0 st vinc but did hit with a nice Chicago for a while BTW. I refer the Reflex, but can't compare to st vinc as they are too much $$$

matchmaker
01-10-2010, 11:27 AM
I have been in love with this frame for quite awhile, being a long time prostaff 85 st vincent man, i looked for another that had alotta flex and control but had the static weight , head light balance and the feel of a "filled" frame and this was it.....if you dont know this frame it has an elongated neck or throat resembling the kneissl's of yesteryear, without the euro egg shaped head.spec are as below::)
sw= 355
strng weight= 13.2oz
flex/rdc=51
7pts head light
mine is strung w/ old syn gut( so old cant even read it)
hope this helps!:)

I OWE YOU ETERNAL GRATITUDE.

I have five of them and as I do not have access to an RDC machine, I could never get the specs.

But if you read my posts about this one, I guesstimated its specs quite correctly. I always thought it had a sort of medium flex. Well, 51 is low, but in that time, and compared with its predecessor the graphite matrix, it would have been medium.

I always knew this one had a killer swingweight, that is why it crushes the ball like no other frame. I also put headtape on it, so I am basically playing with an over 360 SW frame.

I had also figured out on feel, that the balance was somewhere in between 8 and 6, in comparison with other frames I played.

Many many many thanks, you are the man!

Now I know this, I could actually find other frames that can be customized to these specs.

FedererClone
01-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I OWE YOU ETERNAL GRATITUDE.

I have five of them and as I do not have access to an RDC machine, I could never get the specs.

But if you read my posts about this one, I guesstimated its specs quite correctly. I always thought it had a sort of medium flex. Well, 51 is low, but in that time, and compared with its predecessor the graphite matrix, it would have been medium.

I always knew this one had a killer swingweight, that is why it crushes the ball like no other frame. I also put headtape on it, so I am basically playing with an over 360 SW frame.

I had also figured out on feel, that the balance was somewhere in between 8 and 6, in comparison with other frames I played.

Many many many thanks, you are the man!

Now I know this, I could actually find other frames that can be customized to these specs.

This has made my YEAR!

teachingprotx
01-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys!!!!! im so glad i could help both of you! :) I would have sworn on my life that the reflex rdc was gonna be in the low 40's....shows how bad i am at guessing frame stiffness...however...i knew the swingweight was gonna be a beastly number...

matchmaker
01-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys!!!!! im so glad i could help both of you! :) I would have sworn on my life that the reflex rdc was gonna be in the low 40's....shows how bad i am at guessing frame stiffness...however...i knew the swingweight was gonna be a beastly number...

Well, the RDC was lower than I thought, I would have put it at 58 or so...

As the Reflex is a vintage frame with no Kevlar in it, one could have guessed the RDC to be low, but it has a certain stiffness too; it does not play like a wet noodle.

The swingweight does not surprise me now, as comparing it with any other frame, you need a very good preparation or you are simply late. It is a scalpel-like racquet in that, if your timing is right, you can really kill the shot and the ball is going to land exactly where you planned. But if your timing is slightly off, you are going to spray the ball or hit it out.

It is really a good thing I never knew the specs of the frame when I started to use it. It even took me a few months to buy a digital scale and see to my surprise the static weight of my frames + 2 overgrips, dampener and head tape was over 370 grams.

If someone had told me the frame had such a beastly swingweight, I would never have tried it. You see, people are always afraid of the unknown, but basically this frame has provided me with a killer flat FH and a very heavy serve that I did not really have before. My strokes were okay, but they did not have that weight behind them, nor could I hit a winner or a rally-deciding shot out of the blue, as I can with this frame.

My 1HBH has suffered a little though. That used to be my money shot and it still gets me a good number of free points, but you really have to be on the ball. I have the impression that I hit more consistent BH's with a slightly lower swingweight. Just a few days ago, I hit with a Volkl VE mid, which I sold to a friend a while ago and he let me try it again, and though I had leaded up the frame, it felt noticeably more manoeverable than the Reflex and my BH was spectacular, but my FH lacked the heavy ball.

My theory is that for a 1HBH you don't really need a high swingweight because it is a very stable movement with a very big amplitude, whereas on the serve and the FH, the SW really helps. Although again, when you are on, you can hit killer BH's with the Reflex. Once I hit 4 consecutive BH winners to break my opponent on love. That was quite a memorable experience.

The Reflex is a frame that allows you to play lights out if you play often. If you let a week go by without playing, you will find yourself late on certain shots.

Again, I cannot thank you enough for the specs.

teachingprotx
01-10-2010, 04:45 PM
MM you my freind are welcome!!!!! so glad i could help:)

FedererClone
01-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Well, the RDC was lower than I thought, I would have put it at 58 or so...

As the Reflex is a vintage frame with no Kevlar in it, one could have guessed the RDC to be low, but it has a certain stiffness too; it does not play like a wet noodle.

The swingweight does not surprise me now, as comparing it with any other frame, you need a very good preparation or you are simply late. It is a scalpel-like racquet in that, if your timing is right, you can really kill the shot and the ball is going to land exactly where you planned. But if your timing is slightly off, you are going to spray the ball or hit it out.

It is really a good thing I never knew the specs of the frame when I started to use it. It even took me a few months to buy a digital scale and see to my surprise the static weight of my frames + 2 overgrips, dampener and head tape was over 370 grams.

If someone had told me the frame had such a beastly swingweight, I would never have tried it. You see, people are always afraid of the unknown, but basically this frame has provided me with a killer flat FH and a very heavy serve that I did not really have before. My strokes were okay, but they did not have that weight behind them, nor could I hit a winner or a rally-deciding shot out of the blue, as I can with this frame.

My 1HBH has suffered a little though. That used to be my money shot and it still gets me a good number of free points, but you really have to be on the ball. I have the impression that I hit more consistent BH's with a slightly lower swingweight. Just a few days ago, I hit with a Volkl VE mid, which I sold to a friend a while ago and he let me try it again, and though I had leaded up the frame, it felt noticeably more manoeverable than the Reflex and my BH was spectacular, but my FH lacked the heavy ball.

My theory is that for a 1HBH you don't really need a high swingweight because it is a very stable movement with a very big amplitude, whereas on the serve and the FH, the SW really helps. Although again, when you are on, you can hit killer BH's with the Reflex. Once I hit 4 consecutive BH winners to break my opponent on love. That was quite a memorable experience.

The Reflex is a frame that allows you to play lights out if you play often. If you let a week go by without playing, you will find yourself late on certain shots.

Again, I cannot thank you enough for the specs.

thanks for these comments man. I have leaded up the Reflex quite a bit
(3 grams 12 o'clock / 6 grams 9 o'clock & 6 grams 3 o'clock / plus about 6 grams in the handle) and it feels wonderful on the court. I let the stick do all the talking, focus on as smooth a swing as possible. I am 6'3" and 210 so it's a hefty stick in a good way. I agree you have to be spot on for the 1HBH (both slice and topspin) but it's a beauty on the forehand. Volleying is solid also, and I find the serve is a nice weapon. I grew up watching Sampras and am obv a Fed fan so I go for the classic game on the court. Luckily I have a court at home that I use a lot, mostly w/ a ball machine as I'm out in the middle of nowhere... but I love it when people come over for a few sets... anyhow, great to know the specs!!

matchmaker
01-10-2010, 08:32 PM
thanks for these comments man. I have leaded up the Reflex quite a bit
(3 grams 12 o'clock / 6 grams 9 o'clock & 6 grams 3 o'clock / plus about 6 grams in the handle) and it feels wonderful on the court. I let the stick do all the talking, focus on as smooth a swing as possible. I am 6'3" and 210 so it's a hefty stick in a good way. I agree you have to be spot on for the 1HBH (both slice and topspin) but it's a beauty on the forehand. Volleying is solid also, and I find the serve is a nice weapon. I grew up watching Sampras and am obv a Fed fan so I go for the classic game on the court. Luckily I have a court at home that I use a lot, mostly w/ a ball machine as I'm out in the middle of nowhere... but I love it when people come over for a few sets... anyhow, great to know the specs!!

Wow, leading up a 355 SW frame. That is quite something

The Reflex is about the only frame I do not feel the need of leading up.

Your serve must be like Sampras' with such a beasty frame!

The volleys are rock solid as you mention. I love to attack the net with this frame. Slices are good per the weight in the racquet head, but when changing directions one has to be careful with the slice, it is very easy to overdo and miss the line.

But when you hit your spots, there is nothing remotely similar to the Reflex. It does work well with a smooth swing.

FedererClone
01-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Wow, leading up a 355 SW frame. That is quite something

The Reflex is about the only frame I do not feel the need of leading up.

Your serve must be like Sampras' with such a beasty frame!

The volleys are rock solid as you mention. I love to attack the net with this frame. Slices are good per the weight in the racquet head, but when changing directions one has to be careful with the slice, it is very easy to overdo and miss the line.

But when you hit your spots, there is nothing remotely similar to the Reflex. It does work well with a smooth swing.

the one thing I did really focus on was the footwork with this hefty stick; if you're on, if you float, if you're in shape and in the zone, you get in the right place then you know the stick will do the work.... obv this is easier said than done!

I usually sail through the first set, then do find on occasions I'm getting winded w/ the frame in the second/third set.... that's when it's hard to use the stick; when the ball sails on you when you're slicing 'cause you're a bit late, swinging a bit too fast on the forehand 'cause you're half a step late, but then the mental side comes in, and you just try to see the spin on the ball, exhale on contact, split step every time you should, keep your head still on contact and a million other things you're not supposed to "think" but just "do" and consequently sometimes tank ... and wish you were a dozen years younger!

But then you get up to serve and leave the mind blank and blast some first serves and gather that composure again... a little bit like davydenko did a coupla days ago against Nadal after being bageled first set then nailing the match.... unbelievable!

FedererClone
01-10-2010, 09:59 PM
...BTW you should try leading it up too... it's even better on the court. Just keep the head balance similar; plow through is much nicer IMHO

matchmaker
01-11-2010, 04:54 AM
the one thing I did really focus on was the footwork with this hefty stick; if you're on, if you float, if you're in shape and in the zone, you get in the right place then you know the stick will do the work.... obv this is easier said than done!

I usually sail through the first set, then do find on occasions I'm getting winded w/ the frame in the second/third set.... that's when it's hard to use the stick; when the ball sails on you when you're slicing 'cause you're a bit late, swinging a bit too fast on the forehand 'cause you're half a step late, but then the mental side comes in, and you just try to see the spin on the ball, exhale on contact, split step every time you should, keep your head still on contact and a million other things you're not supposed to "think" but just "do" and consequently sometimes tank ... and wish you were a dozen years younger!

But then you get up to serve and leave the mind blank and blast some first serves and gather that composure again... a little bit like davydenko did a coupla days ago against Nadal after being bageled first set then nailing the match.... unbelievable!

I find myself thinking about how to swing the stick when I haven't played in a couple of days.

Usually, when I am on, I can stand the SW over 2 or 3 sets. Yes, I ocasionally have these "spells" in a match during which I lose a couple of games in a row, but I am going to attribute that to the mental part, more than to the racquet. It happens so often you win the first set and then start start off too confident in the second.

teachingprotx
01-11-2010, 01:50 PM
AMEN too that MM...Amen... hitting late which i do often w any stick especially on the FH can be a death shot w the reflex...i was playing/teaching last week with her and damn near killed a client from a clocked "late" forehand, she was postioned 7 feet back beyond the baseline...she ducked and the ball stuck into the fence ughhhh......very embarising my freinds....:confused: looking back on it its hilarious but at the time i thought i was gonna die....THE RE-FLE -FLE -FLE-FLEx!!!! sorry had to write it like duran duran sings it.....:)

FedererClone
01-11-2010, 07:13 PM
AMEN too that MM...Amen... hitting late which i do often w any stick especially on the FH can be a death shot w the reflex...i was playing/teaching last week with her and damn near killed a client from a clocked "late" forehand, she was postioned 7 feet back beyond the baseline...she ducked and the ball stuck into the fence ughhhh......very embarising my freinds....:confused: looking back on it its hilarious but at the time i thought i was gonna die....THE RE-FLE -FLE -FLE-FLEx!!!! sorry had to write it like duran duran sings it.....:)

LOL I grew up in the UK with Duran Duran.... The number of times I sing that song in my head when I pick up the frame.... managed to squeeze out a 7-6 set today w/ the Reflex before we quit due to time constraints. Took the breaker 7-3. But did have some wild backhands today; really had to prepare for the 1HBH after some wild flyers, but the forehand was on, as was the serve. So annoying to be up 5-3 and slide into a tie breaker. But a great set. One game on his serve had about 9 deuces... really tired us out.... anyhow:

The reflex is a lonely child just waiting by the park...
The reflex is in charge of finding a treasure in the dark...
And watching over lucky clover isn't that bizarre...
Every little thing the reflex does leaves you answered with a question mark......

The REFLEX FLE-FLE-FLE-FLE-FLEX!!!!!

vsbabolat
01-11-2010, 07:46 PM
The Reflex (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDnNF5cHCdo&feature=related)

FedererClone
01-11-2010, 10:26 PM
The Reflex (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDnNF5cHCdo&feature=related)

Hilarious post-Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome MTV ERA big band brit "rock"
They were more fun in the Rio video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3W6yf6c-FA&feature=PlayList&p=C86C8939C45EE7A2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=88

Tennis Man
01-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Reflex is arguably the best bang for the buck among older Wilson graphite frames right now.

I place it between Pro Staff 85 , Ultra II Midsize and JK Staff as my top favourite Wilson midsize frames. Definitely a solid SW, nice flex and maneurability. Thanks for the info.

I also got like 4-5 of them in near mint condition for collection and a few for playing.

VGP
01-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Tennis Man, have you ever tried out the Wilson Graphite Force?

Since you like classic frames are familiar with Wilson mids, I'd love to hear your opinion on it.

plasma, before he was banned posted it to a thread comparing other frames to the PS85......

....there are a couple of threads on here, but....

.....I should start a thread of my own as an homage to the frame.

FedererClone
01-28-2010, 10:28 PM
hey I see your homage to the frame. I have a couple of these sticks; not bad, but doesn't quite feel "subtle" enough on the court. I do like the 16/19 pattern though, and its a smooth swingin' stick.... but keep going through those old Wilson 85s and you'll possibly find a better frame IMHO

FedererClone
01-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Reflex is arguably the best bang for the buck among older Wilson graphite frames right now.

I place it between Pro Staff 85 , Ultra II Midsize and JK Staff as my top favourite Wilson midsize frames. Definitely a solid SW, nice flex and maneurability. Thanks for the info.

I also got like 4-5 of them in near mint condition for collection and a few for playing.

what are your notes on reflex vs 6.0 BTW? thanks in advance...

Tennis Man
01-29-2010, 06:22 AM
Tennis Man, have you ever tried out the Wilson Graphite Force?

Sorry VGP, I never played with Graphite Force. You made me curious.
I'm also not a big fan of Graphite Matrix b/c of it's fiberglass composition. :)

what are your notes on reflex vs 6.0 BTW? thanks in advance...

I'm not good at describing racquets' playability. While I like how Reflex plays it's no competition to Pro Staff 85 St Vincent. What makes it very playable is nice SW, HL balance and small maneuverable head size. However more flex and narrower throat make it a bit unstable for off-center shots (I get more of them for some reason than with PS 85).

VGP
01-29-2010, 07:06 AM
hey I see your homage to the frame. I have a couple of these sticks; not bad, but doesn't quite feel "subtle" enough on the court. I do like the 16/19 pattern though, and its a smooth swingin' stick.... but keep going through those old Wilson 85s and you'll possibly find a better frame IMHO

Yeah, it's not as "subtle" but I know you favor the Reflex and Matrix mids. You do get that flexy, more feel oriented experience from those frames moreso than the Graphite Force.....

Sorry VGP, I never played with Graphite Force. You made me curious.
I'm also not a big fan of Graphite Matrix b/c of it's fiberglass composition. :)

If you can check it out. It is different than the PS85. But it's not all that flexy like the Matrix/Reflex.

From what I've read, the Graphite Force is a graphite/fiberglass composite but the flex associated with fiberglass is offset with the thicker beam - 20mm as opposed to the conventional 17/18 mm of a Graphite Matrix. In this case, I think the fiberglass aids in dampening - like what's advertised with the current BLX line.

If you ever try one, post your comments. I started a thread on it here (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=309673).

FedererClone
01-29-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm not good at describing racquets' playability. While I like how Reflex plays it's no competition to Pro Staff 85 St Vincent. What makes it very playable is nice SW, HL balance and small maneuverable head size. However more flex and narrower throat make it a bit unstable for off-center shots (I get more of them for some reason than with PS 85).

i agree -- but I do now favor the Reflex with lead in the handle and 3/9/12 o'clock; you must try this before considering its prowess next to the 85 6.0. There's a touch of magic in there w/ the right weight and balance to match your game...

FedererClone
01-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Yeah, it's not as "subtle" but I know you favor the Reflex and Matrix mids. You do get that flexy, more feel oriented experience from those frames moreso than the Graphite Force.....

If you can check it out. It is different than the PS85. But it's not all that flexy like the Matrix/Reflex.

From what I've read, the Graphite Force is a graphite/fiberglass composite but the flex associated with fiberglass is offset with the thicker beam - 20mm as opposed to the conventional 17/18 mm of a Graphite Matrix. In this case, I think the fiberglass aids in dampening - like what's advertised with the current BLX line.

If you ever try one, post your comments. I started a thread on it here (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=309673).

It's true I have hit with the Graphite Matrix and Pro Matrix and have the frames -- plus the St Vinc Kramer Staff 85 -- but all don't quite "get there" for me. I'm not sure about any of these frames w/fiberglass, but I do agree the thicker frame on the Graphite Force helps overcome the f'glass 'bendy-ness' somewhat. It's not quite as manouverable as I'd like and, as I mentioned above, lacks a certain 'feel' other Wilson frames provide... maybe I'll go hit with it to re-fire the synapses for a better definition....

The Kramer 85 is a weird hefty beast, and it should be better than what it feels which always confused me. I never quite worked up enough confidence with the frame, even after a strong familiarity w/ the abilities of it. It's a beautiful stick though, and I got rid of two stunning frames that I sometimes wish I still had... but even if I did still have 'em they'd just look pretty in my tennis bag!

FedererClone
12-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Interested in comparing the reflex with the Force 85. Identical frames, not sure about Force 85 specs. Where can that be found I wonder?

FedererClone
12-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Will post pics tomorrow next to the Reflex...

Hit with her tonite; there is more flex in the frame yet it is heavy and steady. Off center hits are not too forgiving, very sweet slice BH action, felt nice on the 1HBH and very soild serving. It's a bit more "whippy" than the Graphite Force (my main stick right now and thicker at like 20mm or so, so it took some adjustment ~ Tennis Man you should really give the Graphite Force a ride, you won't regret it)

As for Force 85 PWS? I would say it's a better stick than the Reflex. I actually brought the Reflex along to compare, but for some reason it didn't jive w/my game in the same vein as the Force 85... I have to say that I do not like the graphite matrix and pro matrix frames at all (same mound different construction) but the Force 85 w/PWS is definitely a sister frame to the Reflex. More flex than the Reflex but somehow feels better. maybe 70/30 or 60/40 graphite/fiber construction? Not too sure it's 50/50 as that pretty flexible. Original strings in stick and had some nice feel: a few BH slice returns on some hard serves came low and deep to the server that gave him a lot of trouble. The stick has nice feel for sure...

Would love to find the stats like we have on Reflex...
Look out for pics tomorrow

jimanuel12
03-14-2014, 12:48 PM
i bought a couple of these on the bay last year, had them restrung and they are just great racquets. very easy on the arm, i hurt my arm a few years ago and had to have a very flexible racquet, these fit the bill just fine.
if you have arm trouble, these babies have a flex rating of 51 - so they are easy on the old arms.

i am keeping my babies!!!:)