PDA

View Full Version : Having problem with Platform Serve

dproject
01-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Hi Guys,
Lately, I have switched from using Pinpoint to Platform serve. I thought originally it would help my serve result to be more consistent and efficient.
However, I feel that I am loosing the pace. I tried many times to find a way to generate the power more, but I still can't find it.
Any tips or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
I also attached my serve video if you guys want to analyze it.
http://vimeo.com/7858833

LeeD
01-10-2010, 07:44 AM
I didn't see your vid.
Anytime you move from platform to pinpoint, you're looking for more pace.
When you switched from pin to platform, you're looking for consistency and control.....meaning not pace ! :shock::shock:
If you're a righthander, look to pivot off your front foot more than you ever did, jump higher than you are now doing, and swing faster of course.
Anything that is more consistent will be less powerful, right?

charliefedererer
01-10-2010, 08:51 AM
You actually have pretty good form.
I think the biggest thing is more explosiveness on your serve from a more forceful push off with your legs, which will lead to a deeper racquet drop on your serve, and then you really want to speed up the arm motion with a "crack the whip" pronation.

For tips on a bigger pushoff try watching the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlPVdppfYGs

Your serve is similar to the person on the left of this split screen comparisom with Pete Sampras: http://www.essentialtennis.com/video/2009/11/sampras-serve-comparison/ Watching the video and incorporating the recommendations into your serve should help.

dproject
01-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys for the recommendation.
Sometimes I tried to force my arm-swing too hard and it hurts my shoulder.
Is there any problem with my toss? When I see your video, it seems that they have higher toss.

ManuGinobili
01-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Your toss is about as high as the fastest server in the world ;) You should pay attention to timing rather than the height of the toss... what matters is that you can hit the ball at the highest possible reach.

Here's a great breakdown
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/instruction.aspx?articleid=315&zoneid=13

Focus on number 2. The explosive pace is generated from the coiling of the ab. You should try to implement this (or bend your back like Murray does, but I wouldnt recommend that).

crash1929
01-10-2010, 11:40 PM
i'm in the same situation as you. i too am experimenting with swtiching and i seem to be trading pace for control.

three things:
1. Try pointing the face of the racquet down when your arm is parallel to the ground.
2. Try opening up more- get a good chest stretch in there and see what that feels like- create a bigger arch.
3. Are you thinking about hip stretch, too?

aimr75
01-10-2010, 11:56 PM
one thing i noticed was you should kick your right leg back rather then forward as you do after jumping

ManuGinobili
01-11-2010, 01:10 AM
one thing i noticed was you should kick your right leg back rather then forward as you do after jumping

Care to elaborate? Such an idea enclosed in just one sentence can lead to huge mistakes in practice.
I have seen Fed's legs do a lil running motion while in the air... Can't figure out the science behind that though..

SystemicAnomaly
01-11-2010, 04:08 AM
As CF mentions in post #2, the racquet drop could be deeper. Perhaps a greater knee bend would facilitate this. You may or may not need a slightly higher toss so that you can slow down your motion a bit prior to the racquet drop. A slower action may help to get that added knee bend and deeper (vertical) racquet drop.

I noticed the same thing. The right leg kicks off to the side and then forward. Better to have that leg kick back instead -- this will probably yield a better transfer of power to the upper body and arm. Will H talks about this leg action in the serve progression on his FYB site.

aimr75
01-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Care to elaborate? Such an idea enclosed in just one sentence can lead to huge mistakes in practice.
I have seen Fed's legs do a lil running motion while in the air... Can't figure out the science behind that though..

I noticed the same thing. The right leg kicks off to the side and then forward. Better to have that leg kick back instead -- this will probably yield a better transfer of power to the upper body and arm. Will H talks about this leg action in the serve progression on his FYB site.

SystemicAnomaly answered your question

dproject
01-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks for all the suggestion.
Especially about stretching the back and bending the knees more. I tried to do that when practicing but i still couldn't find the right timing to hit the ball. Although sometimes I got lucky to hit the ball perfectly, the result wasn't really significant. And after 15-20 tries, I burned out my knees already.
But anyway, I will try to practice that more often.

SystemicAnomaly & aimr75,
Wow I didn't even notice that!
Well, I will pay attention more on my feet after jumping. Thanks again!