PDA

View Full Version : other than at the bottom center, where else to place dampener?

mmaster
01-10-2010, 02:51 AM
ok i am already using a vibration dampener (the sampras O) but i still have a lot of shock on my PSC 6.1 when i miss the small sweetspot. i'm thinking of using another one. where's a good secondary spot to place one? up at the top center?

OrangeOne
01-10-2010, 03:12 AM
ok i am already using a vibration dampener (the sampras O) but i still have a lot of shock on my PSC 6.1 when i miss the small sweetspot. i'm thinking of using another one. where's a good secondary spot to place one? up at the top center?

Do a search, you'll find all they really do is change the sound of the contact.

mmaster
01-10-2010, 03:17 AM
look i don't want to debate whether it works or not. i'm looking for advice on where to place it, so if you can't help, then don't reply.

OrangeOne
01-10-2010, 03:24 AM
look i don't want to debate whether it works or not. i'm looking for advice on where to place it, so if you can't help, then don't reply.

There is no question that all they do is change the sound. It's not a debate, that would imply that it hasn't been researched and concluded....Hence my helpful reply is that no amount of 'dampeners' will change the vibration, so don't get a second one and don't put it anywhere.

It's a forum, so it's the wrong place to ask a question if you don't want an assortment of replies.

Oh - and you're welcome.

Marshredder
01-10-2010, 04:06 AM
They do a little bit more than just change the sound (sound being vibration they would have to change the vibration yes?) but theres no evidence that they actually have any effect in making the racquet more comfortable etc.

There are some dampeners that go in the middle at the top, but why would you want to put the dampener somewhere else? Dont fix whats not broken!

mmaster
01-10-2010, 05:05 AM
orange, you do know that even different sound created at point of contact have different frequencies? if you don't know what that means then i would stop trying to convince the majority of tennis players that use dampeners otherwise.

stop acting like your word is the final authority. i asked a simple question, not a request for a lesson. go away.

purple-n-gold
01-10-2010, 05:12 AM
Yea I'll have to chime in on this as well; having never used dampners til using my APD with full poly, I can honestly say it does make a difference in the way the string beds feels....and i only place it at the bottom,but have seen em in other folks raq at 3&9...at the top of the hoop as well, could be they're lookin to add some weight at these points.

fuzz nation
01-10-2010, 05:17 AM
Sometimes I used to put a pair of dampeners side by side at the bottom of my string bed so that they're touching the four mains in the middle of the racquet. I've seen only one or two players put one up near the tip, but I haven't tried it.

Instead of using a couple of individual dampeners, I've gotten to like the rubber band option because I can weave it through maybe six or eight of my mains and it's also physically tied onto the strings. No worrying about it flying off while I'm hitting and it seems to do the best job for me in terms of taking that "ring" out of the strings.

I often use a 6.1 Classic strung with 17 gauge syn. gut, but the rubber band also works great for me in my other frames that are much softer.

Irvin
01-10-2010, 05:18 AM
You could put two dampeners at the bottom each just off center.

You can put one up at the top of your racket but you may not have room to get them in. Also placing a dampener at the top will effect the swing weight a lot more.

You could also put the dampeners at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.

You may also want to experiment with other dampeners to see if it makes a difference like rubber bands or worms. I used to place a rubber bands on the outside of the racket for one person at the 3 and 9 positions while I was stringing the racket.

it is pretty simpe actually keep the dampener outside the interlaced string (rules are rules) and place them symmetrically in the string or you will have different feels for different shots.

Irvin

OrangeOne
01-10-2010, 12:28 PM
i asked a simple question, not a request for a lesson.

Sorry, you don't have the right to say that. One can help, if not you, then others who are intelligent enough to want to read more and learn from this situation.

stop acting like your word is the final authority.
go away. Perhaps you could stop being rude. If you don't want to discuss or learn, read other posts. In the meantime, I'll post as I choose, as I'm the only one of us that's even posting in line with the rules of the board :D

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
01-10-2010, 12:33 PM
this is ever-so-slightly entertaining :)
anyway, i thing there are those long gamma ones
which you put a 6", 3" and 9"

tennisINmyBLOOD
01-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Let's respect each other's opinions and posts... if you don't agree with someone, simply ignore the post. Orange was just trying to help, like all of us are.

Now, back to your question. I've seen people put it at 12... I would say that it is fine to put a dampener anywhere that the ball will not come into contact with. I don't know whether or not two sampras O's (or any other small dampener) will help in taking away shock. It may just change the feel, but not necessarily absorb the shock.

IMHO, I find that vibration dampeners just take away the ping noise... they don't do much else for me.

However, one type of dampener, the Gamma Shockbusters, really take out all of the shock on mishits. Makes the string bed feel mushy... like mashed potatoes. If you get a double shockbuster, place it at the bottom center, all of your mishits will just feel dead... no shock felt. The vibration seems to be absorbed by the shockbuster. If you still want feel, the Gamma Shockbuster probably isn't the way to go.

Also try softer strings... they tend to vibrate less and dampener more shock.

mmaster
01-10-2010, 04:15 PM
maybe i should try the gamma shockbusters.

yea i am already using some pretty soft strings, NRG2 17s @ 58lbs.

tennisdude083
01-10-2010, 04:33 PM
^^ The shockbuster is good if you are looking to completely eradicate all vibration... however with it ALL feel is also eliminated. It makes your stringbed feel like a sheet of wood. I actually used to use them...

Hey! Be a man. Do da right thing. Tie a #64 rubber band around the 2 center mains and witness the power. :)

mmaster
01-10-2010, 04:52 PM
believe me, i'm willing to try anything right now. my body is killing me after playing few hours on friday. my shoulder mostly, and even my hip joint, wrist, upper arm... i'm just a sore mess right now. oh and i've been nursing a sprained finger for few months and it hurts like HELL everytime i mishit (which happens very often).

Kenny022593
01-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Isn't one solution fixxing your form to make it so you don't mishit as much too? Or do not swing as hard so you don't miss hit as much?

OrangeOne
01-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Isn't one solution fixxing your form to make it so you don't mishit as much too? Or do not swing as hard so you don't miss hit as much?

I'd duck if I were you ;)

Richie Rich
01-10-2010, 06:29 PM
PSC 6.1 is a really stiff frame. it's not the string shock absorber that is your problem.....

tennisINmyBLOOD
01-10-2010, 07:15 PM
I used a Pure Drive GT... 70 stiffness rating. Used the Gamma Shockbuster and Shockbuster II with Gamma Professional 18 and yes, eradicated all vibration and all feel like tennisdude said. Mushy mushy feel, especially if you already use a multifilament. Took away my shoulder problems though.

Perhaps adding lead will make the frame vibrate less on mishits? My Aerogel 4D 300 Tour has a tiny sweetspot and it would send a whole load of shock to my arm on mishits, especially near the top of the frame. Added 3 grams of lead at 12, and it reduced the shock load a bit.

If you still find yourself in pain, it may be time to look for a new racquet... a stiffness rating of 72 is very high. The only thing that can probably tame that thing is Natural Gut 19 gauge strung at 10 lbs. :D

SplitStepper
01-10-2010, 07:42 PM
:twisted:I'd duck if I were you ;)

Lol....Good advice.

mmaster
01-10-2010, 08:08 PM
thanks, i just ordered myself a shockbuster II. the PSC 6.1 has such good feel that maybe i can sacrifice some of that for some shock relief.

as for the fixing my form/swing, etc, it's obviously what i am always working on, but it's easier said than done, not to mishit. i don't think it's about swinging too hard though, as i even mishit when i don't swing hard.

as for the racquet being so stiff, yes it's probably too stiff and i will eventually end up replacing it with a racquet that's easier on my body but until then i have to cope with my current ones.

tennisdude083
01-10-2010, 08:13 PM
believe me, i'm willing to try anything right now. my body is killing me after playing few hours on friday. my shoulder mostly, and even my hip joint, wrist, upper arm... i'm just a sore mess right now. oh and i've been nursing a sprained finger for few months and it hurts like HELL everytime i mishit (which happens very often).

If that is the case I don't think the shock dampener is your problem. A shockbuster is not likely to solve your problem either. Maybe its time to start demoing some frames.

OrangeOne
01-10-2010, 08:20 PM
If that is the case I don't think the shock dampener is your problem. A shockbuster is not likely to solve your problem either. Maybe its time to start demoing some frames.

Physiotherapy.

...that was the word you were looking for.

tennisINmyBLOOD
01-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Let us know how the Shockbuster II works for you... it may take some time to get used to the feel of your string bed, the Shockbuster really does kill all of the vibration and feedback.

Also try adding some lead tape... it seemed to send less shock to my arm when I did that.

Kenny022593
01-10-2010, 11:09 PM
thanks, i just ordered myself a shockbuster II. the PSC 6.1 has such good feel that maybe i can sacrifice some of that for some shock relief.

as for the fixing my form/swing, etc, it's obviously what i am always working on, but it's easier said than done, not to mishit. i don't think it's about swinging too hard though, as i even mishit when i don't swing hard.

as for the racquet being so stiff, yes it's probably too stiff and i will eventually end up replacing it with a racquet that's easier on my body but until then i have to cope with my current ones.

Im not saying i dont mishit if that is what my tone came off as but i think alot of my mishits come from my poor footwork and the 93 frame that i use so yeah.

mmaster
01-11-2010, 05:05 AM
Also try adding some lead tape... it seemed to send less shock to my arm when I did that.

actually i don't think i can handle any more weight on the PSC. my forehand is often sluggish and i don't need to make it worse.

mmaster
01-11-2010, 05:10 AM
Im not saying i dont mishit if that is what my tone came off as but i think alot of my mishits come from my poor footwork and the 93 frame that i use so yeah.

yea it's got me thinking maybe i should try an oversize.
i've been eyeing the LM radical OS for that reason.

PimpMyGame
01-11-2010, 05:35 AM
If I were you I'd just change the racket. Assuming your PSCs are in good condition you will get a good price 2nd hand. Go for something with a lower RA and possibly a larger head / sweetspot.

Finding another place for a dampener (not that that would help you) is the least of your worries. Do your body a favour and get a less demanding racket.

mmaster
01-11-2010, 06:56 AM
yes, i am planning to change racquets.
i plan on demoing few racquets very soon, and i've been thinking about the LM radicals (either MP or OS) as they seem to be an incredible value for what they're selling for right now.

but it's gonna take couple months for me to find the right one i take it, so meanwhile i will have to play on with my PSC with a good dampener.

dman72
01-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Prince NXG silencer/dampener does what the shockbuster does without exploding on contact and ruining shirts.

Dampeners stop the strings from vibrating..the vibration creates the sustaining "ping" you hear, and you feel that vibration in your arm as it transfers from the strings to the frame. A dampener does not effect frame vibration other than stopping the string vibration from exacerbating what's coming from the frame.

tennisdude083
01-11-2010, 05:50 PM
yes, i am planning to change racquets.
i plan on demoing few racquets very soon, and i've been thinking about the LM radicals (either MP or OS) as they seem to be an incredible value for what they're selling for right now.

but it's gonna take couple months for me to find the right one i take it, so meanwhile i will have to play on with my PSC with a good dampener.

dude how did your name change?

ronalditop
01-11-2010, 06:25 PM
If you need more shock absortion, you can buy a better dampener, the longer ones absorb more shock, like head smartsorb, which my father uses. His racquet vibrates like crazy without it. And if that is not enough, then you better change to a softer string or use less tension on your current one.

mmaster
01-11-2010, 06:49 PM
dude how did your name change?

i had tw do it for me.

---

and my shockbuster II shipped today, so i will be reporting back on whether it helps or not. thanks for the advices.

retrograde
01-11-2010, 11:59 PM
A 2008 study by Head was published in "The Engineering of Sport, Vol 2" and indicates that vibration dampeners have more than just a noise suppression effect. See post #8 here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=305908

A preview of the paper is available here:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/pm512mk160g104km/

retrograde
01-12-2010, 12:07 AM
When I demo racquets, I like to use (in order of dampening from least to most):

- No dampener
- A Sampras "O"
- A #64 rubber band tied around two mains.
- A #64 rubber band tied around four mains.
- A Gamma Shockbuster

I also have a Gamma Shockbuster II (two rows of dampening material) but it seems to provide an overly damped response for my taste. In my experience, no one of these dampeners works for all racquets. Some feel good with no dampening, some feel best with the Shockbuster.

retrograde
01-12-2010, 12:44 AM
mmaster, my apologies, I did a poor job of explaining myself ...

I intended to say that when I demo racquets, I like to try each demo with all the dampeners I listed. The list is ordered by level of damping.

On a different note, two dampeners that look interesting:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Racquet_Vibration_System_Dampener/descpageBAB-BRVSD.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Unique_Shock_Off_Vibration_Dampener/descpageUNIQUE-SHOFF.html

I'm an engineer and I've often wondered what would happen if you had a small mass on the dampener.

Good luck with your Shockbuster II. If it damps too much for you, I'd try a #64 rubber band tied across 4 mains. You'll have to stretch the band quite a bit to tie the knot, but it will work (or find a friend with small fingers).

Blade0324
01-12-2010, 12:34 PM
mmaster, I would say that I think that shock absorbers to a little bit to help with stopping vibrations. Most of the ones that just go between the two center mains really do little more than change he sound of the strings. However the shockbuster or (II) I find actually do a good bit to help with vibrations.
To your original question about somewhere else to place it, you can put it anywhere below the bottom main that that is it. Any other location is not legal.

OrangeOne
01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
you can put it anywhere below the bottom main that that is it. Any other location is not legal.

The rule (here, at least, and I think it's universal) is anywhere outside the main string pattern, ie. above the first cross, below the last cross, or outside the leftmost or rightmost main, however bizarre some of those positions may be.

OliverSimon
01-12-2010, 02:51 PM
You can put them at the top!

mmaster
01-14-2010, 06:11 AM
omg shockbuster II is da bomb.

i didnt feel any shocks from mishits.

i feel like im using a different racquet.

Blade0324
01-14-2010, 09:00 AM
omg shockbuster II is da bomb.

i didnt feel any shocks from mishits.

i feel like im using a different racquet.

Glad you liked it. I also think these are amazing. I am not one that likes to feel the ball on the strings much, and love a really dead feeling so I also love this dampener.

mmaster
01-14-2010, 07:37 PM
its most definitely worth sacrificing little feel to take away the harsh shock of the PSC. my body appreciates it very much.

thanks for the recommendation!