PDA

View Full Version : Drills the Pro's use

Jamesm182
01-10-2010, 02:38 AM
Hi

Is anyone aware of any of the drills the pro's use , and if so can you explain them, and their purpose. Or any you have tried that are good.

I coach and am looking to add some different things into lessons.

A friend of mine recently told me about a drill that Kuznetsova uses called the 'x' drill.

Just thought they would be interesting to try.

Thanks

Indiana Puffed
01-10-2010, 03:07 AM
X drill in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwwoBpdgPL4

Jamesm182
01-10-2010, 04:36 AM
X drill in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwwoBpdgPL4

Thats great thanks.

Has anyone heard of any other good ones?

Indiana Puffed
01-10-2010, 05:11 AM
Have a wee dig around that youtube users other vids, there are some great coaching sessions... courtesy of this thread-

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=301426

I have seen a better x drill vid (steady camera) than the one above on youtube but can't find it just yet but if I do I'll post.

This is a good book-

http://www.amazon.com/Tennis-Tactics-Winning-Patterns-Play/dp/0880114991/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263132446&sr=8-11

Overall the drills highlighted in the thread above promote variation of groundstrokes and footwork patterns in one go, I'm looking forward to doing them once the snow clears off my club courts, get my hitting partners up for them, and buy a massive amount of balls!

Jamesm182
01-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Have a wee dig around that youtube users other vids, there are some great coaching sessions... courtesy of this thread-

I have seen a better x drill vid (steady camera) than the one above on youtube but can't find it just yet but if I do I'll post.

This is a good book-

http://www.amazon.com/Tennis-Tactics-Winning-Patterns-Play/dp/0880114991/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263132446&sr=8-11

Overall the drills highlighted in the thread above promote variation of groundstrokes and footwork patterns in one go, I'm looking forward to doing them once the snow clears off my club courts, get my hitting partners up for them, and buy a massive amount of balls!

Are you based in the u.k too? snow is awful here. Yeh already have a geat amount of balls. Just the different drills. Been living on youtube recently studying matches and tactics. Bought a few books but don't really cover any of the advanced stuff, just very basic stuff . like what to do when your opponent is at the net etc etc.

Thanks for your help. I'll check out the youtube channel:)

Mahboob Khan
01-10-2010, 05:49 AM
In the preparation phase the Pros might do drills like the one we saw here on the youtube. During competitive phase they do more "live" playing-type drills:

Drill 1: Player A always hits cross court, B always down the line, and then change roles.

Drill 2: Players A and B establish FH to FH cross court rally in the deuce court, on a bit shorter/loose ball either player hits a winner down the line.

Drill 3: Players A and B establish BH to BH cross court rally in the ad court, on a bit shorter/easier ball either player hits a winner down the line.

Drill 4: Player A in the FH corner; player B on the opposite baseline. Player B hitting FH cross court, BH down the line, returns all the balls to player A's FH corner, and then change roles.

Drill 5: Player A in the BH corner; player B on the opposite baseline. Player B hitting FH down the line, and BH cross court, returns all the balls to player A's BH corner, and then change roles.

Drill 6: Play 21 points with serve. If you win a point from the baseline you win one point. However, if you win a point with a volley and/or smash you win 4 points.

Drill 7: Practice sets with modified scoring:

If you hit an ace you win the game
If you commit double fault you lose the game
If you hit a return winner you win the game
If you commit a return error you lose the game
If you win a point with a volley and/or smash you win the game.

Try it, it's fun.

Jamesm182
01-10-2010, 05:56 AM
In the preparation phase the Pros might do drills like the one we saw here on the youtube. During competitive phase they do more "live" playing-type drills:

Drill 1: Player A always hits cross court, B always down the line, and then change roles.

Drill 2: Players A and B establish FH to FH cross court rally in the deuce court, on a bit shorter/loose ball either player hits a winner down the line.

Drill 3: Players A and B establish BH to BH cross court rally in the ad court, on a bit shorter/easier ball either player hits a winner down the line.

Drill 4: Player A in the FH corner; player B on the opposite baseline. Player B hitting FH cross court, BH down the line, returns all the balls to player A's FH corner, and then change roles.

Drill 5: Player A in the BH corner; player B on the opposite baseline. Player B hitting FH down the line, and BH cross court, returns all the balls to player A's BH corner, and then change roles.

Drill 6: Play 21 points with serve. If you win a point from the baseline you win one point. However, if you win a point with a volley and/or smash you win 4 points.

Drill 7: Practice sets with modified scoring:

If you hit an ace you win the game
If you commit double fault you lose the game
If you hit a return winner you win the game
If you commit a return error you lose the game
If you win a point with a volley and/or smash you win the game.

Try it, it's fun.

Hi thanks for the different options there they sound great.

Couple of questions though regarding coaching concerns.

If you hit a double fault and lose the game,wouldn't this lead to players just pushing in a second serve.? which cold be the same as throwing away a point

Iv'e done similar before, which to my knowledge i hadn't read anywhere, which encouraged players to move the opponent around the court, and awarded more points for this. Say 5, as opposed to two with just a winner or mistake

Mahboob Khan
01-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi thanks for the different options there they sound great.

Couple of questions though regarding coaching concerns.

If you hit a double fault and lose the game,wouldn't this lead to players just pushing in a second serve.? which cold be the same as throwing away a point

Iv'e done similar before, which to my knowledge i hadn't read anywhere, which encouraged players to move the opponent around the court, and awarded more points for this. Say 5, as opposed to two with just a winner or mistake

Well, those who have tennis objective will not do that. Also, the modified scoring system says, "if you hit an ace you win the game". You cannot possibly hit an ace just by pushing the second serve. I understand that there are players nothing work for them but for those who have objective and want to improve they will do the drills as intended.

It is important that players give 100% effort during practices. And it is fun to try this:

Play an Australian Open tiebreak (the winner wins the AO)
Play a French Open tiebreak (the winner wins the FO)
Play a Wimbledon tiebreak (the winner wins Wimbledon)
Play a U.S. Open tiebreak (the winner wins U.S. Open).

Work hard, play hard, and have fun.

Mahboob Khan

10ispro
01-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Well, those who have tennis objective will not do that. Also, the modified scoring system says, "if you hit an ace you win the game". You cannot possibly hit an ace just by pushing the second serve. I understand that there are players nothing work for them but for those who have objective and want to improve they will do the drills as intended.

It is important that players give 100% effort during practices. And it is fun to try this:

Play an Australian Open tiebreak (the winner wins the AO)
Play a French Open tiebreak (the winner wins the FO)
Play a Wimbledon tiebreak (the winner wins Wimbledon)
Play a U.S. Open tiebreak (the winner wins U.S. Open).

Work hard, play hard, and have fun.

Mahboob Khan

another variation on the suggested format is to add requirements or stipulations.
Aussie Open--have them condition immediately before playing, so they start playing while exhausted. (aussie Open is played during extreme heat) so mental focus becomes a major factor as does technique when tired.
Not allowing your technique to break down when tired or b/c of environment is a huge asset.

To win the French Open Tie Breaker Rally must last at least 4 or ? more shots. Focus on point construction, moving the ball around, not just baseline bashing and huge serves.

Wimbledon exact opposite win the point in the least amount of strokes possible--leads to serve and volley and a more aggressive style, bonus points if pt is finished at the net

US Open--if you do it in a clinic setting have other players yell and scream and cheer during play. works on mental toughness and focus.
can also use "chance" cards. make up some cards with random things like, player gets a free point at any time. or a specific game style has to be played.

A game I love playing is a version of Offense/Defense. unlike the traditional version where its baseline, mid court and volley.
One person is on offense, their goal is to go for winners on every ball.
Defense is defending with their goal is make the person on offense hit one more ball and hopefully in an awkward situation.
Defense can loop the ball, slice whatever but cant intentionally go for winners.
Offense job is to focus on positioning to hit clean winners. When played correctly this is very physically demanding. I watched some guys at Legg mason work this on practice courts and its phenomenal
Play to 11 or whatever score you want.

Another one is Spanish Bullfight.
Players self feed---Goal is to play as long a point as possible but still win the point. Everytime the ball goes over the net and in, its a "point". Whoever wins the rally wins that many points. So if you have a 20 shot rally and you win the point, you get 20 pts. Play to 100.
Again, focuses on point construction, moving the ball around the court, positioning and switching between offense and defense.
Players can start to learn the impact long points can have on the opponent. Its easy to get to 100 and win, if you can outlast your opponent but it takes forever to get to 100 if you just accumulate alot of 1s and 2.

crash1929
01-10-2010, 07:40 PM

This is a good book-

THANKS FOR THE LINK TO THESE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS! I LOVE THIS MESSAGE BOARD. TW IS SMART.

crash1929
01-10-2010, 08:35 PM
you go andy. to think he was kidnapped by terrorist as a kid. man. check it out at 1:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p24aJacdKw

SWEET

crash1929
01-10-2010, 08:38 PM
and if you think your a hot shot try this one. its not easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH2l9khi5RU&feature=related

Indiana Puffed
01-11-2010, 03:46 AM
^^The Murray drills are good fun to watch, makes it look so easy its depressing though!

Are you based in the u.k too?

Yeah, in Scotland. If there is little or no more snow here in the coming days hopefully I should be back on the courts in a week or so. Until then, it's indoor prices which are really too steep for me, and the gym.

GeorgeLucas
01-11-2010, 04:48 AM
"Winning matches"

-Roger Federer