PDA

View Full Version : X-1, But Lighter?

volleyman
04-24-2005, 08:13 AM
I love my Slazenger X-1s. Unfortunately, it appears that they are just a little to heavy for my shoulder for daily tennis. If I would stick to doubles, I'd probably survive, but I am unwilling to give up my fantasies of being a singles player.

Given that it's the middle of USTA League tennis season, and the NTRP tournament season is fully underway, taking time off to seriously strengthen my shoulder muscles is not an option. Long term, it's the solution, but I have to play almost daily for the next 5-6 months.

So, I'm looking for lighter racquet, between 10.5 and 11.5 oz strung, that offers me control, spin, power, stability and manueverability similar to that of the X-1, to get me through. And no, I don't expect a lighter racquet to play just like the X-1. :-) I'm looking for similar, and well suited for my game.

I'm a 4.0 Server-and-volley/all court player, who's working on going with a 1-handed backhand full time. My serve is my strongest shot, followed by my semi-western forehand and volleys - I need a racquet that caters to those shots, and doesn't suck on the backhand side. Experience has taught me that racquets that blunt my strengths frustrate me way too much.

Raquetfinder suggested about 25 racquets based on the specs I fed it - these are the ones that interested me most:

Power Angle 98/K
Volkl Catapult 8 V-Engine
Wilson nPS 95
Yonex MP-2i

By Spec, the Yonex Nano Speed RQ 7 midplus looks like a possibility as well.

Any thoughts on the above racquets? Any racquets not on the list for consideration that should be there?

Coda
04-24-2005, 08:33 AM
just out of curiosity I entered in those same specs a few weeks ago and really didn't come up with much that sparked my interest...I'm going to play the vantage card here. Other than vantage I really wouldn't suggest the nPS 95...the feel is terrible compared to the slaz. I haven't played with any of the others but what about the PS Tour 95? That's a decent frame, or the discontinued Prince More Precision? There really isn't alot to choose from with these specs under the 95 sq. in. frame. Once you move to 100 inches then your options really open up.

NoBadMojo
04-24-2005, 08:34 AM
from the Vokl line the new Cat8VE would be a good choice..it's hair longer. in standard length the CatV1 and V1 Classic would also fill the bill. they're all a bit easier to swing than the X1 and have more generous sweetspots, but arent so light to be toylike. the V1Classic is the pick of the litter IMO.i've gotten many people into this frame over the years and people seem to reallylike it..it's also very easy on your body for a stiff frame.

BreakPoint
04-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Wow, interesting as I feel the X-1 is already very light, in fact, too light, that I'm considering adding some lead tape to the head. I think it already swings the easiest out of almost all racquets in the semi-player's racquet category.

With that said, out of all the racquets that you listed, the only one that I've tried is the Wilson nPS 95. I liked it and you should try it. It was much better than I thought it would be. However, I didn't think it felt as light as its specs would indicate. Perhaps that's why I liked it? You may also want to give the Head LM Radical MP a try. Good luck.

Steve F.
04-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Agree with NBM here. The V1 Classic plays with more stability and touch than its weight and beam width would suggest. The MP2i is also a great frame, with a slightly headlight balance that is highly maneuverable with great touch. Stable as well, and great spin for serves out wide. Great for s/v moreso than the V1 imo. hth and good luck --

volleyman
04-24-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm going to play the vantage card here. Other than vantage I really wouldn't suggest the nPS 95...the feel is terrible compared to the slaz. I haven't played with any of the others but what about the PS Tour 95? That's a decent frame, or the discontinued Prince More Precision? There really isn't alot to choose from with these specs under the 95 sq. in. frame. Once you move to 100 inches then your options really open up.

I have considered Vantage. But, given the price, I figure that's my last resort. With an off-the-shelf racquet, I can cut costs by haunting **** and the TW classifieds, or, if I'm lucky, go with a racquet on close out special.

As for the Pro Staff Tour 95, I found one used and should have it next week to try. It was cheap enough that I can afford for it not to be the only frame under consideration.

I am open to using frames with head sizes larger than 95 inches, as my list of options showed.

Nadal_Rulz
04-24-2005, 11:00 AM
i just switched to the ps tour 95. i really like it. im having trouble cause the place i got them at was struinging them for me and they either lost tension within 1 or 2 sessions or they had no tensiopn when i first hit with them, so im kinda ****ed off, but i still loved the demo and the first stick i played with the first time.

volleyman
04-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Wow, interesting as I feel the X-1 is already very light, in fact, too light, that I'm considering adding some lead tape to the head. I think it already swings the easiest out of almost all racquets in the semi-player's racquet category.

It does swing smooth and easy. And I am a big enough and in shape enough guy that I feel I should be able to play with a racquet with that weight. Alas, my shoulder doesn't agree, and I have learned the hard way to listen to my body over the past three years. :-(

With that said, out of all the racquets that you listed, the only one that I've tried is the Wilson nPS 95. I liked it and you should try it. It was much better than I thought it would be. However, I didn't think it felt as light as its specs would indicate. Perhaps that's why I liked it? You may also want to give the Head LM Radical MP a try. Good luck.

Thanks - that's one vote against the nPS and one vote for the nPS. :-) I'll try to demo it when demos finally become available and post results here.

I'll pass on the LM series for now, though. Too many folks seem to find the Radical hard to serve with, and when I used a LM 4 for a while last year, I hated the plasticy feel. If I don't find anything else, that works, though, I might reconsider.

Coda
04-24-2005, 11:53 AM
yeah, with the LM you'll have to sell your sore arm and shoulder to afford two!

Ryoma Kun
04-24-2005, 01:10 PM
are u selling your x-1's?

volleyman
04-24-2005, 01:33 PM

At the moment, no. I am hoping to get my shoulder up to strength by next spring to use them again.

If my plans change, you'll see them in the TW classifieds. :-)

BreakPoint
04-24-2005, 02:26 PM
I'll pass on the LM series for now, though. Too many folks seem to find the Radical hard to serve with, and when I used a LM 4 for a while last year, I hated the plasticy feel. If I don't find anything else, that works, though, I might reconsider.

Actually, I found the LM Radical MP very easy to serve with, perhaps even better than my PS 6.0 95. I know I can get more pace and spin on my serves with the LM Radical MP than with my PS 6.0 95. I've never tried the LM 4 but I was very pleasantly surprised with the great feel of the LM Radical MP. Did not feel nearly as tinny as some other Head Titanium racquets, and it has a huge sweetspot with a very solid feel. I almost considered switching to it.

thejackal
04-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Try the MFil 300 or 300g. The nPS actually swings heavier than the X1.

Craig Sheppard
04-24-2005, 05:30 PM

Ryoma, I have one for sale in L3 4 3/8 grip if you're interested, $80 shipped. Very lightly used, only for about a month. Email me at craig@cksweb.com if you're interested.

volleyman
04-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Craig - where are you in Raleigh? I live in Durham, but work in raleigh, and am looking for folks to play/hit with in Raleigh.

Craig Sheppard
04-24-2005, 07:39 PM
volleyman, I live near the Crabtree Valley Mall...(North Raleigh area). Actually I live in Raleigh and work in Durham--go figure. I usually play in Raleigh though in the evenings or on the weekends, so if you're willing to hang after work for a while I'm sure we could meet up. If you're interested in playing a ladder, I highly recommend the Raleigh city ladder run by the Parks & Rec dept out of Millbrook Exchange Park. I play on the 4.5 ladder a few times a week and have found good, competitive matches. The summer league starts in the beginning of June. Drop me a line at craig@cksweb.com and we could set something up...

KFwinds
04-24-2005, 08:29 PM
El Diablo MP...

hedonist
04-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Wilson 6.0 95 with synthetic replacementgrip (-10g)!

Coda
04-25-2005, 08:03 AM
excellent suggestion for the synthetic replacement idea.

bob
04-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Craig,

I just dropped into your thread but, I live off Goman & Tryon and play at the Cary Tennis center on the 4.5 ladder. I may start playing on the Millbrook ladder due to politics at the CTC. WHat league starts in June?

volleyman, I live near the Crabtree Valley Mall...(North Raleigh area). Actually I live in Raleigh and work in Durham--go figure. I usually play in Raleigh though in the evenings or on the weekends, so if you're willing to hang after work for a while I'm sure we could meet up. If you're interested in playing a ladder, I highly recommend the Raleigh city ladder run by the Parks & Rec dept out of Millbrook Exchange Park. I play on the 4.5 ladder a few times a week and have found good, competitive matches. The summer league starts in the beginning of June. Drop me a line at craig@cksweb.com and we could set something up...

bob
04-25-2005, 08:28 AM
I've played with a POG os for the last 2-3 years. I demoed an X1 & liked it a little but not better than my POGS. I then tried a warriror os and bought two of them. They play somehat like the POGs but a bit lighter with more punch.

BTW, I'm in south raleigh near gorman & tryon.

I love my Slazenger X-1s. Unfortunately, it appears that they are just a little to heavy for my shoulder for daily tennis. If I would stick to doubles, I'd probably survive, but I am unwilling to give up my fantasies of being a singles player.

Given that it's the middle of USTA League tennis season, and the NTRP tournament season is fully underway, taking time off to seriously strengthen my shoulder muscles is not an option. Long term, it's the solution, but I have to play almost daily for the next 5-6 months.

So, I'm looking for lighter racquet, between 10.5 and 11.5 oz strung, that offers me control, spin, power, stability and manueverability similar to that of the X-1, to get me through. And no, I don't expect a lighter racquet to play just like the X-1. :-) I'm looking for similar, and well suited for my game.

I'm a 4.0 Server-and-volley/all court player, who's working on going with a 1-handed backhand full time. My serve is my strongest shot, followed by my semi-western forehand and volleys - I need a racquet that caters to those shots, and doesn't suck on the backhand side. Experience has taught me that racquets that blunt my strengths frustrate me way too much.

Raquetfinder suggested about 25 racquets based on the specs I fed it - these are the ones that interested me most:

Power Angle 98/K
Volkl Catapult 8 V-Engine
Wilson nPS 95
Yonex MP-2i

By Spec, the Yonex Nano Speed RQ 7 midplus looks like a possibility as well.

Any thoughts on the above racquets? Any racquets not on the list for consideration that should be there?

volleyman
04-25-2005, 06:46 PM
First, for the Raleigh/Cary guys: I work on Wake Forest Road, about a 7 minute drive from the Millbrook Exchange Park. Hanging around after work for a match/hitting session is no problem. Depending on the day, I can sometimes sneak out for a hitting session at lunch.

Now back on the original topic. My PS Tour 95 arrived today, strung with 16 gauge Wilson synthetic gut. Played with it this evening, and was hitting quite well with it. It felt nice, even with the thick syn gut ( I usually use 17 gauge multis ).

I also have LM Radical and a Yonex MP-2i demos on the way from TW. They should arrive Wednesday. I'll have a chance to play with all of them over the weekend and report back next week.

AAAA
04-26-2005, 05:19 AM
Two gym sessions a week will give noticable increases in strength within 4 weeks for most people. After that I've found one session a week at a slightly higher intensity/greater weights is good enough to maintain the gains from the first 4 weeks.

Craig Sheppard
04-26-2005, 05:28 AM
Craig,

I just dropped into your thread but, I live off Goman & Tryon and play at the Cary Tennis center on the 4.5 ladder. I may start playing on the Millbrook ladder due to politics at the CTC. WHat league starts in June?
bob, the Raleigh City Parks & Rec ladder begins in June I believe. It's run out of Millbrook Exchange Park off Spring Forest Rd. There is a current ladder going on now, I think about 2 to 3 week left. Then the season-end tournament will be in May for a week, then a few weeks break, and the summer one will start. I've heard about some of the proposed changes to the CTC--about memberships and fees and such. Quite a shame, that's the nicest public facility I've ever seen. Maybe if Cary didn't give out so many tax breaks they could pay for it...ahem.

bob
04-26-2005, 08:44 AM
Vollyman:

I work at 3700 wake forest (ITS). Maybe we can hit after work in a couple of weeks (busy with a lot of stuff now).

Craig:

I think I'll join the Millbrook 4.5 ladder during the next "cycle.

volleyman
04-26-2005, 12:19 PM
That would put you right next door to me - I work at 3600. :-)

carTW
04-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Hey volleyman. I would be interested if you could give us a little comparison between the Slaz. X1 and the PS Tour95.
Also I live in Cary, near the CTC. If at some point Craig, Bob and you need a fourth for a doubles let me know (cwruffieux@yahoo.com)

bob
04-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Volleyman,

Is that Wake County Public schools?

BTW my email is go-lakers@mindspring.com. I play on the 4.5 ladder at the CTC. We should get together & hit after work some time.

That would put you right next door to me - I work at 3600. :-)

volleyman
04-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Volleyman,

Is that Wake County Public schools?

Yes. :-)

BTW my email is go-lakers@mindspring.com. I play on the 4.5 ladder at the CTC. We should get together & hit after work some time.

We should. I'll be in touch.

mo10s
04-28-2005, 11:23 PM
how about the kennex 5? pretty solid racket, and right in your weight range

volleyman
04-29-2005, 05:24 AM
how about the kennex 5? pretty solid racket, and right in your weight range

I might give it a shot. However, the weight is just a little higher than I'd like to go.