PDA

View Full Version : Gonzalez FH

crash1929
01-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Tennis has been pretty fun over the past year because i'm actually learning about technique and leverage. Its more fun when you think about these possibilities rather than just gripping and ripping.

I noticed Gonzalez' FH looked different than most. At the top of his back swing the face of the racquet is pointing straight behind him towards the people in the crowd. Never thought about this technique before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFibX-inICg&feature=related

paus it right at 13 seconds to see what i mean.

ok going to go see what this feels like. i havent' studied all the angles but looks a bit different than agassi who seems to point the racquet out a bit.

crash1929
01-10-2010, 10:37 AM
plus look at 13 seconds how he really gets his waist twisted. i think i get some twist but looks like he really milks it well. feels like when i play i just turn a little but there might be actually a lot more twisting i can do.

hacker_101
01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I always thought Gonzalez had the biggest forehand until I seen this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaSM-gFIkQM

marosmith
01-10-2010, 10:56 AM
I am most impressed with how he jumps into his forehands and elevates on almost every shot.

Claudius
01-10-2010, 11:22 AM
I always thought Gonzalez had the biggest forehand until I seen this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaSM-gFIkQM

Roddick in '03 probably had the biggest forehand of all time.

lancernrg
01-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Tennis has been pretty fun over the past year because i'm actually learning about technique and leverage. Its more fun when you think about these possibilities rather than just gripping and ripping.

I noticed Gonzalez' FH looked different than most. At the top of his back swing the face of the racquet is pointing straight behind him towards the people in the crowd. Never thought about this technique before.

ok going to go see what this feels like. i havent' studied all the angles but looks a bit different than agassi who seems to point the racquet out a bit.

Gonzalez's forehand is flawed and lacking in technique. The only reason behind his power is because he's muscling every shot. Despite it being his weapon in tennis it is also his downfall.

Power is overrated anyway.:oops:

marosmith
01-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Gonzalez's forehand is flawed and lacking in technique. The only reason behind his power is because he's muscling every shot. Despite it being his weapon in tennis it is also his downfall.

Power is overrated anyway.:oops:

Ha ha ha! You are funny.. Just so people aren't confused you should put a

:)

After your statement so they don't think you are being serious!

:shock:

crash1929
01-10-2010, 06:44 PM
so no one hits witht he raquet face facing away from the target like he has it at 13 seconds? i tried it today and gives you more of a wallop. have you seen this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjFfuXMG0Rg

ironically he is playing gonzalez

crash1929
01-10-2010, 07:03 PM
i wish people would get more serious about technique. its addictive to trying to learn as much as you can. i want to be 5.0 really bad now. I'm 4.5 pretty good but it seems like an eternity away.

aimr75
01-10-2010, 07:04 PM
so no one hits witht he raquet face facing away from the target like he has it at 13 seconds? i tried it today and gives you more of a wallop. have you seen this one?

yeah most pros do this pronation, the racquet faces more to the side or back fence the more extreme the grip is..

[d]ragon
01-10-2010, 07:16 PM

That's Baghdatis

crash1929
01-10-2010, 07:23 PM
aahhh really? good eye then dragon.

LeeD
01-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Couple/several days ago, someone posted vid of DJ doing that exact thing on a forehand.

mike53
01-11-2010, 08:05 AM

Yeah, that's a beautiful shot. I messed up my back, shoulder and elbow all three in one day trying (as best I could) to copy it. Had to use three ice packs afterwards. Guess I got carried away in the moment.

LeeD
01-12-2010, 11:17 AM
I have the worst, least consistent forehand of any of you.
Unfortunately, I also point the racket hitting face more than directly behind myself on the prep loop. Lots of power, little control for me.
I hit much better forehands using the McEnroe technique. Or at least I do now that I'm close to 61.
Maybe a Nadal style smile loop would be a good compromise. Just looking at McEnroe's stunted forehand makes me want to give up tennis. Soooo butt ugly, so works for him.

smoothtennis
01-12-2010, 01:04 PM
I have the worst, least consistent forehand of any of you.
Unfortunately, I also point the racket hitting face more than directly behind myself on the prep loop. Lots of power, little control for me.
I hit much better forehands using the McEnroe technique. Or at least I do now that I'm close to 61.
Maybe a Nadal style smile loop would be a good compromise. Just looking at McEnroe's stunted forehand makes me want to give up tennis. Soooo butt ugly, so works for him.

How could your forehand be worse than any of us, as most of us suck on this forum? You said you played almost pro level at one point so how do you reconcile that?

LeeD
01-12-2010, 01:13 PM
My forehand sucks because it is probably the only stroke holding me back to 4.0 levels. All my contemporaries have stronger and more consistent forehands. Even lots of newbie 3.5's have equal forehands.
Of course, my mental game must be weak too.
FYI, couple 20 years ago, when I tried out for SF FireDept., they gave grip tests. Left handed, my playing hand, about 70lbs. Right handed, the one never used, easy over 120 lbs. of grip pressure.
Why don't I play right handed? I did mention weak mental, didn't I?
My right hand forehand is almost twice as good as my left hand forehand. Unfortunately, my right handed backhand is 2.5 at best... :oops::oops:
My right handed first serve is almost equal to lefty.
My right handed second serve is barely 2.5.
And so it goes, you win a few, you lose a lot, but you keep plugging along.

smoothtennis
01-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Even lots of newbie 3.5's have equal forehands.
Of course, my mental game must be weak too... I did mention weak mental, didn't I?

Hmmmm. So, you have at best a 3.5 newbie forehand, and a weak mental game? Seriously?

How were you competitive against semi-pro level players then? That is a MASSIVE glaring hole any 5.0+ would easily, EASILY take advantage of and never let you in the game?

Are you telling me, with that forehand, you could return 100+ MPH serves consitently with spin and directional variances? And that a 5.0 wouldn't pick that apart mercilessly?

Am I feeding a troll here? Or better yet, a Walter Mitty?

OliverSimon
01-12-2010, 02:20 PM
That forehand is AMAZING

LeeD
01-12-2010, 02:52 PM
I think we have to think TIMEFRAME here.
35 years ago, I had a Aussieforehand and 2hbh, a little quicker reflexes, and maybe a little more physical prowess.
Nowadaze, I self rate myself 4.0, but have not lost in over 20 sets to a former (less than 5 years), #1 NorCal 4.0. Possibly bad matchup for him, he used to be #4 on the same 4.5 team I was #6, back in 1977.
I'm a month shy of 61 nowadaze, and gripstrength on my left hand is getting worst, not stronger! So SW grip, almost full Western, and 1hbh.
Maybe my forehand back then wasn't all too horrid, as my practice partners included some women who WON pro tourneys and lots of A, or 5.5 and Div 1 Men's players.
But nowadaze is 2010, and the weak 3.5 forehand is apparent to any who play with or against me.

Vyse
01-12-2010, 03:17 PM
To the OP: Novak Djokovic does that too. It is because of there extreme grips. I know Novak uses a Western grip. Doing that will probably help you get more topspin.

I wouldn't hit lke Gonzalez, it would too uncontrollable. When you think of power, think of effortless power like Federer.

crash1929
01-15-2010, 10:22 PM
I was practicing turning the face of the racquet back like gonzalez on the fh today. I was trying it against a wall and could really feel the added wallop. Then i hit against an opponent and it wasn't quite the same not sure what I was doing wrong. Kinda like how I can het a beauty of a one handed bh against a wall and can barely get it in against an opponent.

I tried to reverse the feeling and try turning the face of the racquet like that on the bh. didn't work at all. I couldn't do it.