PDA

View Full Version : What self rating should I give myself?

johndagolfer
01-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Serve - I would say my first server is in the high 80's. I can place it fairly well. It generally has quite a bit of spin (slice or kick). I rarely double fault, but the serve is a slow kicker that 4.0 buddy seems to feed off of even though they bounce above his head.

Groundstrokes - I have a really good forehand that has good depth, pace and spin. My backhand has gotten a lot better since I have started working out again I hit it deep with decent, not great, pace. It's flatter than my forehand but can be a weapon if I am given enough time.

I am a ok vollier. I can handle good pace at the net.

Background: I was an above average high school player, I made the state tournament 3 out of my 4 years. I generally won my intramural tournaments in college, but couldn't even come close to winning against my DII team.

Wild Card. I have really bad arthritis and have limited movement. Gout has caused a great deal of damage and I have lost a lot of flexibility that I will never get back. I can move, but I cannot sprint all out anymore.

Based on this what do you think I should be rated?

Thanks!

Panic492
01-10-2010, 07:24 PM
3.5-4.0. You could self-rate at 3.5 and see how it goes. You will be adjusted if you are too out of place.

johndagolfer
01-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks my friends say I have much better strokes and serves than a 3.5. I guess what I am really wondering is if they adjust the ratings based on disabilities. There are seriously days that I cannot walk without a limp.

Bashi
01-10-2010, 07:27 PM
based on your description of your strokes and saying you were an above average high school player i would have put you at 4.0. but depending on how limited your movement is you might want to try 3.5. i would think you would do fine in either one, but if i were you i'd go 3.5

Cindysphinx
01-10-2010, 07:42 PM
This 4.0 friend. . . . Is he a computer-rated 4.0? If so, how do you do when you play him? What does he think your level is (if he is computer-rated)?

MrCLEAN
01-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks my friends say I have much better strokes and serves than a 3.5. I guess what I am really wondering is if they adjust the ratings based on disabilities. There are seriously days that I cannot walk without a limp.

They don't care, they just look at results. I've seen guys that have pretty strokes that can't move that I can beat, and Chang like movers that slice everything that beat me because I can't get anything by them or be as consistent as them. Start off at 3.5 and see how you do. If you crush guys, move up. If you're 50/50 win/loss, stay. Good luck!

johndagolfer
01-11-2010, 06:10 AM
This 4.0 friend. . . . Is he a computer-rated 4.0? If so, how do you do when you play him? What does he think your level is (if he is computer-rated)?

Hmmm I think that at one time, when he was 150 pounds lighter that he was a 4.5. He played for a good NAIA college team and a state winning HS team. The last time we played it was only best out of 3 games and I won a close match 2 and 1.

Even though he's nearing 350 lbs he still is a faster runner than I am.

jrod
01-11-2010, 07:25 AM
.....Even though he's nearing 350 lbs he still is a faster runner than I am.

Huh? 350 lbs and he can outrun you? I take it movement isn't one of your better attributes on the tennis court. I'm going with 3.5 based on what I've read....unless you can offer up some comps that help us calibrate better.

johndagolfer
01-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Sadly so. Since both of my ankles are arthritic it takes so much energy to try and move. It makes me much more tired than I should be since some much effort is wasted. I too am losing weight, I am down 30 pounds and hope that I will be able to move a little quicker after 30 more.

From all that everyone is saying 3.5 is probably where I should start. Thanks all!

jrod
01-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Sadly so. Since both of my ankles are arthritic it takes so much energy to try and move. It makes me much more tired than I should be since some much effort is wasted. I too am losing weight, I am down 30 pounds and hope that I will be able to move a little quicker after 30 more.

From all that everyone is saying 3.5 is probably where I should start. Thanks all!

If you find yourself winning at this level 50% of the time, you are at the right level. If your wins is upwards of 75%, then move to 4.0. Good luck and keep that weight down....your ankles will thank you.

AutoXer
01-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Just self rate at 2.5 and dominate. Isn't that how it's done in USTA?

Tennisman912
01-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Based on all the info presented, 3.5 is where I would recommend starting. Remember, weight loss like tennis, is a marathon and not a sprint with no finish line.

Best of luck

TM

MrCLEAN
01-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Just self rate at 2.5 and dominate. Isn't that how it's done in USTA?

Lol, I believe you're right!

Z-Man
01-11-2010, 05:05 PM
How you hit individual strokes doesn't really matter. All that matters for level selection is can you win against other players that level. Don't forget, you can always play up, but you can never play down. You will have much more fun as a team hero at 3.5 than a bench warmer at 4.0. If it turns out you're really a 4.5--good for you, maybe you can take a 3.5 team to sectionals. If you're really a 3.5, you will be at the right level.

Topaz
01-11-2010, 05:43 PM
How you hit individual strokes doesn't really matter. All that matters for level selection is can you win against other players that level. Don't forget, you can always play up, but you can never play down. You will have much more fun as a team hero at 3.5 than a bench warmer at 4.0. If it turns out you're really a 4.5--good for you, maybe you can take a 3.5 team to sectionals. If you're really a 3.5, you will be at the right level.

Quoted for truth!

Also, you might find some of the links and information in this post helpful:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=305922

johndagolfer
01-11-2010, 05:48 PM

This is great advice. Thanks all. I submitted my request for a team needed today and put down 3.5. Wish me luck with my first year in a USTA league!

lostinamerica
01-12-2010, 08:12 PM
If you have to ask what you are, don't self rate any higher than 3.5