PDA

View Full Version : Question about having a 2HBH compared to a 1HBH

Zachol82
01-10-2010, 07:43 PM
First off, before you quit reading, this isn't a thread about whether I should use one or the other, nor is it about which of the two is better.

Does having a 2HBH actually preserve stamina in your dominant hand? Let me describe, since I don't know how to really phrase my question.

People use their dominant hand in tennis most of the time, all of the time if you have a 1HBH. You serve with your dominant hand, hit a forehand with it, volley with it and even backhand slice with it.

Now, people who uses a 2HBH at least can conserve energy whenever they hit a backhand, since most of the energy comes from the non-dominant hand in a 2HBH. Therefore, they don't have to use one hand 100% of the time.

Would a person with a 2HBH have an advantage over someone with a 1HBH in this manner? With all other things being equal? Or am I missing something pretty important in my deduction?

soyizgood
01-10-2010, 08:05 PM
It's like anything else in tennis. One advantage leaves a disadvantage laying around. With a 2HBH, your dominant arm has less strain, but that also means your weak arm/hips/back are taking more of the load.

A well-struck backhand, 1h or 2h, can overcome the inherent weaknesses of the stroke. People are wired differently, so they use what they're more comfortable with and live with the pros/cons of their strokes.

aimr75
01-10-2010, 08:12 PM
If the 1hbh simply just used the arm then i can see there being alot of exertion on the dominant arm, but it isnt an "armed" shot.. you dont simply just use the arm to swing, its aided with the body, shoulders, weight transfer, momentum.. i dont think there is much advantage with the 2hbh in this regard

Zachol82
01-10-2010, 08:37 PM
If the 1hbh simply just used the arm then i can see there being alot of exertion on the dominant arm, but it isnt an "armed" shot.. you dont simply just use the arm to swing, its aided with the body, shoulders, weight transfer, momentum.. i dont think there is much advantage with the 2hbh in this regard

Right, it doesn't only use the dominant arm, but wouldn't alleviating strain off the dominant hand for even a quarter of a 2 hours+ match be a pretty big deal? Even if your forehand uses your entire body, the arm still takes the impact and the swing starts from the shoulder as well. I do see where you're coming from though, and maybe you're right about it doesn't make much a difference.

Even though I do use my entire body for my shots, my forearm clearly feels tired after a 3 hours match.

sinnetklat
01-11-2010, 05:16 AM
In general, we may say that different muscle groups of the arm are active during forehand and backhand shots; the former mostly affects the flexors, while the latter affecting the extensors of the dominant arm.

So, we may feel close to concluding that neither 1hbh nor 2hbh shot does not consume one's energy ready for the forehand shot.

However:
Are all muscles being used in forehand and 1hbh totally different?
Are there some muscles being used during both shots?
If yes, do those muscles exert forces great enough to get tired.
If positive, then 2hbh may be more advantageous.

In my opinion, in any case, the pros' extensor muscles are strong enough to cope with the excess burden (if any) due to 1hbh.

But, if some muscles are working together during forehand and 1hbh, then people playing now and then may have trouble related to the exertion level of these muscles.
Does anyone of you know the answer? Are there sources to it?

Interesting topic...

fuzz nation
01-11-2010, 06:08 AM
If I play for a long session and I have some fatigue in my forearm, its either because I'm getting to my hitting area late or using a racquet that isn't as head-light in balance as I'm used to. I actually use both a one and a two handed backhand, but the 1hbh is my go-to stroke if I'm not rushed. I mostly use the 2hbh to fight off a deep, heavy ball or to hit an aggressive return of serve because I can set and fire it much more quickly. Since my ground stroke overhaul a few years ago, I'll see fatigue in my legs before anything else, at least when I'm on my game.

When I'm getting to the ball late, I'm forced to muscle the racquet around and that will wear on my arm a bit, but it's a lot worse for me if the balance of my frame is unfamiliar. I'm perfectly happy with 12.5-13.0 oz. racquets as long as they have the 8-10 pts. HL balance that I like. They're quick and solid for me, especially at the net. If a frame is at least a few points less HL, even if it's down around 11.8-12.2 oz., that's where my forearm starts working too much to get the racquet around on time.

One thing I've noticed that can significantly contribute to forearm fatigue is a ritual that some players do between points where they bounce the ball on the court several times with their racquet, maybe before serving. It's sort of like a quick basketball dribble, but with the racquet and the tennis ball. Pretty sure that Andy Roddick does this a lot. One of our team's better players did this back when I first started coaching high school teams and I was with him at a tournament on one of the first hot days of that spring season.

In his second match of the day which was full of long, tough rallies, he started cramping in his second set. The first thing that started to tighten up was his forearm! A game or two later, it started sneaking into his legs, too, but I've never forgotten that odd progression. The lesson that I learned from that day is to try and hold my racquet in my off hand between points so that my racquet hand (and forearm) can relax and recover. I also look out for my kids on this and encourage them to rest that racquet arm when they can.

Zachol82
01-11-2010, 06:34 AM
However:
Are all muscles being used in forehand and 1hbh totally different?
Are there some muscles being used during both shots?
If yes, do those muscles exert forces great enough to get tired.
If positive, then 2hbh may be more advantageous.

In my opinion, in any case, the pros' extensor muscles are strong enough to cope with the excess burden (if any) due to 1hbh.

But, if some muscles are working together during forehand and 1hbh, then people playing now and then may have trouble related to the exertion level of these muscles.
Does anyone of you know the answer? Are there sources to it?

Interesting topic...

Those questions are what I'm trying to ask as well, but this is a better way of asking them. If you know please post!

Geezer Guy
01-11-2010, 06:41 AM
I use a 1hbh, and I gotta say - my arm never gets tired. Other parts of my body get plenty tired after a long hard match - usually the legs or sometimes the shoulders, but not the arm. I don't think 1hbh vs 2hbh would make a difference in preserving arm-strength over a long hard match.

LeeD
01-11-2010, 07:28 AM
I have ligament/tendon damage on my dominant hand, and often use a two hander to finish off tougher shots hit to that side. Wrist flicking with my dominant hand doesn't lead to any more tennis that day, so I use the oft hand.
But generally, lots of other things wear out before the dominant hand muscles get tired.

NickH87
01-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Never had a problem with it...most time Ive spend on court was 5 hours and I could barely walk...but my arms were fine lol.

fuzz nation
01-11-2010, 02:23 PM
I'll bet a nickel that the two-hander preserves the hand and forearm of the dominant side over a long outing. I'm sure that I'm doing less "gripping" work with my forearm when I hit the 2hbh. In fact, I need to remember to use a looser than average grip for that stroke so that I don't restrict the swing of the racquet too much.

In the grand scheme though, I don't think that it requires less exertion overall to use a 2hbh. I'm actually under the impression that there's much more "easy power" available with my one-hander, but it takes me and extra fraction of a second in preparation to use it well.

Wish I knew specifically what's under less stress with the 2hbh, but I need to study some anatomy first.