PDA

View Full Version : War against those love handles

soyizgood
01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm a 6'0" 165 lbs male. My lower body is in good condition to where I can't really pinch any parts of my legs (I guess biking and tennis can do that). Yet, I cringe knowing I can easily pinch my abs. Even my overweight boss noticed... ugh! I might even look into buying something just to work off those abs. It's not like I need the handles since I don't float in water anyway.

maverick66
01-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Check your diet. You might need to clean it up. If your eating crappy food you get pudgy. That is just how life goes.

Vyse
01-10-2010, 08:26 PM
I have apparently a 5.9% bodyfat (I think this is off, it was tested on calipurs) and I still have fat in my love handles, lower abs. I kind of have a 4 pack especially in good lighting. I hate this fat passionatly, but I think I will eventually get it off. Tennis should help and I am a health nut.

larry10s
01-11-2010, 06:55 AM
there really is something called "exercise resistant fat deposits". if your body fat is 9% you cant go much llower so the only answer is lipo. imho

chess9
01-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Where you carry fat is, in part, based on genetics and gender. Some guys carry fat in their chests, as in the man boob threads.
Some carry visceral fat, around the organs. Some carry it in their butts and legs.

My point is that those guys in the pictures are usually genetic freaks who are on steroids. In my opinion, and this is worth what you paid for it I'm sure, having some small love handles is perfectly normal. And the older you get the more likely it is that they will get a bit larger.

Eat right, train hard, rest, see the doctor for checkups and don't obsess over having the perfect body. I've never had a woman turn me down for a date because my love handles were too big! I've never lost a single point at tennis because of my love handles. Of course, I've never had huge love handles..., but I do have small ones.

I'd be more worried about other issues, like about 1,000 other issues. :)

Best of luck!

-Robert

charliefedererer
01-11-2010, 11:10 AM
You can't eliminate fat from just one spot without overall diet and exercise.
You can get better abs with more core exercises, including sit ups on a slant board, and all kinds of crunches.
You also can get more abdominal exercise by playing lots of tennis, especially with an open or semi-open stance and using lots of body rotation with each shot.

BMC9670
01-12-2010, 05:01 AM
I'm a 6'0" 165 lbs male. My lower body is in good condition to where I can't really pinch any parts of my legs (I guess biking and tennis can do that). Yet, I cringe knowing I can easily pinch my abs. Even my overweight boss noticed... ugh! I might even look into buying something just to work off those abs. It's not like I need the handles since I don't float in water anyway.

I agree with the posts here. At you're height/weight, they are what they are. You probably can't get rid of them, so don't let them get to you.

I'm the exact same way. I'm 6'0 160lbs and have small, but definite love handles. Do I like them, no. Are they a problem for my tennis, no.

Here's the kicker: I played basketball and ran track in college and had them then! Just the way I'm built. I figure if I had them as a two sport college athlete, I'm not going to get rid of them as a 40 year old recreational athlete!

rk_sports
01-12-2010, 03:43 PM
there really is something called "exercise resistant fat deposits". if your body fat is 9% you cant go much llower so the only answer is lipo. imho

Hmm... is that TRUE?!! :shock:
Are you saying you cant reduce some fats by working out?
How do you identify that?

Ilanchess
01-12-2010, 03:53 PM
I have apparently a 5.9% bodyfat (I think this is off, it was tested on calipurs) and I still have fat in my love handles, lower abs. I kind of have a 4 pack especially in good lighting. I hate this fat passionatly, but I think I will eventually get it off. Tennis should help and I am a health nut.

If you have a 6% body fat you should have a six pack, as abs start to be seen at around 12-13% body fat, and definitely a lot more when your in the single digits.

Vyse
01-12-2010, 06:44 PM
If you have a 6% body fat you should have a six pack, as abs start to be seen at around 12-13% body fat, and definitely a lot more when your in the single digits.

I think the same thing. My body does not have the cuts of someone with that low of bf.

cncretecwbo
01-14-2010, 05:31 PM

you are pretty skinny as it is in my opinion. Im 6 foot and if i get down to 175 i look too skinny and whatnot. I wouldnt try to loose fat, id try to get some muscle first, then drop some fat.

you are not 5.9% bodyfat, what ever test you took was wrong most likely

Zachol82
01-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Anywhere below 7% body fat for a male means you are pretty toned. If you still have flabby abs, which is pretty hard to get rid of completely for any of us who are not super models, watch what you eat...or what you drink. Are you drinking alcoholic beverages too much?

soyizgood
01-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Anywhere below 7% body fat for a male means you are pretty toned. If you still have flabby abs, which is pretty hard to get rid of completely for any of us who are not super models, watch what you eat...or what you drink. Are you drinking alcoholic beverages too much?

According to my weight scale, since I do exercise quite a bit, using athletic mode my body fat % is 6.9%. My abs aren't sagging or anything like that. I just don't like that can grab my sides fairly easily. More of a pet peeve to me. If I did more upper body exercise it might combat it. But I have little time or desire to be a gym rat.

larry10s
01-15-2010, 06:35 AM
. But I have little time or desire to be a gym rat.

consider lipo

larry10s
01-15-2010, 06:38 AM
Hmm... is that TRUE?!! :shock:
Are you saying you cant reduce some fats by working out?
How do you identify that?

im saying that there certain areas of your body that genetically for some people no matter how great shape and low % body fat they are fat deposits are tough to get rid of. love handles are one of those. a dermatologist friend of mine who does lipo told me that. i have no reference.

mike53
01-15-2010, 07:30 AM

Unless you're looking to be an underwear model, I would just get over this and focus on developing something more valuable like speed or strength or quickness.

eagle
01-15-2010, 07:37 AM
But I have little time or desire to be a gym rat.

Based on your statement, I think you know the answer already.

Are you asking because you want validation of what you obviously need to do?

As folks have suggested already ... go under the knife.

r,
eagle

soyizgood
01-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Based on your statement, I think you know the answer already.

Are you asking because you want validation of what you obviously need to do?

As folks have suggested already ... go under the knife.

r,
eagle

I don't know if I'm overreacting or whether if it's even something to even be bothered with (seems to be normal based on feedback). I've gained 45 pounds since high school (15 years ago when I was really skinny) and I feel I'm in good shape.

eagle
01-15-2010, 07:59 AM
I don't know if I'm overreacting or whether if it's even something to even be bothered with (seems to be normal based on feedback). I've gained 45 pounds since high school (15 years ago when I was really skinny) and I feel I'm in good shape.

Hi soyiz,

Don't worry. You're not alone. :)

We all want to have hardbodies but as you've stated, it is difficult to find time to do what's needed. But if you have the will and determination, I think you will find the time even if you have to wake up at 4 or 5am in the morning. :) And if that still doesn't get you the results you are looking for, then gulp.... maybe it's time to bite the bullet and cut out the fat. Yikes!

r,
eagle

r2473
01-15-2010, 08:02 AM
War against those love handles

I can't believe you bought the love handles soyizgood. Everyone knows that renting is a much better idea.

soyizgood
01-15-2010, 08:28 AM
I can't believe you bought the love handles soyizgood. Everyone knows that renting is a much better idea.

They came as a courtesy gift from somebody called genetics (well, my mom's side anyways). I'll gladly rent it to you since buying has permanent/long-term cons (mine's a drop in the bucket though). :)

Zachol82
01-15-2010, 08:28 AM
According to my weight scale, since I do exercise quite a bit, using athletic mode my body fat % is 6.9%. My abs aren't sagging or anything like that. I just don't like that can grab my sides fairly easily. More of a pet peeve to me. If I did more upper body exercise it might combat it. But I have little time or desire to be a gym rat.

It's normal to be able to pinch your "love handles." I bet you there's no one on earth that can't pinch their sides, that's just practically impossible.

r2473
01-15-2010, 02:06 PM
No love handles on this guy.

(The following diet plan is endorsed by Andre Agassi):

http://www.penticton.ca/police/images/crystal_meth_1.jpg

Vyse
01-16-2010, 01:50 PM
ewwww. hopefully, I will never become this

Vyse
01-16-2010, 01:51 PM
actually, I will never become that.

BullDogTennis
01-17-2010, 01:09 PM
you have to just lose body fat in general, there is no way to "spot burn" fat...