PDA

View Full Version : Swingweight way off?

ambro
04-24-2005, 01:26 PM
I don't know what it is, but my POGs swing much heavier than my friends' Pure Drive +, More Control DB, and Air Stick, despite them having higher swingweights than my POGs. I mean there is a HUGE difference. Why do they swing so light with their seemingly high swingweights?

gregraven
04-24-2005, 02:33 PM
According to USRSA measurements, the Prince Graphite Classic (at least the OS version) does have a higher swingweight than the Babolat Pure Drive +. Have you measured the racquets involved to see what the actual swingweights are, or where are you getting your swingweight data?

ambro
04-24-2005, 05:38 PM
I was looking at the TW Website under the racquets. The POG OS has 326 while the Pure Drive + is 331. Also the POG Mid is 328, but it feels lighter than the OS. Maybe it's just TW's website which is misleading.

radical tourist
04-24-2005, 05:58 PM
I tested a POG OS that was 18 points under spec swingweight. That's a little too much even for mass production. Unless you check, you will never know.

gregraven
04-24-2005, 08:37 PM
The USRSA Babolat RDC is calibrated, but I don't know about the TW RDC. As for the Prince Graphite Classics having different specs, there are at least four different versions, each with different specs, and within those "spec groups" there seems to be a fair amount of scatter. As radical tourist wrote, you need to check the frames you're trying to compare, rather than rely on published specs.

pchoi04
04-24-2005, 10:31 PM
I think it swings heavier because the racquet itself is much heavier. The LM radical MP and the POG almost have the same swingweight according to TW and to me the radical cuts threw the air like butter. The POG is about an ounce heavier than the PD so I'm not surprised that it swings heavier. Maybe I'm wrong about this whole thing because I'm no expert but thats just what I think and experience...

Gaines Hillix
04-25-2005, 09:12 AM
I think it swings heavier because the racquet itself is much heavier. The LM radical MP and the POG almost have the same swingweight according to TW and to me the radical cuts threw the air like butter. The POG is about an ounce heavier than the PD so I'm not surprised that it swings heavier. Maybe I'm wrong about this whole thing because I'm no expert but thats just what I think and experience...

If you take the mass(weight) of the frame in grams times the distance to the balance point from the butt end, i.e. 32cm, and divide by 100(M X D/100) you get a "pickup weight index." This is how heavy the raquet feels when you pick it up. That and the swingweight are going to be the biggest influences on how the racquet feels to you weight wise. Of course, head size and frame length are factors too.