PDA

View Full Version : Western grip players

monkeyisland90
01-11-2010, 11:32 AM
I know theres not lot of player playing with western grip but wondering if you do use this grip how often do you string your racquet? I seem to use synthetic gut and break the string after 2 matches... (or even just one match). I've heard that the extreme topspin due to the grip produces a saw effect and breaks it faster... but anyone who experiences this also and spending too much on strings? I try taking full racquet head speed all the time and sometimes too.

Marshredder
01-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I guess if I used one racquet, it would probably last about 4 hours of play. I string with Pro Hurricane Tour at 55lbs.

monkeyisland90
01-11-2010, 11:45 AM
do u use a western grip? what's your theory on why it breaks faster with western grippers? costing me lot of money!

Dave Mc
01-11-2010, 12:45 PM
I've had the exact same issue as you, using western grip for many years, and also broke strings every 1 or 2 matches. At first I switched to kevlar then poly strings, which had great durability, but had no feel. Then I switched to 15 ga synthetic, and that did extend life to 1 or 2 weeks, so I used that for many years. But then I switched to racquets with dense string patterns, and was able to use 16 ga synthetic again, which I like better, and still get 1 or 2 weeks of play. However, I noticed that dense string patterns were more conducive for hitting flatter, and so my grip slowly moved to semi-western. It seemed the flatter I was hitting my strokes, the more life my strings would have (not to mention the additional power and depth). So I've been gladly hitting semi-western for many years now, and getting at least 3 weeks of play from 16 ga synthetic in dense string pattern frames. Good luck, I hope you find a cost reducing solution without any sacrifices to your game.

LeeD
01-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Bad enough my strings used to last 2 days, but my shoes only lasted 3 weeks before a clear all thru hole would appear on both toes. The heels would be worn thin too.
When the long lasting soles came into play, they'd last a month and a day.
This with conti forehand, conti 2hbh, and S/V style of play.

Z-Man
01-11-2010, 04:07 PM
You could try a tougher string or maybe a racquet with a denser string pattern. I also hit with a lot of spin, and it's tough on the strings.

sgulla
01-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Yikes! You're using synthetic gut?! No wonder why you're breaking strings so easily. Also, if you hit out on the ball you should be using at the very least a hybrid with poly in the mains and a synthetic in the cross strings. I use a western grip and used to go through my strings like you do. I am currently using a co-poly that is softer than a poly and much more durable than a synthetic gut. Check out the co-poly's, or, if you have a reel of synthetic, get used to a hybrid. Luxilon in the mains and a synthetic in the cross, which, by the way, plays a bit like a co-poly in the whole stringbed.

BigT
01-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Try to hybrid a nice soft copoly in the mains.