PDA

View Full Version : western grip so extreme it's eastern

Bashi
01-11-2010, 12:38 PM
i was watching a tournament at the local club the other week and i saw a player hitting with an eastern grip... but using the other side of the racquet. it looked extremely uncomfortable. it also seemed very inconsistent, but when it went in the shots were amazing - huge amounts of topspin and pace. he was playing the club pro and he ended up losing pretty badly, but anyway, does anyone seriously use this grip or is this just a weird case?

SourStraws
01-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Berasetegui used it and got to a F.O. final...

S.S.

Manus Domini
01-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Are you thinking of the Hawaiin grip perhaps? I tried it in practice (def. not in game). I made only one forehand shot in, but it had heavier topspin than any other shot I ever hit. If you can master that grip, switching from slicing to topspin is just rotation of the wrist (don't even have to change grips really) which can confuse your opponent, if they see you line up a continental before revolving it for Hawaiin at the last second.

Manus Domini
01-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Are you thinking of the Hawaiin grip perhaps? I tried it in practice (def. not in game). I made only one forehand shot in, but it had heavier topspin than any other shot I ever hit. If you can master that grip, switching from slicing to topspin is just rotation of the wrist (don't even have to change grips really) which can confuse your opponent, if they see you line up a continental before revolving it for Hawaiin at the last second.

edit: I have hit more topspin (going up more feet high I mean) with a different type of shot (not normal over-the shoulder forehand), but it wasn't as heavy/rip-the-racket-out-of-your-hand type spin. Just to clarify something...

LeeD
01-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Hawaiin grip as in one side of the racket for all shots?
If so, kinda extreme Western to me also.
Don't sell it short. There are some very good 4.5 level players using one side of the racket, no grip change. And they not only can hit high incoming balls, but they can dig out low volleys and half volleys.
Of course, not recommended and most of them have arm and shoulder problems...sooner or later.

tennis24
01-12-2010, 12:01 PM
it generates god topspin but is very hard on the wrist. it is inconsistent because your wrist is the most inconsistent part of your body. it swivels every which way and is not very good at maintaing 1 position for a long time.

LeeD
01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
I suspect it's OK using the same side of your racket with a one handed forehand and a two handed backhand...as Barrasetchi and Solomon do.
But I know some guys at a much lower level, maybe 4.5, who use a one handed backhand and one handed forehand, same side of the racket with no grip change.
They're big strong athletic guys, blocky and thick, and would do well as inside linebackers in pro football.
Funny to watch, not so funny to play against.