PDA

View Full Version : USTA teammates

monkeyisland90
01-11-2010, 11:54 AM
So i'm playing on a competitive team with 4 single players and although practice is easy going and fun.. we have challenge matches and I'm sure both of us gets nervous and want to compete hard and win... but back of my mind I'm kind of feel like stepping back few steps from my very aggressive game since he's my teammate and such and plus it's a time to bond or get to know each other before season starts..... But on the other hand.. everytime I don't go full throttle and treat him as any opponent in leagues or tournaments then my game suffers... And going out there with a bang seems like i'm very arrogant or mean spirited..... (of course i'll let him know afterwards that i play this style and hopefully that makes it all good)..

So basically, should i just do small talk beginning then just go out and play my agressive A+ game? Changeovers, I would actually sometimes walk the other way so i don't talk to keep my focus (i've read it on tennis magazine shouldnt talk ... i mean you don't see pros talking to each other..)
But I actually do talk if things go my way but i refrain that too since that's being bit selfish..

Kick_It
01-11-2010, 12:09 PM
A couple things make sense to me:

1) I'd go out with my B or B+ game initially and then adapt based upon how they play.

Sounds like you stand to improve as a player - in situations where full-out aggressive play isn't the path to victory anyways (and in many situations aggressive play is not the only path to victory). Now there are lots of different ways to play aggressive - but I think you get my intention.

2) The goal of these practice matches is to improve and prepare for tough competition - so I don't see a problem with bringing your A+ game - as long as you are both on the same page about that initial goal.

One thing I do when I start to practice is to ask my practice partners if there is anything they want to work on - and adapt to incorporate that. You could apply something like that in this context. At least that way you reduce fears of being perceived as arrogant.

Good Luck! K_I

Cindysphinx
01-11-2010, 01:18 PM
I would say this.

The purpose of practice is to get better at things. We all have different things at which we need to get better.

It sounds like it might make sense to practice not letting things that happen before a match or during changeovers decrease your intensity or distract you. I would suggest going out of your way to be as friendly as your teammate/practice opponent can tolerate. After a while, it will be like flipping a switch, toggling back and before between intensity and friendliness.

That's what I would do, anyway . . . .

Geezer Guy
01-11-2010, 02:50 PM
When you "practice", be as friendly and accomodating as possible.
When you play a match, play full out. I assume you can play aggressively without being a jerk, right?

monkeyisland90
01-11-2010, 03:10 PM
i don't say anything evil, negative to the other person... maybe my body language might show it but i have no intention of hurting the other person (even if the other guy is jerk, i tried to stay calm).. problem is my blood is pumping and if i dont get into the match i usually don play up to par... but basically, i'll grunt, game face looks intense, few come on's (but to myself), and just run around aggressive and swing aggressive... just my style of play... i hope that's not being jerk? I used to give points to myself when it looked out to me but now i see that gets most people upset so i just give benefit of doubt to them... i don't throw tantrums or throw racquet .....

i guess its just my own perception that constantly worried what people think... and i'm just timid and shy but want to play my guts out.

fuzz nation
01-14-2010, 08:23 AM
When anyone is out there across the net from you and can play at your level, they deserve your better game I think. If I spotted an opponent going easy on me in the middle of a heated match where let's say he was up a set and a break, I'd be a little p-o'ed. As long as the one player isn't being embarrassed, the opponent ought to make a serious go of it. Winning or losing, be gracious.

The issue of talking is one where I think it's wise to just "test the waters". If I offer a benign word or two on a changeover, I've opened the door. Either the other guy will respond or keep to himself and I try to be aware of that. Lots of times, there's little to say until after a set is done. Often times that seems to be the point in a match where an opponent, winning or losing, will take a minute to chat about whatever before we get back into it.

Some players will certainly try and use some chatter to throw an opponent's frame of mind off by a little. Whenever I get a sense of this in a match, I try to perceive it in a positive way - as in my opponent needs to resort to this to help them beat me. I've learned to look upon any second guessing of my line calls in the same fashion.

Competitive doubles is a different story. I'm actually less likely to try and chat up another team just because they're usually trying to talk things over between them. I sort of expect that and generally leave them alone, especially since I should be doing this with my partner, too! There's usually plenty to talk about among the four of us after the match anyway.