PDA

View Full Version : Playing higher rank and lower rank players

monkeyisland90
01-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Anyone here feel they play better when higher rank players play you.. (for me most of time yes, i seem to size them up.. and feel i have to bring my A game and actually have more fun since I'm playing my potential) Or sometimes just get whooped due to nerves and poor skills compare to them...

When i play lower ranked (usta rating) I seem to get nervous at times since I have to win since i'm ranked higher or put pressure on myself.. and my ego takes over and not my head...

Which kind of makes me wonder that my rating is just all over the place and really don't know my rating... so i'll just say anywhere from 3.5-4.5 cause i've lost to 3.5 players and i've beet 4.5 players.... I don't push the ball and very aggressive... I think it's just where my confident is at and my nerves...

raiden031
01-11-2010, 01:17 PM
I will hit better cooperatively against higher rated players, but I don't think I play better in matches against them.

Seems odd that you could lose to a 3.5 but beat a 4.5. I've never come close to beating a 4.5 player and can beat most 3.5s soundly.

JoelDali
01-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Huge thread on this from a few months ago... :)

Bashi
01-12-2010, 03:27 PM
i've done the same thing at my high school - i can have very competitive matches with the #1-2 players but then when i play some of the lower ranked people ill freeze up and play horribly.

Steady Eddy
01-12-2010, 03:49 PM
One always seems to look good when playing a good player. It's no fun to play a bad player because even a 6-4 win is a morale defeat. Also, never let on that you think you'd trounce someone, it puts too much pressure on you. Then when you're tied 2-2 you already start to panic. You tend to become impatient or too cautious. Don't make predictions about matches you're playing it. If pressed, just let it go with a "we'll see".