PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Slice Serve Tips?

Manus Domini
01-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Can anyone offer me any tips on increasing the speed on a reverse slice serve? I have the consistency down, but I don't really know how I would add power, as it is such an awkward serve.

If anyone could please help, that would be nice.

(Btw, I can preform normal slice serves, and sometimes topspin serves, but not flat, in case you are suggesting I switch service)

mikeler
01-12-2010, 06:44 AM
You are better off practicing the flat serve rather than a reverse slice.

Mister Goulash
01-12-2010, 07:05 AM
What on earth is a "reverse" slice serve?

LeeD
01-12-2010, 07:53 AM
I've faced lots of players who served with a SW or W grip, getting a left handers spin while being a right handed server. Maybe 5 or 6 thru the years.
Never had special problems, as most can't hit a normal slice, so you play them like they're left handers.
You lose out on topspin trying that reverse serve, so it just bounces stomach high and the returner gets to hit from his sweetspot. Me lefty, it's a forehand from my best strikezone.
All sorts of guys try to take you out of your comfort zone. That's competitive tennis. I've faced guys, easy 4.5's, who served 50 mph with super hard slice, short and takes you into the fence before you hit the ball. That particular guy, at 6'5", can also hit a 135 mph first serve.
That's tennis. Take the opponent out of his comfort zone.

Manus Domini
01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
I've faced lots of players who served with a SW or W grip, getting a left handers spin while being a right handed server. Maybe 5 or 6 thru the years.
Never had special problems, as most can't hit a normal slice, so you play them like they're left handers.
You lose out on topspin trying that reverse serve, so it just bounces stomach high and the returner gets to hit from his sweetspot. Me lefty, it's a forehand from my best strikezone.
All sorts of guys try to take you out of your comfort zone. That's competitive tennis. I've faced guys, easy 4.5's, who served 50 mph with super hard slice, short and takes you into the fence before you hit the ball. That particular guy, at 6'5", can also hit a 135 mph first serve.
That's tennis. Take the opponent out of his comfort zone.

I can do a normal slice serve, as well as topspin. But if I can manage to add spin and speed, it's a nice little trick to have up my sleeves (I wouldn't do it commonly, too slow in comparison). I have S&V serve style sometimes, and I think that it may be a good trick to have for that style.

Do you remember how they preformed the shot at all?

Manus Domini
01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
What on earth is a "reverse" slice serve?

a slice serve with the back-hand side of the racket

Zachol82
01-12-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm guessing a reverse-slice serve is brushing the ball from right to left, instead of left to right, for a righty?

If so, I wouldn't really try to learn it. Sure, it's different, but higher level players should know what the path of your shots are by just seeing how you swing at it. It's not worth the effort to learn it to be honest...sorry.

Manus Domini
01-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm not playing high-level players right now ;)

just high-school tennis, against players with horrid back-hands, and bad tempers.

It isn't hard to learn, just to use effectively. And at my level, that isn't hard if I can add speed or spin, which is all I really need to know at this point...

Zachol82
01-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Don't limit yourself! Go for the 150mph flat serve down the T!!

Blake0
01-12-2010, 07:27 PM
I can't find that video of the guy who hit a 120+ reverse slice out wide on the ad side..hopefully someone knows what i'm talking about..it was a doubles match...amazing serve.

Although i'm not sure how to help you.

bee
01-12-2010, 07:48 PM
I use that reverse slice serve some. It works best for me, a right hander, in the ad court out wide. I think it is best used sparingly and as a surprise to your opponent. Best to not use it so much that your opponent starts looking for it. As a right hander I find out wide to the ad is the most comfortable way to hit it. I suspect it might hurt your arm if you use it a lot, and I think it'd be more difficult and hard on your arm to hit it as a right hander to the deuce court.

However, there is one guy I play who hits nearly all of his serves with a reverse slice spin. It's not a big hop, but his serves definitely curve the opposite as you'd expect. And, he doesn't have a really bad serve. So I'm kinda' studying him and trying to figure out what he's doing.

Good luck with it. I find it to be fun.

papa
01-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Well, the "reverse slice" is a ball that travels and bounces opposite of what a normal slice would do. Its not the easiest thing to do by the way, and you have to be careful you don't mess up your arm and ribs in the process. I know of a couple of left-handers who can do the serve very well but in my opinion, it kind of defeats the natural flow of a being left-handed.

mikeler
01-13-2010, 06:02 AM
I can't find that video of the guy who hit a 120+ reverse slice out wide on the ad side..hopefully someone knows what i'm talking about..it was a doubles match...amazing serve.

Although i'm not sure how to help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9nkDYr9iZw

SirSweetSpot
01-13-2010, 06:35 AM
^^Notice how the returner was in no way expecting that serve...yet still returned it with ease.

jrod
01-13-2010, 06:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9nkDYr9iZw

Ridiculous...not something I use very often in a match. Maybe up a break and serving 40-0...when you hit it well it usually doesn't come back.

LeeD
01-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Just use a SW or W forehand grip and hit a few. You'll find out how to get it into the court soon enough.
Like I said, no topspin, so pure reverse slice, which bounces right into the opponent's strikezone.

Manus Domini
01-13-2010, 12:09 PM
ok, thanks

hacker_101
01-13-2010, 12:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2r2If7_zZA

goran_ace
01-13-2010, 12:17 PM
I used to hit a serve that (as a righty) broke left to right like a screwball in baseball - what I think is the one you are calling the reverse slice. I stopped using it because it messed up my elbow.

Manus Domini
01-13-2010, 12:36 PM

I do hit my serve downwards from right to left, just with the back of my racket. But I'll try it.

@Goren Ace, do you know why it hurt your elbow?

SirSweetSpot
01-14-2010, 06:56 AM

Is that a Special Olympics qualifier match?:???:

mental midget
01-14-2010, 07:28 AM
every second you spend practicing this ridiculous stroke is a second more you'll fall behind someone practicing something useful.

that's only advice for people actively looking to improve. if you're just messing around, i'm all for it.

Bashi
01-14-2010, 01:29 PM
i've hit these accidentally a few times. not sure what kind of serve i was trying to hit, but for one i was serving from the deuce court and it landed right on the t. awesome