PDA

View Full Version : I am sad

Kenny022593
01-11-2010, 01:38 PM
So in the upcoming tournament i have to play a top 50 kid in NY and i am sad. What should i do? I have practice on thursday and friday and my match is on saturday. Is it possible for a 0-3 against 1star players to pull out a win? I have never seen the kid play before and don't know what he plays like but i guess the ranking is making me freat. I know rankings could mean many different things but i also know that the kid probably out matches me in play and experience. I did go 1-6 1-6 against the 75th kid in NY using a one dimmensional net rushing serve volley game.

So... I guess i am asking for tips on how to approach this since i am new to tournaments still. Should i just forget about his rank and play my spin serve S&V style? Or should i mix it up alot? Any tips?

mikro112
01-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Don't worry. Go out there and have fun! If you lose, learn from it and it should give you motivation to become a better player! If you win: Great!

You have nothing to lose as he is ranked that highly. Believe in your abilities and it'll work out.

And always remember: One day you lose, one day you win! ;)

Ripper014
01-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Just play the game... the results are just the results.

HunterST
01-11-2010, 02:21 PM
To me your best shot is to go in knowing you have nothing to lose, but still want to win. That way you're relaxed yet alert. Try out your game for the first 2 or 3 games, if it's working, keep doing it. If it is't, you're going to have to take some more risks. As you know, confidence is one of the biggest keys to winning, so don't doubt yourself.

Bud
01-11-2010, 03:29 PM
So in the upcoming tournament i have to play a top 50 kid in NY and i am sad. What should i do? I have practice on thursday and friday and my match is on saturday. Is it possible for a 0-3 against 1star players to pull out a win? I have never seen the kid play before and don't know what he plays like but i guess the ranking is making me freat. I know rankings could mean many different things but i also know that the kid probably out matches me in play and experience. I did go 6-1 6-1 against the 75th kid in NY using a one dimmensional net rushing serve volley game.

So... I guess i am asking for tips on how to approach this since i am new to tournaments still. Should i just forget about his rank and play my spin serve S&V style? Or should i mix it up alot? Any tips?

Why are you sad? You're not excited... nervous, etc? It's a freakin' tennis match for god's sake! :)

Go out, do your best and remember to play the ball... not your ranked opponent.

Enjoy it!

tribunal4555
01-11-2010, 03:30 PM
This is exactly what my coach is telling me about, because I have no idea how many of the people I'll be playing in Futures tournaments play like. Just be relaxed. You know your chances are not the best, and that no one, even yourself, expects you to win. You still have to want it, but if you don't get it, well, no harm no foul. Just go out there and play your best.

LeeD
01-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Don't place so much emphasis on rankings and ratings.
There's a reason they still play the matches on court, rather than just consult the computer results and figure out who should win or lose, and by how much.
Enjoy the competition, that's why you're playing tennis.
Just match up your best shots against your opponent's worst shots.
Try to take them out of their comfort zone.
It's all a learning experience.
Lifes but a stage, and we're all just players upon that big stage called "life".....:twisted::twisted:

beckham
01-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Mix it up, see what works and use it. I would practice several dimensions.

Bagumbawalla
01-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Just play your best. Play to your strengths- whatever they may be. Avoid trying for "too much"- concentrate on the basics- getting to the ball, setting up and stroking through the ball.

Play percentages. Wait for opportunities. Do more of the things that win you points and try to avoid situations that lose you points. Stay loose.

No matter what the outcome, you will have learned a few things-- to your benefit.

Geezer Guy
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
You beat the 75th ranked kid 6-1, 6-1 - and you're worried about playing the 50th ranked kid? You'll probably smoke him too. It would be nice if you knew a bit about his playing style so you could prepare. Still, I think you're overly concerned about nothing.

Claudius
01-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Play while thinking you're God...

Fedace
01-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Play to Win. Ranking in the Juniors mean Squat. When i was in HS, i played this kid that was ranked 56 in the region. I went out there thinking he is just another player, go out there and Win. and if i don't that is ok too. Go out there and believe, it all starts there.....

Tennisman912
01-11-2010, 04:56 PM
First, believe you belong on the same court with him. If you don’t believe you are a worthy opponent, you won’t be. Be confident and sure of yourself on the court. Make him realize you believe you are worthy of playing him and that you are not intimidated by his ranking. He will notice. And then realize you are not going to roll over for him and he has a fight on his hands.

After all, you beat the 75th ranked guy easily. So you have all the reason in the world to believe you belong there. Then go out and play your game and take him out of his. But above all, play your game, don’t over hit and enjoy the competition. Play your best and you are already a winner no matter the outcome. Use this to build on your tennis game. Baby steps. This is a marathon and not a sprint. And when you are winning, do not let up until it is over. One shot or point at a time.

Best of luck. I am confident you will do well, especially if YOU believe it.

TM

Ripper014
01-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Actually you should go in enjoying the experience... if he really is that much better than you it gives you a gauge of how far you need to go. Playing someone a lot better than you does not come around very often... take advantage of it.

It does not matter who you are, it is seldom that anyone gets to play with someone several level better than themselves... and when you do... enjoy the time on the court with them, and learn.

aimr75
01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
OP, post an update on how you went, good luck

goran_ace
01-12-2010, 11:03 AM
If you walk on to that court with that attitude, you've already lost the match. Don't be afraid. Once the match starts rankings don't matter, it's all about who gets it done on the court.

With only a few days until the match, now is not the time to talk about technique or try out new strategies or shots. Stick to your strengths and work around your weaknesses.

Don't beat yourself with errors or by trying to do too much with every ball; make him have to hit great shots to beat you. Tell yourself that you will not quit on a point no matter what the score is and let him know that you are ready to outwork him.

maverick66
01-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Hook him twice in the opening game. He will get mad and you will win.:)

DavaiMarat
01-12-2010, 11:36 AM
So in the upcoming tournament i have to play a top 50 kid in NY and i am sad. What should i do? I have practice on thursday and friday and my match is on saturday. Is it possible for a 0-3 against 1star players to pull out a win? I have never seen the kid play before and don't know what he plays like but i guess the ranking is making me freat. I know rankings could mean many different things but i also know that the kid probably out matches me in play and experience. I did go 6-1 6-1 against the 75th kid in NY using a one dimmensional net rushing serve volley game.

Think about it this way. Out of a draw of 32 players, there's only really one winner isn't there?

Your goal is too play well but too often everyone gets caught up in how 'far' they get in the tourney.

Sumo
01-12-2010, 11:39 AM

Game. Set. Match.
Best advice you'll receive.

Kenny022593
01-12-2010, 01:09 PM
You beat the 75th ranked kid 6-1, 6-1 - and you're worried about playing the 50th ranked kid? You'll probably smoke him too. It would be nice if you knew a bit about his playing style so you could prepare. Still, I think you're overly concerned about nothing.

lost to 75th ranked kid did i typo?

Yeah i did typo haha =( losing braincells is bad i fixxed it though

Bud
01-12-2010, 01:10 PM

Is that calling a line ball out?

Ripper014
01-12-2010, 01:16 PM

That is calling any ball out... it doesn't need to hit the line. I call it cheating.

jmverdugo
01-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Have different strategies and stay with what works best. If something is working keep doing it. Play point by point. If you are to tense focus on making contact with the ball and whatever happens always keep your feet in movement.

There is no point on been sad, this is what you have been training for. Also there is no shame on pushing from time to time!

maverick66
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM

Yes it is. Ive seen it happen a million times when one kid calls a questionable ball out and the other loses it and smashes every ball in the net.
I call it cheating.

I call it a tactical readjustment of the rules.:)

there is no shame on pushing from time to time!

This is not a bad idea. Make him beat you. Dont go out there and make a million errors and hand him a match. Make him earn every point. See if he will be able to hit one winner after another.

HunterST
01-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Yes it is. Ive seen it happen a million times when one kid calls a questionable ball out and the other loses it and smashes every ball in the net.

I call it a tactical readjustment of the rules.:)

This is not a bad idea. Make him beat you. Dont go out there and make a million errors and hand him a match. Make him earn every point. See if he will be able to hit one winner after another.

Pushing in the classical sense is a bad idea. OP needs to be, as they say, "playing for the future" not just pushing the balls back. Now playing a good counterpunching game would be a different story.

Also, the kid ranked 50 is probably good enough to beat a pusher.

maverick66
01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Pushing in the classical sense is a bad idea. OP needs to be, as they say, "playing for the future" not just pushing the balls back. Now playing a good counterpunching game would be a different story.

He needs to be playing to win. You play to win. These people who play to improve never win and use it as an excuse that they were working on something. You have practice to work on stuff. When you play tournies you are there to win.

Also, the kid ranked 50 is probably good enough to beat a pusher.

Ive seen better ranked lose to pushers. Juniors are not known for consistency. They are known for impatience and smashing balls they have no business going for. If he can just keep the ball semi deep and stay consistent he has a chance to win.

tribunal4555
01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Ive seen better ranked lose to pushers. Juniors are not known for consistency. They are known for impatience and smashing balls they have no business going for. If he can just keep the ball semi deep and stay consistent he has a chance to win.

Exactly. Just by junking the ball, forcing a player out of their rhythm, highly ranked players can lose their cool sometimes.

Sumo
01-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Juniors are not known for consistency.

Or particularly strong mental games.
That's what made that 'hooking' comment pure gold.

Zachol82
01-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Don't worry. Go out there and have fun! If you lose, learn from it and it should give you motivation to become a better player! If you win: Great!

You have nothing to lose as he is ranked that highly. Believe in your abilities and it'll work out.

And always remember: One day you lose, one day you win! ;)

WHAT??! Go out there and have fun?! Motivation from losing?! Nothing to lose?!? Losing one day?!?

I don't mean to offend you, but going out with this mindset is pretty much saying to yourself "well, I know I'm going to lose but..."

First off, you'd have much more fun if you kick ***!! Second, you'd be a lot more motivated to play more matches if you WIN! Third, losing your pride alone is detrimental enough. Lastly, losing one day is not acceptable! Win today so you wont have to worry about "making a comeback."

Goodluck! Just go out there and whoop his ***. Start out strong and carry the momentum. Don't be afraid to swing out the first couple points to warm-up your muscles correctly. Don't be afraid to go for winners, because if you are, you'll be dinking shots around the rest of the match AND hate yourself for not giving it your all when you lose!

papatenis
01-12-2010, 06:43 PM
If your new to tournament play, try lower level tournaments, here in socal, we have three levels of tournaments. Satellite, novice and opens. Start off on the lowest level and work your way up.

Don't be sad, it's only a game.

HunterST
01-12-2010, 06:48 PM
He needs to be playing to win. You play to win. These people who play to improve never win and use it as an excuse that they were working on something. You have practice to work on stuff. When you play tournies you are there to win.

People who play to improve never win? That's a pretty arbitrary claim with no support backing it up. It's about playing the way you're going to need to in the future. Nick Bolleteri and Andre Agassi both say that juniors need to play with the future in mind. Are you right and the world class experts are wrong?

maverick66
01-12-2010, 07:05 PM
People who play to improve never win? That's a pretty arbitrary claim with no support backing it up. It's about playing the way you're going to need to in the future. Nick Bolleteri and Andre Agassi both say that juniors need to play with the future in mind. Are you right and the world class experts are wrong?

Yes he needs to play with a future in mind and winning is better than losing. He has practices matches to work on things. In tournies its all about winning. nothing else matters in a tourny. If you wanna improve things do it in practice. You practice to win matches why would I practice to go to a tourny to practice more?

HunterST
01-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Yes he needs to play with a future in mind and winning is better than losing. He has practices matches to work on things. In tournies its all about winning. nothing else matters in a tourny. If you wanna improve things do it in practice. You practice to win matches why would I practice to go to a tourny to practice more?

I just mean if his go-to strategy is to push it's going to be self limiting. He needs the experience of knowing when to use calculated risk, and attacking his opponents weaknesses in a real match. Sure practice matches help, but the pressure is going to be different in a real match and he needs that experience in my opinion.

lawlitssoo1n
01-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Go in with a game, and play YOUR game, not your opponents. and believe you can win

maverick66
01-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I just mean if his go-to strategy is to push it's going to be self limiting. He needs the experience of knowing when to use calculated risk, and attacking his opponents weaknesses in a real match. Sure practice matches help, but the pressure is going to be different in a real match and he needs that experience in my opinion.

thats true its different pressure. Even more reason to play a little bit more conservative to start. See if the other guy is nervous as well. Maybe his opponents weakness is consistency and mental strength. Now telling him to attack a better player he will never ever learn this. He needs to play cross court tennis for a game or two and find out what hes up against. What you call pushing at your low level is not what im talking about. Im saying go in there and just hit high % shots and let him make the mistake. Keep it semi deep and away from the middle and see what he does.

HunterST
01-12-2010, 07:42 PM
thats true its different pressure. Even more reason to play a little bit more conservative to start. See if the other guy is nervous as well. Maybe his opponents weakness is consistency and mental strength. Now telling him to attack a better player he will never ever learn this. He needs to play cross court tennis for a game or two and find out what hes up against. What you call pushing at your low level is not what im talking about. Im saying go in there and just hit high % shots and let him make the mistake. Keep it semi deep and away from the middle and see what he does.

Yeah in that case I agree. That's why in my first post I said "counterpunching may be a different story".

P.S.
You had to throw in the "your low level" comment didn't you :( haha
I'm an okay player!

W Cats
01-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Wow, sounds like you like challenges. To start the P90x program last week and playing a tournament this weekend. Good luck and the best to you. Let us know how it goes.

Oh to be young again.

Kenny022593
01-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Wow, sounds like you like challenges. To start the P90x program last week and playing a tournament this weekend. Good luck and the best to you. Let us know how it goes.

Oh to be young again.

haha this tournament was kind of a surprise to be honest. I forgot about it until wednesday of last week so yeah... I'll update how it goes.

maverick66
01-12-2010, 09:05 PM
haha this tournament was kind of a surprise to be honest. I forgot about it until wednesday of last week so yeah... I'll update how it goes.

So your not very serious about tennis?

Kenny022593
01-13-2010, 11:35 AM
So your not very serious about tennis?

no i am i just forgot taht there was a tournament that was coming up at my local club

vincent_tennis
01-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Control what you can control then KICK HIS ARSE >:]