PDA

View Full Version : Preparation Grip for Return of Serve?

Funbun
01-11-2010, 03:05 PM
May someone suggest me a way to hold my racquet in prep for the return of serve?

I've noticed some players, usually 1HBHers, hold it with a continental grip and nondominant on the throat.

Personally, I'm a 2HBH with a Continental + Semi-Western backhand combo. I also hit my forehands with SW grip. How should I hold my grip? I read in this article: http://www.tennisplayer.net/public/tour_strokes/bobby_bernstein/the_%20pro_return/the_%20pro_return.html ...that most 2HBH pros wait with the normal forehand and backhand grips on the racquet.

Since I use a SW backhand instead of Eastern, should I just leave my nondominant hand on the throat? Or Should I just use an Eastern backhand? Or will I have enough time to switch to a SW backhand?

Bashi
01-11-2010, 03:24 PM
i hit the same types of strokes as you, and i always keep the fingers of my left hand lightly on the throat - not quite holding it, just letting it rest on my fingers, and i have my right hand in a SW grip. i find that with your left hand on the throat its easy enough if you need to hit a backhand to switch the grip in your hand quickly and get your left hand in position. i never really liked having both hands on the racquet for returns - if i need to hit a forehand or block back a BH slice i feel like it slows me down too much

LeeD
01-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Basically, your choice.
I'm SW forehand, EBH, conti volley and chip returns.
Big fast first serves, usually conti for a chip return.
Second serves and moderate first serves, SW forehand since I find it easier to switch from forehand to backhand grip using the oft hand on the throat.
Since some guys insist on serving to your backhand only, maybe try that grip to start against them.
Most servers choose to mix it up against me, so I use my SW forehand grip, oft hand on the throat SW gripped also.

Bud
01-11-2010, 04:35 PM
May someone suggest me a way to hold my racquet in prep for the return of serve?

I've noticed some players, usually 1HBHers, hold it with a continental grip and nondominant on the throat.

Personally, I'm a 2HBH with a Continental + Semi-Western backhand combo. I also hit my forehands with SW grip. How should I hold my grip? I read in this article: http://www.tennisplayer.net/public/tour_strokes/bobby_bernstein/the_%20pro_return/the_%20pro_return.html ...that most 2HBH pros wait with the normal forehand and backhand grips on the racquet.

Since I use a SW backhand instead of Eastern, should I just leave my nondominant hand on the throat? Or Should I just use an Eastern backhand? Or will I have enough time to switch to a SW backhand?

If you use a 2HBH... both hands should be in the ready position on the handle (not one hand on the throat and one on the handle).

I also use a continental/SW 2HBH. My ready position, however is in the FH position (SW with both hands). If the ball comes to my BH it's a quick rotation of my right hand to the continental grip). I can then slice it or hit with TS.

I wait in the FH ready position since my FH is much stronger than my BH and any ball that comes to the FH on serve gets hit hard :)... I only switched to a 2HBH 4 months ago... and the goal is to get it equal to my FH.

Bagumbawalla
01-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Some people hold an intermediate grip (somewhere between the forehand and backhand). Some choose the forehand or backhand grip while waiting for the serve. Mostly it is a matter of habit and personal choice.

I wait with the forehand grip and here's why--

With an internediate/half-way grip, 100% of the time you must make a decision and rotate your grip left or right. On the other hand, holding either the forehand or backhand grip means that 50% of the time you already have the correct grip and if you do change it, then it is always the same motion/direction and not another left/right decision- so it saves time and thought.

I choose the forehand grip because my left hand cradles the racket and, if I get a backhand, it seem a more natural movement to rotate my body in that direction and reposition my hand- all in one fluid motion.

I have a one-handed backhand- so it may not be exactly the same in your case.

LeeD
01-12-2010, 08:33 AM
When I could actually play decent tennis, about 33 years ago, I used a two handed backhand also. Return of serve grip was normal forehand strong hand and normal 2hbh weak hand, so I was always ready to hit return of serves, unless they went out wide or directly into my body.
I kept losing to guys who served out wide and into my body, so switched to 1hbh. Now I can handle those shots, but my returns are WEAKER overall.

Davis937
01-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Hey, FunBun ... I use the exact same grips that you do (continental and semiwestern for 2HBH and semiwestern for the FH) ... I agree with Bud ... I think it is easier and more efficient for your return grip to hold as follows: (1) your dominant hand will be in a semiwestern grip; (2) nondominant hand will also be in the SW grip; NOTE: both hands should be on the racquet handle (why waste time holding the throat of the racquet) ... if the serve goes to your FH, you merely remove your nondominant hand ... you already have your SW grip and you're cocked and ready to hit your return ... if the serve goes to your forehand, you merely make a quick adjustment/turn to your continental grip (... the beauty of the 2HBH is that even if its a fast first serve to your BH and you do not switch the grip quickly enough to a full continental, you can still return the serve with a grip that is "slightly" off ... I hold my FH grip because, for me, it's easier to switch to the BH grip rather than go from BH to FH grip ... all that being said ... in the end, however, it's probably an individual choice here ... we're talking about millisecond differences in time ... it's what you feel comfortable with ... and ... have confidence in ... good luck!

sh@de
01-15-2010, 03:12 AM
I think most pros with a 2HBH do this:

Dominant hand in forehand grip.
Non-dominant hand in backhand grip.

This way, no need to change grips if you're to hit a forehand, and if it's hitting a backhand, you only change your dominant hand's grip from a forehand grip to a conti grip. Very simple, and allows for quick adjustment.

Mig1NC
01-15-2010, 04:04 AM

This way, no need to change grips if you're to hit a forehand, and if it's hitting a backhand, you only change your dominant hand's grip from a forehand grip to a conti grip. Very simple, and allows for quick adjustment.

That's basically what I do. My off hand is already in its position for my 2HBH & my dominant hand is in my forehand grip, but very loose and can quickly twist over the grip if I need to use my 2HBH. If the ball goes to forehand side, then I just tighten up a smidge and release with my off hand to start my back swing.

Bud
01-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Hey, FunBun ... I use the exact same grips that you do (continental and semiwestern for 2HBH and semiwestern for the FH) ... I agree with Bud ... I think it is easier and more efficient for your return grip to hold as follows: (1) your dominant hand will be in a semiwestern grip; (2) nondominant hand will also be in the SW grip; NOTE: both hands should be on the racquet handle (why waste time holding the throat of the racquet) ... if the serve goes to your FH, you merely remove your nondominant hand ... you already have your SW grip and you're cocked and ready to hit your return ... if the serve goes to your forehand, you merely make a quick adjustment/turn to your continental grip (... the beauty of the 2HBH is that even if its a fast first serve to your BH and you do not switch the grip quickly enough to a full continental, you can still return the serve with a grip that is "slightly" off ... I hold my FH grip because, for me, it's easier to switch to the BH grip rather than go from BH to FH grip ... all that being said ... in the end, however, it's probably an individual choice here ... we're talking about millisecond differences in time ... it's what you feel comfortable with ... and ... have confidence in ... good luck!

I agree. It's easier for me to quickly change to a BH grip if the ball is served to my BH. My ready position is always FH (SW on both hands).

Funbun
01-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Bud, would you keep your racquet face parallel to the ground or perpindicular?

Bud
01-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Bud, would you keep your racquet face parallel to the ground or perpindicular?

Perpendicular ;)

Davis937
01-16-2010, 02:07 AM
Perpendicular ;)

I STRONGLY agree, Bud ... it should be perpendicular ... my friends say I should hold my racquet parallel to the ground, but that just doesn't feel "right" for me ... I think there's a quicker reaction time with the racquet in the perpendicular position ... some returners, in this preparation position, move slowly left to right as they are waiting for the serve (just from the waist up, their footbase is stationary ... until the split step) ... others don't move their upper torso at all ... they remain stationary throughout facing the server (until they split step just before hitting) ... do you have any preferences (if you can decipher my question ... wasn't posed all that clearly) ... Thanks.