PDA

View Full Version : My video - comments?

why_so_curious93
01-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Hey,

First thread here :) so bear with me!
Here is a video of me playing.
If you have any comments regarding how I can improve my technique and improve I would greatly appreciate it. Plz don't mention ''move your feet'' hence the name of the video (lazy practice) ;)

Camera needed charging so wasn't able to put it on court to see where ball goes. That will be next vid!

Anwhooo, you are welcome to leave along what you think my NTRP rating is even though it seems to be quite subjective on this site (everywhere for that matter).

Plz no negative comments that do not have the intent to be constructive in a way.

Regards,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zqPDkhiuF0

LeeD
01-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah, you hit good, maybe 4.0 level, but your backhand seems awry somehow, the mix of 2hbh and weird late one handed slices.
Would be nice to see you hitting against a consistent opponent who hits to both sides and then some volleys and more serves and serve returns.
Maybe lengthen your forehand stroke to get more power. You seem to be choking up your swing to insure the ball stays in.

why_so_curious93
01-11-2010, 02:56 PM
LeeD,

Thanks, yeah well I was recently injured for 4 months with rotator cuff/biceps tendinitis. I normally have a 1 hander which everyone adores :P But due to the fact that there is more stress put on the shoulder for 1 hander it was recommended I hit 2 hander until it gets back to 100%. Any tips on how I could improve the 2 hander?

It probably makes sense to you know why I hit so many late slices cuz 1 handers are obsessed with them ;P

And you're right, on some forehand I extend pretty well I would say but on others you are correct, I do choke at times!

Thanks once again.

why_so_curious93
01-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Also the reason for so little serves with no effort like shown in the vid

LeeD
01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
No, you hit GOOD.
I"m not saying you don't.
But really hard to comment on vids when there's so many variables.
Some people say I should post of vid of myself. I'd like to, but don't have the technology. But still, a 17 months old sprained left ankle (me lefty), a tendon left wrist problem, 61 years old, just healed torn right meniscus, just don't make it worth viding.......:confused:

why_so_curious93
01-11-2010, 03:18 PM
haha, appreciate it! but like everyone else my goal is to hit GREAT :P
idk what GOOD means btw ;) but yeah no matter how good or bad I am, I just wanna get better.
got any tips for the 2 hander?

wilsonplayer
01-11-2010, 03:26 PM
for the backhand, your wrists seem a little too broken on contact. also, your late on your preparation on both sides

LeeD
01-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Just looked again...
You might actually be better than 4.0. Pretty grooved strokes.
But can't tell unless you're trying, and your hitting partner can hit faster and more consistently. You look like top 3 high school even, very good.
But we need to see some real 2hbh's, some real volleys, some returns of serves, and stuff at full speed and you actually trying, rather than a casual hit.
Remember, we've seen vids of casual hits from Youzny and Federer, and some posters called them "4.5"'s.
And lately, the vids of #500 and #200 goofing around, some posters say they're as bad as 4.0's.
If you're gonna goof around, don't vid.

why_so_curious93
01-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Wilsonplayer, thanks, I watched one of your vids and I think I get what you mean! appreciate it!

LeeD, I don't know if that last sentence was anger towards me or the other ppl who post vids. Because I certainly wasn't goofing around, just that I can't hit 100% for a while because I am doing rehab for my shoulder.

and thanks for the other compliments!
When you say 3 at highschool, what opportunities does that or my game give me for US college tennis?

LeeD
01-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Most top 3 singles highschool players seem to seamlessly slide right into the singles team after one season on the doubles teams. Keep playing, and seems you should make it easily into Div 11 or 111. Stanford, maybe not. Tennessee, maybe not.
Hard to make comments on an injured player's form. Just not fair, as you have to favor the injury, not making you look your best.

why_so_curious93
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
So you're saying they play doubles first year then are easily promoted to singles? I've been offered a starting position at a DIII but I'm looking for D11.
Anyhow, do they give you as much in scholarship if you play doubles first year than if you played singles?

LeeD
01-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't think any Div2 college gives out scholarships for doubles. First year freshman, it's a learning experience.
But if you make singles, it's a different story, depending on exactly how much $$$$ is in the tennis program kitty.
My two hitting buds went from #1 high school to singles top 3's at CityCollege of SanFrancisco. No scholarship.
RollieZalameda went from #1 at Mission to CanadaCollege #6, no scholarship money.
MichaelGee, another hitting partner, went from #1 Lowell High to Stanford first year, didn't even make the team.

why_so_curious93
01-11-2010, 04:41 PM
ahha you're scaring me now :P
well it comforts me in knowing that (given that your two hitting partners are apprx ur age) there is more money in college tennis than there was 40 years ago :P

why_so_curious93
01-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Your 4.0 rating as LeeD suggested is really comical. He loves to buttkiss to no end!

Anyway, I would rate you as far as 2.0 or a strong 2.5 to be perfectly honest. Your strokes look really weak with little to no "zip" in them.

My advice here is to bulk up and switch up to a 1hbh. Your 2hbh right now is easily attackable.:oops:

I would like you and everyone else to take a look of this link of your profile and your posts :

Every single one is NEGATIVE!!
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/search.php?searchid=7162575
Honestly, if you are so amazing plz post a vid cuz im dying to see it and FYI definition of a 2.5 :
This player:
is starting to play on a regular basis, at least twice a month
is starting to develop and favoring a more dependable side
is starting to realize his strike zone

Your post is ''comical''...

aimr75
01-11-2010, 05:38 PM
I would like you and everyone else to take a look of this link of your profile and your posts :

Honestly, if you are so amazing plz post a vid cuz im dying to see it and FYI definition of a 2.5 :
This player:

theres no need to call him out, everyone knows these posts of his arent serious

Claudius
01-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Lance, you have no idea what you're talking about.

why_so_curious93
01-11-2010, 05:41 PM
aimr75,

well I'm new so for future reference I'll be sure to ignore them :P
and while you're here, do you have any *useful* :P comments?

why_so_curious93
01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Claudius,

Thanks for the back-up :)
and any feedback?

lancernrg
01-11-2010, 05:46 PM

This player:

Sigh...I had a feeling you were gonna lash out at me. Look kid, if you can't handle criticism you won't survive in this world.

why_so_curious93
01-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Sigh...I had a feeling you were gonna lash out at me. Look kid, if you can't handle criticism you won't survive in this world.

Well if you are this negative in reality, I can't begin to imagine how you are even alive right now...you better watch out :S
someone will track your i.p one day and poof :)

anyway can the rational and knowledgeable posters start giving me some feedback :)

aimr75
01-11-2010, 05:54 PM
aimr75,

well I'm new so for future reference I'll be sure to ignore them :P
and while you're here, do you have any *useful* :P comments?

you should probably try put up a vid where youre putting in more effort to get a better indicator of how you play.. for example, with the serve, do you typically not use your legs much? if not, then you should look into this

im not one to dish out alot of advice here since there is so much i need to work on myself, and im not a coach..

If you get guys like Bungalo Bill or SystemicAnomaly chiming in, then pay attention

why_so_curious93
01-11-2010, 05:56 PM
you should probably try put up a vid where youre putting in more effort to get a better indicator of how you play.. for example, with the serve, do you typically not use your legs much? if not, then you should look into this

im not one to dish out alot of advice here since there is so much i need to work on myself, and im not a coach..

If you get guys like Bungalo Bill or SystemicAnomaly chiming in, then pay attention

haha yes I've been notified of their G.O.A.Tness is it? :P
and no just they were random serves here and there during the practice to test out the shoulder :S...didnt go so well either.

Anyhow,

Yes next time, I may just not include any serves because I can't hit them at anywhere near full capacity yet, but I would put max effort!

thanks anyway :)

dugger5688
01-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Your upper body and hips know what they're doing for the FH, but the movement and legs look very confused. The same on the BH. Just HIT HIT HIT!! And I'm sure you'll be good.

That guy up there doesn't know what he's talking about. You don't need more "Zip" at that age, you need consistency and shot selection.

Just read your "don't say move your feet post", I have to tell you though that it is USELESS to practice like that. U-S-E-L-E-S-S!!!!!1!!!one! Those strokes are technically very sound and if you're not practicing movement every shot you're moving backward in your development. Maybe let your forehand fly around your body more, don't use any muscle to slow it down at your follow through, you're muscles will do it automatically.

DevilsChildXD
08-16-2010, 12:37 AM
You seem like a 3.0 in the vid but your prob better when you try

Nellie
08-16-2010, 06:30 AM
You need knee bend and to be up on your toes! Too much flat-footed bending at the waste equals too much lunging at balls and too much arming of the ball, and that equals arm problems.

By the way, the two handed backhand form is really good. good extension.

onehandbh
08-16-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm waiting for the day that someone posts a video with the
following disclaimer:

This video is an edited compilation of my best shots.
My footwork is normally much worse and I am a much
worse player than what the video represents. I also used
camera angles and edits to make me appear better than I
actually am.

dsa202
08-20-2010, 02:21 PM
No, you hit GOOD.
I"m not saying you don't.
But really hard to comment on vids when there's so many variables.
Some people say I should post of vid of myself. I'd like to, but don't have the technology. But still, a 17 months old sprained left ankle (me lefty), a tendon left wrist problem, 61 years old, just healed torn right meniscus, just don't make it worth viding.......:confused:

It's not worth it...