PDA

View Full Version : running miles

itracbui3
01-11-2010, 05:56 PM
when you are running miles, do you keep your breathing short and quick or slow and long? because when i run, i do a 1/2 count breath in 1 and breath out 2 and it seems like i get alot of cramps while running

jswinf
01-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm no expert, but I think experts would say breathe when you need to breathe and don't worry too much about it. The more you get used to running a given number of miles, the more your breathing will be slower and longer while running.

chess9
01-12-2010, 03:49 AM
Don't think about breathing. If you are, you aren't running hard enough. ;)

Besides, you shouldn't be able to breathe while throwing up. ;)

And that breathing thing is soooo over-rated.

-Robert

armsty
01-12-2010, 04:01 AM
Kilometers is where it's at.

ScoopsHaaganDazs
01-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Don't breathe so quickly that you get cramps. Do what you feel is natural. I found out that I inhale twice, then exhale twice. The first one is short, while the second one is longer. I don't know why, but thats just how I breathe while running.

Funbun
01-13-2010, 07:39 PM
It depends on the intensity of the workout. Just do what's natural. If you can't handle a tough workout, build your base first with long but light aerobic runs. You can do mile repeats or tempos when you think you have a bigger base.

However, if you do happen to care about how you breathing rate during something a grueling workout, it's fine if you breath fast on track sprints and/or repeats.

If you get very terrible cramps, I recommend you stop running and just walk a bit. Let it subside, then keep running if you feel better. Don't stop yourself from achieving your running mileage because of a cramp. I recommend you also pay close attention to your posture. If you have poor posture, you limit your maximum oxygen intake, which tends to induce cramps. Run tall, yet relaxed.

Also, don't eat or drink too much before a run; the same advice obviously applies to eating/drinking too much before a tennis match, too. Just take a couple sips of water before running.

Trainer
01-14-2010, 04:17 AM
I actually do think about my breathing.

I mix up my runs with intervals kind-of. 4-5 miles mixed with 3-4 50 yard "sprints" per mile. Maybe not real sprint, but a big increase in pace.

I tend to load up for these. 10 seconds or so before, I'll increase my breathing and and maintain a higher rate throughout the push.

Then I'll back off and keep the high rate for 10 seconds or so, then slow down my breathing while I recover for the next one.

When I am running a steady jog though, my breathing tends to fall in line with my cadence. I don't really think about it, but it just seems to do so naturally.

sman789
01-14-2010, 04:32 PM
I've read to breathe in for 3 steps and breathe out for two. So you're exhaling on alternative feet. This is a easy rhythm to keep and keep you from short breaths, which has caused me cramps too. Whenever you're in overdrive mode, you can switch it to 2 steps in, 1 step breathe out. I try to keep this up no matter what speed i'm jogging/running at.

albino smurf
01-15-2010, 11:01 AM
The double breathing technique does not sound like a good idea. Try to get as close to circular breathing as possible.