PDA

View Full Version : Babolat's return policy advice needed SYSOP?

drop shot
04-24-2005, 03:30 PM
I bought a Babolat PD OS 2 weeks ago and played with it 4 times. Last week I noticed that there was a tiny hairline fracture at the 9 o'clock position. I showed it to several people including a pro. Half said that they thought it was only a crack in the paint and the other half said that they thought it was something more. I played with it 2 more times since then and the crack has grown in size and is noticeably different in shape. The pro that I spoke with told me that I wouldn't have any luck returning a racquet to Babolat because they always refuse racquet returns and blame any breaks or cracks on "racquet abuse" He says that this has happened on every racquet he has sent back to them. He feels very certain that they do this in all cases regardless of what actually happened. I spent $150.00 for the racquet and never "abused" it in any way. I don't throw or drop my racquets and I never bang the racquet on the netcord. Does anyone her have any experience with returning a racquet to Babolat? If I spend $150.00 on a racquet and take good care of it, there is no reason why they should not replace it. The racquet has had Wilson head tape on it since it was purchased and has nothing other than a few tiny scratches.

POGO
04-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Unfortunetly, you are pretty much stuck with it. The only way Babolat or any tennis manufacturer to consider a defect is to complain about the crack is a few days after you had purchased it and have not strung and played with it and also sitll have the wrappers on the handle. Other than that, you are stuck with it. It is pretty hard to convience once you have strung and played with the racquet.

Thomas
04-24-2005, 03:42 PM
That's too bad man. I had a Head that broke on the handle and they replaced it no questions. I switched to Wilson though, because my Heads kept breaking for no reason.

gmlasam
04-24-2005, 04:32 PM
dropshot,

does your crack look anything like these pics in this thread here? click here (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=48869&highlight=cracked+frame)

6-0 6-0
04-25-2005, 06:51 AM
I don't know about Babolat, but Prince is excellent when it comes to replacing cracked rackets. I can't imagine that Babolat would not see this in their best interest to replace the cracked frame. They can tell if it is a defect or whether or not the racket was abused. Does the racket come with any kind of warranty? Prince/Wilson both have a one year warranty against defects. This does not cover smashing it on the ground or wear over time.

gmlasam
04-25-2005, 07:04 AM
I don't know about Babolat, but Prince is excellent when it comes to replacing cracked rackets. I can't imagine that Babolat would not see this in their best interest to replace the cracked frame. They can tell if it is a defect or whether or not the racket was abused. Does the racket come with any kind of warranty? Prince/Wilson both have a one year warranty against defects. This does not cover smashing it on the ground or wear over time.

Do you send it back to Prince for an RMA or do you take it back to the place of purchase to have it repaired or replaced? My friend's hornet has a crack and it is under one year old. I think it would be pretty difficult to return it since it is a discontinued racquet.

drop shot
04-25-2005, 10:51 AM
To refuse to honor my return of a racquet that is less than a month old and has absolutely no signs of abuse is ludicrous. Especially when they have maybe 20 bucks in the frame and are selling them for at least $140.00-$179.00! The fact is... I bought a racquet and it was defective. I didn't cause the defect so why would they not want to replace it? I have had other frames that cracked during play and I took them back with NO hassle. Head was the best about honoring a return. To say that I am stuck with it is crazy. If Babolat refuses to replace an obviously defective frame then they have serious customer service issues or they may have gone to the Eagnas school of business. If worse comes to worse I'll just take a demo from the local pro shop and swap it with mine. I doubt that Babolat will argue with a retailer who has sold over 200 Babolats in the past year. If I spend $140.00 on a racquet I can reasonably expect that it should last longer than 3 weeks and 15 hours of use!

drop shot
04-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Yes the crack looks similar but it has started to expand

6-0 6-0
04-25-2005, 11:01 AM
My experience has been to send it back to the business that I bought it. As long as you have the original receipt most racket companies will honor the one year warranty even if it is a discontinued frame. For the most part they (the business you bought it from) will either give you another one of the discontinued rackets (if they have them still in stock) or they will credit your account for the amount that they you purchased the racket towards another frame. I would think that it would only be a matter of time before Babolat realized that they are losing customers if they do not back up their product.

Steve Huff
04-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Did you take it to an authorized Babolat dealer? I called Babolat about sending a racket back that belonged to one of the HS players. They said it had to go back to an authorized dealer--ANY authorized dealer. He did so and the racket was replaced. Maybe you didn't get it from an authorized dealer. I have to admit, I don't like having to go to a dealer to replace rackets. I've dealt with Wilson, Prince, Yonex and ProKennex. The are always helpful and have never turned down a racket that was broken during play for me.

drop shot
04-25-2005, 07:47 PM
I did return it to an authorized dealer. They had some babolat stickers and paperwork there (Not sure what it was) I have hope that they will replace it. The pro at another club was the one who advised that Babolat had a reputation bof not wanting to replace defective racquets.

ragnaROK
04-25-2005, 07:57 PM
That pro isn't making up stories, Babolat is horrible for replacing rackets with cracks in them. If you go through frames often, I would suggest picking a different company.