PDA

View Full Version : two-handed backhand return of serve

julian
01-12-2010, 08:04 AM
www.uspta.com

click uspta tip of a week

LeeD
01-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Well, you can make that argument for a two handed FOREHAND also, so the player returns serve with two hands on both sides.
So what about wide serves and reach? How about serves hit into your body, straight, fore, or backhand side?
As for the high ball over the shoulder, what about slice?
And can the returner step into the shot to take it lower?
What about standing back to take it lower?
I'll bet they could make a convincing argument to support the one handed backhand for return of serve, if they wanted to.

BU-Tennis
01-12-2010, 08:35 AM
^^^^I think you make some good points about a one-handed return but a few parts confused me a bit.
I don't really understand why you would want to step in or stand back to take a ball lower. Do you mean lower than your preferred hitting zone, or lower because of the natural bounce of the ball. Well i would say why would you want to make contact with a ball outside of your hitting zone and of course you can stand in or stand back to adjust for the height of the incoming ball.

I think the reach debate on the backhand return is really useless because most people, when stretched, will use a slice anyway because you can't get much power from a one-handed backhand if your stretching that much and you just can't reach it with a two handed backhand.

It just seems to me like a two-handed backhand, at least when still developing your game, is much more appropriate for returns. Most top players with a one-handed backhand use a slice or a simple block on harder hit serves so you can't really develop as much power as you would on a normal groundstroke.

LeeD
01-12-2010, 08:54 AM
I face serves that bounce well higher than my eyes, so I need to decide either to step forwards or back to lower the height of the ball into my strikezone. And they don't only serve to my backhands.
What's wrong with a hard low slice off the serve? It's very different from the normal high bouncing topspin groundie, so it should be effective.
Most 2HBH'ers, when returning really high balls, don't put all that much pace and spin into their shots. You can tell from the much abbreviated motions. Since a 1hbh slice is not all that much pace and spin, what's the diff?
I'm definetely NOT saying to hit either a 1hbh or a 2hbh.
I'm saying this is just one view, the 2hbh view, and a case could be made otherwise.