PDA

View Full Version : Hit the ball at the 6 o´clock or at the center on my groundstrokes?

MaratSafin_fan
01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
When I hit a groundstroke and drop my racket under the ball, should I rise the rackethead and hit at the 6 o´clock or should I rise my rackethead and after that hit at the center/middle of the ball?

What will be the consequence when I choose the wrong alternative to hit a groundstroke of thesee two?

THX for answers!

01-12-2010, 02:44 PM
would love to help, but don't get the question, sorry

aimr75
01-12-2010, 02:47 PM
do you mean, the racquet head points to the ground (6 o'clock) as you hit the ball versus pointing to the side fence?

Bagumbawalla
01-12-2010, 06:10 PM
I believe I understand your question- and, if so, your basic concept is in error.

Experiment: Take a ball and hold it to the center of your string. Notice where the ball touches. Turn the ball all around. Turn the racket this way and that. Do you see it?

Basically, there is no place that you can hit the ball- any ball- except in the middle (in relationship to the plane of the racket).

It is the path that your racket takes as you are hitting that spot that gives you spin (or lack of it) and helps you control the ball.

papa
01-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Yeah, its the path of the racquet and for most, I would buy into what Bagumbawalla said. However, at certain levels this isn't quite right or maybe I am misunderstanding what he means by "middle".

SystemicAnomaly
01-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Guess we are still trying to figure out what the OP intended here. One possibility is that (s)he is asking ifn the racket face should be open or neutral on a groundie. Answer: open for lobs, drop shots and underspin shots. Fairly neutral for most groundstrokes -- can be slight open to slightly closed.

More likely that the question is whether the ball should be hit square (directly into the back of the ball) or if (s)he should brush up from low (6'oclock) to high (12 o'clock). Is this your question?

user92626
01-13-2010, 09:36 PM
The OP probably just came off the page where some author said to hit off-center of the racket face, ie use the lower part, 6oclock, of the racket.

IMO, just try your best to hit the ball at your racket's sweetspot and move on.