PDA

View Full Version : How to register your own team

Yehan
01-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi Everyone,
For the past 3 years I have gone with a local tennis association to register for the USTA adult and twilight leagues. This year I want to start my own organization (mostly because I felt like I we were not getting enough return from $30 membership to the local association).
So my question is where do I start?
Do I contact the local USTA coordinator. How much does it cost to register with USTA?
I looked around in tennis link, but haven't found what I'm looking for.
Here's what I used to pay last year (per player)
USTA Membership $40
USTA adult league fee $47 (includes court fee $7/hr, public courts)
Local Association Fee $30
We buy our own balls.
Thanks in advance

JoelDali
01-12-2010, 01:12 PM
...you gotta know people...its a clique you have to figure out how to enter.

Theres no easy way for just anyone off the street to start a team from what I've learned. but perhaps its different in different areas.

Yehan
01-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Maybe I was not clear. I am a team Captain, has been for the last few years. I have the required number of players. It's just I want to start my own organization and not have to go through a club or a local organization.

JoelDali
01-13-2010, 09:48 AM
My captain (O Captain) is not affiliated with any club. Hes just a man with a cachet of Chinese Prostaffs off the streets and he runs 5+ teams.

Sounds like you need to talk to your area coordinator. Its not a requirement at all to be affiliated with a club in my region.

86golf
01-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Are you referring to a USTA league?
Just go to this link: https://tennislink.usta.com/leagues/TLRegistration/onlineTeamReg1.asp

Pick your section and the courts that you will use and pay your fee. This is how it works in NC, not sure about your location.

Cindysphinx
01-13-2010, 01:57 PM
You mean you want to start your own team (you have players and balls), but you don't want to join USTA, use Tennislink, or pay any local club or association fees?

Sounds tough.

Where would you find other teams to play you, and how would you handle scheduling and courts? This would be almost impossible in our area, as getting indoor court time would be difficult and outdoor courts cannot be reserved. Plus, most everyone who is interested in team tennis already plays in various leagues and would have no interest in joining a league with no track record.

86golf
01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
You mean you want to start your own team (you have players and balls), but you don't want to join USTA, use Tennislink, or pay any local club or association fees?

Sounds tough.

Where would you find other teams to play you, and how would you handle scheduling and courts? This would be almost impossible in our area, as getting indoor court time would be difficult and outdoor courts cannot be reserved. Plus, most everyone who is interested in team tennis already plays in various leagues and would have no interest in joining a league with no track record.

I think he is trying to play USTA league but avoid the local association (fees). Here in NC, you don't have to join the local association to play USTA league tennis. The OP needs to clarify a bit what exactly he is trying to do.

Yehan
01-14-2010, 07:24 AM
I think he is trying to play USTA league but avoid the local association (fees). Here in NC, you don't have to join the local association to play USTA league tennis. The OP needs to clarify a bit what exactly he is trying to do.

Yes this is correct. I know I have to join USTA to play the league, so that's a given. But the association fee is what I'm trying to avoid.

Yehan
01-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Are you referring to a USTA league?
Just go to this link: https://tennislink.usta.com/leagues/...neTeamReg1.asp

Pick your section and the courts that you will use and pay your fee. This is how it works in NC, not sure about your location.
I did this, but my league COLORAdo is not an option.