PDA

View Full Version : generating game plan and mentally preparing for match days before

monkeyisland90
01-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Do anyone of you generate game plans or mentally prepare for match days before (like visualization, breathing etc..) so you kind of feel like what to expect? Or do you just do your daily life and show up at the court and spontaneously play.... Sometimes i would prepare days before and it actually helps on game day.. .While other times excessively thinking about it or just worrying too much makes it a disaster... I guess it's the proper of way of doing that matters.... but it's hard not to worry as the what if's are to powerful....

but I had times where visualizing and meditating on some matches that haven't started really helped and made it much enjoyable also..

Ripper014
01-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Ripper's game plan prior to stepping on the court...

BALL............. STICK..............

monkeyisland90
01-12-2010, 01:37 PM
i would love to have a simple game plan always but i can get too technicall and just screw up everything by overthinking or trying to hard... i think for spontaneous playing is best cause you just free flowing.... had more sucess this way but sometimes you do need game plan or your just doing unecessary work... problem is theres players that you don't know that always come your way (different style of playing) so if that's the case i just try to find out out to relax and just focus on ball and hopefully have fun...

Ripper014
01-12-2010, 01:43 PM
My game plan begins with me playing to my strengths... if that is not working then I adjust them in the match. I am going to play what is natural and what I feel most comfortable with on that given day... my opponent is going to have to convince me to change what I do best.

There is no reason to make things difficult... keep it simple...

monkeyisland90
01-12-2010, 02:00 PM
I am going to play what is natural and what I feel most comfortable with on that given day... my opponent is going to have to convince me to change what I do best.

I like that approach.. it's like if you feel you have game plan but don't feel comfortable with it then don't do it...

problem is i'm usually a nervous wreck so i got to feel comfortable first :)

UnforcedError
01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
This is tennis not chess. Tactical or strategic planning can help slightly when playing a person very close to your ability but really it just comes down to execution. Get a good night sleep before your match. I like winning as much as anyone but if you spend days ahead of time getting emotionally attached to a result the losses are going to kill you. Are you the same person that posted a message about finding it hard to find opponents and you maybe it was because you were too intense? If that was you I really think you need to relax a little, live in the moment and enjoy competing and don't overly stress out about the results

Ripper014
01-12-2010, 02:05 PM
I am going to play what is natural and what I feel most comfortable with on that given day... my opponent is going to have to convince me to change what I do best.

I like that approach.. it's like if you feel you have game plan but don't feel comfortable with it then don't do it...

problem is i'm usually a nervous wreck so i got to feel comfortable first :)

For you experience is the key... you will always have some butterflies... but as you play more it will all become old hat. I remember recently I was invited to play with a mens group... and I remember getting that edgy feeling I used to get prior to a tournament match. I commented on it to the person that had invited me... it was interesting I would feel that way, but after a few minutes on the court I was fine.

Like anything in life... once you know what to expect you will be less nervous and comfortable with your surroundings.