PDA

View Full Version : Pushers

monkeyisland90
01-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Ok, i used to HATE pushers cause i felt the following. There cheap, sly, and somehow works the game in there favor and always LOSE to them. I also felt they had no skill and looked very UGLY.

After play lot of tennis I now consider them highly and see them as good player.
I see that whoever can hold attention and focus for that long of rally is diciplined, gets the job done and is actually having quite fun and are mentally tough.

And I realize that it's my poor technique and personal frustration that leads to my own destruction.. Good players usually well know what to do but 3.5 to 4.5 level do have hard time...

Anyone else have a change of heart? Even though frustation happens of losing to pushers you kind of see that they outplayed, outsmarted you and see them differently?

LeeD
01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Pushers can beat anyone else in the tennis world but ME.
Me, I'd rather lose to a big hitting fast moving, powerful player who becomes top 50 in the Men's tour within a couple years.
Reality bites, I lost to TomBrown, a pure pusher in my best playing days. Worst, he was almost 60, and I was 35 years younger.
My old tennis bud, a self confessed pusher (but #1 NorCal 4.0) gives me a stinking hard time, but I haven't lost a set to him in over 25.....yet.

TennisKid1
01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
I used to be dumbfounded on how they were consistently pummeling me time after time, but eventually i began working on my consistency which lead to more powerful angles which lead to me being able to finish at the net against them

JRstriker12
01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Ok, i used to HATE pushers cause i felt the following. There cheap, sly, and somehow works the game in there favor and always LOSE to them. I also felt they had no skill and looked very UGLY.

After play lot of tennis I now consider them highly and see them as good player.
I see that whoever can hold attention and focus for that long of rally is diciplined, gets the job done and is actually having quite fun and are mentally tough.

And I realize that it's my poor technique and personal frustration that leads to my own destruction.. Good players usually well know what to do but 3.5 to 4.5 level do have hard time...

Anyone else have a change of heart? Even though frustation happens of losing to pushers you kind of see that they outplayed, outsmarted you and see them differently?

Congrats, you have made the first move in having the right attitude to crush pushers.

Steady Eddy
01-12-2010, 02:44 PM
I used to be dumbfounded on how they were consistently pummeling me time after time, but eventually i began working on my consistency which lead to more powerful angles which lead to me being able to finish at the net against themYeah, it can work to go to the net, but an even easier way to beat a pusher is to put them at the net. Pushers are no threat at the net. If they were, then they'd go up there to win the point quickly , instead of having to hit another dozen shots.

apor
01-12-2010, 02:46 PM
The better you get, the more you realize how much you suck. Somewhere along the way, you realize how and why pushers/dinkers beat you. Soon after that, you get enough weapons in your arsenal to beat them (hopefully).

If the guys you are playing are dinkers- no-pace center of the court hitters, try attacking the net. Of course you should have practiced your volleys and overheads so that when you're up there, you have chance at winning the point. This advice is given out here all the time, and when it came time for me to try, it worked like a charm.

plumcrazy
01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, it can work to go to the net, but an even easier way to beat a pusher is to put them at the net. Pushers are no threat at the net. If they were, then they'd go up there to win the point quickly , instead of having to hit another dozen shots.

This is what I do. Run them side to side or bring them into the net and as long as you can get a shot over the net (lob, passing shot, or right at them) they usually can't do anything.

Blake0
01-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Pushers rely on the fact that most people under a certain level can't put away balls or play consistently. A lot of players at the level are very impatient and like to go for too much too often. Not being able to handle having no pace, is also a plus for them.

You really need to learn how to construct points in a way so you can win more points then you could lose. Try using some patterns to openning up the court, approaching the net, bringing them up to net, etc. Use your strengths, i.e don't go up to the net if you can't put away balls at net. If you rally with them at net, it'll be easier for them to win the point. Either learn to put away balls at net, or try something else.

Heres a couple ways to beat pushers.
1. Go to net.
2. Move them around the court, hit a deep ball, drop shot, lob, etc.
3. Hit consistently.
4. Serve and volley.
5. Hit consistently, and rip the sitter balls whenever you can get one.

lancernrg
01-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Look kid, pushing is essential if you want to win in tennis. If you don't the ability to adapt
to this form then you don't deserve your place in this sport.

...go pick up Curling or Badminton.

monkeyisland90
01-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Look kid, pushing is essential if you want to win in tennis. If you don't the ability to adapt

I see you haven't read my complete post and only read the part where i said i hate pushers.. im guessing you are a pusher and got offended... i actually have respect for them which is what i posted at the end ... so you should read the post before posting something that isn't needed..

Manus Domini
01-12-2010, 05:20 PM

pushing isn't essential, rallying is ;)