PDA

View Full Version : My Video :) - Comments Appreciated

why_so_curious93
01-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Hey everyone,

This is just like the last thread I posted about my video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zqPDkhiuF0

I am just making it again because I have a feeling everyone lost interest when Lancerng started joking around and posting random stuff on the thread.

So if anyone has any comments on how I can improve, I would greatly appreciate it

P.S Don't comment about moving my feet (self-explanatory - name of video :) )
and also I have not included many serves because I am recovering from RC/biceps tendinitis, so....basically all there is are forehands and backhands.

I'll post a new one very soon!

But for the mean time I would really appreciate it if you could all help me improve my game! :)

Cheers,

35ft6
01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Strokes look more or less fine. I know you say you're tired and don't comment on the footwork, but still, you look a bit clumsy.

Play some tournaments, see how you do.

why_so_curious93
01-12-2010, 03:27 PM
idk if clumsy would be the right choice of word... I think lazy describes me pretty well in that vid :)

skyzoo
01-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Clumsy is the perfect word

dwhiteside
01-12-2010, 04:35 PM
when you practice, go all out, if you don't you just cement bad habits into your muscle memory. practice is anti-practice if you play the wrong way. playing tennis lazily and sluggishly is not the same as playing tennis properly and efficiently, so if your ultimate goal is to be a tournament level player at tennis you need to give 110% everytime you are out there, especially when you're making a video for critique.

dwhiteside
01-12-2010, 04:39 PM
i mean your strokes look as fine as they can be with your minimal preparation and knee bend and torso rotation... if you really want some helpful tips record a video of you going all out (with as much energy and enthusiasm as you can) and segment it into forehand/backhand/volly/point play

tennisnerd
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
hahahahaaha i know you!
guess who?

Heroesque
01-12-2010, 04:52 PM
hahahahaaha i know you!
guess who?

It would be smart to mention which user you are talking to..

tennisnerd
01-12-2010, 04:57 PM
obviously the op,
and im talking to him on msn
he knows who i am its a joke

35ft6
01-12-2010, 05:38 PM
idk if clumsy would be the right choice of word... I think lazy describes me pretty well in that vid :)Okay, maybe clumsy is too much, but not sure if lazy applies either. You hop around a lot, which is good, but it almost looks like you're wasting energy, like you're hopping around too much. Maybe choppy is a better word? Not sure.

Again, your strokes are looking fine. Why not make a video of your backhand? From the 3 or 4 you actually left in, it looks shaky. Doesn't look like you hit through it firmly enough.

And like somebody says, bad practice habits have a way of finding their way into matches. I hit with people who don't really go after short balls, letting them bounce 2 times before they hit it and, not surprisingly, they struggle with short balls during live points.

I understand sometimes you just want to hit and not go crazy with the feet, but realize that every shot begins with the footwork. In essence, if you don't care about the footwork, you're just practicing warming up. As in you're practicing the warm up before a match when nobody moves or cares, so you'll get good at that. But you're NOT practicing the strokes you'll need against a good opponent if you find yourself making a distinction between (lazy) footwork and hitting the ball.

Which is what you're doing. You should put up a video of you not being lazy if you want useful responses.

mtommer
01-12-2010, 05:41 PM
I love the camera angle in the beginning. The net just looks HUGE to me with that perspective.

Taxvictim
01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Foot fault at 2:16.

why_so_curious93
01-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I love the camera angle in the beginning. The net just looks HUGE to me with that perspective.

haha I kinda see what you mean but yeah I like it too :P

And for clarification, you all can stop worrying! I don't usually play like that.
That was one day I happened to have access to a video camera and this video wasn't indented to be sent to colleges or to be critiqued (at first)

The only reason I'm not forcing is that my opponent had just came back from a grueling practice from his club so he was tired and I have been out for the last 4 months with a shoulder injury so...yeah

And to the user who mentioned something about hoping ( I see what you mean :) ) i'll try to fix that!!

35ft6
01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Another person asks for feedback and suggestions after issuing a disclaimer which they subsequently reiterate and expand upon. :) This place is so predictable.

Handy list of disclaimers for people to cut and paste:

- Hey guys, I'm just coming back from a 6 year long injury...
- Hey guys, I just started playing 6 months ago...
- Hey guys, this was shot after I ran a marathon and underwent chemo so I'm pretty tired but...

why_so_curious93
01-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Why not make a video of your backhand? From the 3 or 4 you actually left in, it looks shaky. Doesn't look like you hit through it firmly enough.

Well idk if I mentioned it, maybe in the other thread but I was a 1hander before and it was SOLID compared to my 2hander. I'm forced to hit with a 2hander cuz of the added pressure the 1h puts on the shoulder. So I'm stuck with this for the rest of my rehab period. You have any tips on making it more solid? :)

Tina
01-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Nice Video and You are looking really good!

tennisnerd
01-12-2010, 06:38 PM
his one hander is so sick, his two hander is just new to him because of the shoulder injury, which caused complications. hes playing well. his footwork isnt usually like that, so no worries.good 4.0 player, hard worker. he truely represents what tennis is all about.

Panic492
01-12-2010, 06:57 PM
I think I only saw 3-4 backhands and all were slices that I remember. Seems like you were avoiding hitting the BH?

TennisCoachFLA
01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
I am not trying to offend, but you asked for feedback on "how I can improve". For starters, that was a total waste of time for you. When you go into any practice either do it right or just go to lunch. EVERY practice should:

1. Be full intensity, if you are tired then forget it. Practice with the same exact intensity as you would play a match. If not you are better off taking a day off and coming back tomorrow.

2. Have a plan. What were you practicing that actually would happen in a match? Have you ever played a match were guys just hit lazy groundstrokes to each other? Of course not. The rallies last 3-7 strokes and they try to move each other all over.

3. Practice on the edge of your current abilities. Each practice should push the envelope just a tiny bit.

Once you have sound fundamentals on your strokes, and you do, then practicing like that is a total waste of your time. You will not improve one bit even if you practiced like that for 5 hours a day.

why_so_curious93
01-12-2010, 07:08 PM
I think I only saw 3-4 backhands and all were slices that I remember. Seems like you were avoiding hitting the BH?

Why would I want to ingrain the 2hander more in my muscle memory if my goal is to go back to 1hander when my injury is gone??

why_so_curious93
01-12-2010, 07:11 PM
I am not trying to offend, but you asked for feedback on "how I can improve". For starters, that was a total waste of time for you. When you go into any practice either do it right or just go to lunch. EVERY practice should:

1. Be full intensity, if you are tired then forget it. Practice with the same exact intensity as you would play a match. If not you are better off taking a day off and coming back tomorrow.

2. Have a plan. What were you practicing that actually would happen in a match? Have you ever played a match were guys just hit lazy groundstrokes to each other? Of course not. The rallies last 3-7 strokes and they try to move each other all over.

3. Practice on the edge of your current abilities. Each practice should push the envelope just a tiny bit.

Once you have sound fundamentals on your strokes, and you do, then practicing like that is a total waste of your time. You will not improve one bit even if you practiced like that for 5 hours a day.

I agree with every word you said. You just have to understand where I'm coming from though. 4 months of tennis, playing once every two weeks tops to avoid re-injury, I don't see the point in going all out if its only going to lead to more shoulder problems.
and as my friend posted above, I don't normally play like that, I was just asking in terms of technique how I could improve (not in terms of effort) like he also stated I work my *** off.

Wait for my next vid :)

why_so_curious93
01-12-2010, 07:11 PM
off of****

PumpProbe
01-12-2010, 07:30 PM
OP, we will anxiously wait for you new video then. Because you ask for tips to improve your game, yet you post a video in which doesn't represent how you truly play. On top of that, you have an injury which prohibits the use of your serve and normal backhand which leaves us with only the lazy forehands which you don't normally do. Furthermore asked us not to comment on the footwork... :confused:

why_so_curious93
01-12-2010, 07:32 PM
OP, we will anxiously wait for you new video then. Because you ask for tips to improve your game, yet you post a video in which doesn't represent how you truly play. On top of that, you have an injury which prohibits the use of your serve and normal backhand which leaves us with only the lazy forehands which you don't normally do. Furthermore asked us not to comment on the footwork... :confused:

You're absolutely right!! I'm sorry for wasting your time guys :S
I wasn't planning on posting this, just thought, what the heck, couldn't hurt...

Well I hope you enjoyed the cool transitions and music at least :P

Sorry again! :)

why_so_curious93
01-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Another person asks for feedback and suggestions after issuing a disclaimer which they subsequently reiterate and expand upon. :) This place is so predictable.

Handy list of disclaimers for people to cut and paste:

- Hey guys, I'm just coming back from a 6 year long injury...
- Hey guys, I just started playing 6 months ago...
- Hey guys, this was shot after I ran a marathon and underwent chemo so I'm pretty tired but...

yes, but how many ppl here have someone else who can vouch for their integrity and can confirm it? :)

Again sorry for wasting your time...
I'll post a video when I'm 100%, which will hopefully be soon :)

35ft6
01-13-2010, 12:46 AM
^ No worries, dude. Thanks for being a good sport. You're sort of taking arguably unwarranted abuse because so many other people post videos, ask for advice, then give tons of excuses for every suggestion responders give.

One suggestion, and I'm being serious, if you're planning on going back to a one hander then just work on the slice. Don't hit any two handers. Why bother? You say you don't want it to become part of your muscle memory or whatever anyways. Your slice looked like a "keep me in the point" kind of shot. Maybe hit through it more, carving through it in a big bowl motion, make the left arm go/spread back in mirror image of your racket hand, and really try to make it nastier.

CHOcobo
01-13-2010, 08:45 PM
the first music goes well with that game pace.

drake
01-13-2010, 10:18 PM
The main reason you seem awkward/lazy (off balance and lunging for shots) is the lack of split steps when your partner hits and to be fair anyone that practices without SS will look lazy even Federer. I know because I've seen myself do this many times on video.

EikelBeiter
01-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Right, so that is you hitting with tennisnerd, who you apparently don't even like according to your comments in his "vid of 5.0 hitting" thread:

K I know tennis nerd personally and I can certify that his rankings and his results are correct. I've seen him play and have played against him on occassion and he has massive ground strokes when he wants to. That vid simply does not do him justice whatsoever. When you play him, it seems like a 6.0 is on the court sometimes. I find his BH to be the best part of his game. He hits that mostly flat, but with so much power OMG! His forehand has just been massively altered (significant grip change). His serve is quite odd, but once you see how fast that ball is going...damn...

And this is a guy I despise!!!!! And I'm praising him like this! That means a lot! lol
And looking back, I don't see him asking for a NTRP rating.

Like the forum suggests he wanted tips and instruction to get better.
How about y'all get back to that :)

Cheers,

I don't see 6.0 balls being hit to you to be honest.

Rob_C
01-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Didnt watch the whole video, but I liked the Kanye track. Might D/L it if its not on the last Kanye album I bought, which was Graduation.

why_so_curious93
01-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Right, so that is you hitting with tennisnerd, who you apparently don't even like according to your comments in his "vid of 5.0 hitting" thread:

I don't see 6.0 balls being hit to you to be honest.

haha, you thought you seemed smart there but no. Good observation but we go to the same club and the camera that belongs to the club is always used by different ppl. And from where that camera is, is the audience seating area which is perfect for shooting so...yeah. I hate him cuz he goes to my club and we have never gotten along well.

Sorry for bursting your bubble :)