PDA

View Full Version : American Twist Serve and Volleys

LightningZI
01-12-2010, 05:34 PM
What are some tips on hitting the American Twist or the Reverse Twist as I think it's called, I know there's a huge body drop then you come up fast to a weird angle and it does hurt your shoulder.. This serve goes right when bouncing unlike a normal kick going left right?

Also, what are some tips on volleying. I currently use the Continental grip but when I hit my first volley (Usually from service box) If the ball comes towards me I get double-minded, not knowing whether to use forehand or backhand volleys and the shot goes into the net. I don't really want to be switching grips at the net so much from EFH to EBH because of the fast action at the net but any tips are welcome..

Thanks

Zachol82
01-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Also, what are some tips on volleying. I currently use the Continental grip but when I hit my first volley (Usually from service box) If the ball comes towards me I get double-minded, not knowing whether to use forehand or backhand volleys and the shot goes into the net. I don't really want to be switching grips at the net so much from EFH to EBH because of the fast action at the net but any tips are welcome..

Thanks

Good volleys consist of pushing your shots instead of taking a full swing at it. Make sure you step into each shot, it gives your volleys a lot of power and depth.

As for getting "double-minded," well...more practice. However, it is USUALLY easier to volley with your backhand when a shot is coming straight at your body. This is because you can extend your arm and make contact with the ball in front of your body for a backhand, whereas a forehand would take a lot more time to get in front of your body.

Manus Domini
01-12-2010, 05:46 PM
read here ;)

has a lot of tips for the twist

for volleys, decide with which side you'll hit it as soon as you can, don't hesitate. and don't change grips, that will mess you up. and keep your arm in a "U" shape if you can, gives more control

Manus Domini
01-12-2010, 05:46 PM
forgot link :oops:

and no edit button :(

here (http://tennis.about.com/od/serve/l/aatwistserve.htm) :)

Zachol82
01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Of the two kick serves, the twist is the harder to return, because its sidespin makes it curve to the receiver's right in the air and then jump to his left on the bounce. Even experienced players often have trouble accurately anticipating where this combination of curves will ultimately put the ball.

If a right-handed player hits a twist serve, the ball will curve to the opponent's right, yes. However, it doesn't jump to the opponent's left on the bounce. How would a ball with counter-clockwise spin(from left to right) be bouncing to the receiver's left?

Edit: I'm sorry I was thinking of the slice serve. I have actually never seen anyone perform a twist serve before. Must be pretty crazy if it curves to the opponent's right then bounce to his left.

Edit Edit: Ok, so I found a video on YouTube explaining the Twist Serve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK03Hcznht0
That's pretty cool, it DID curve to the opponent's right and bounced to the opponent's left a little bit, I was thinking of a more extreme bounce to the left. Still, it is definitely different from the kick serve and the slice serve. Good to know!

mucat
01-12-2010, 08:48 PM
If a right-handed player hits a twist serve, the ball will curve to the opponent's right, yes. However, it doesn't jump to the opponent's left on the bounce. How would a ball with counter-clockwise spin(from left to right) be bouncing to the receiver's left?

Edit: I'm sorry I was thinking of the slice serve. I have actually never seen anyone perform a twist serve before. Must be pretty crazy if it curves to the opponent's right then bounce to his left.

Edit Edit: Ok, so I found a video on YouTube explaining the Twist Serve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK03Hcznht0
That's pretty cool, it DID curve to the opponent's right and bounced to the opponent's left a little bit, I was thinking of a more extreme bounce to the left. Still, it is definitely different from the kick serve and the slice serve. Good to know!

The infamous kick serve video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM1P2ej4YtY

The ball action is caused by spiral spin (z-axis).

Zachol82
01-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Yah, I saw that kick serve. It was epic.

SystemicAnomaly
01-12-2010, 09:59 PM
The infamous kick serve video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM1P2ej4YtY

The ball action is caused by spiral spin (z-axis).

Clarification:

The (z-axis) spiral spin will cause the ball to bounce to the right (if CW spiral) or to the left (for CCW spiral). However, this type of spin does does cause the curve in the ball's trajectory while in flight prior to the bounce. It is the vertical-axis sidespin that cause to the ball to curve right (or left) while in flight. However, this type of spin does not contribute to the side bounce of the ball at all.

Zachol82
01-12-2010, 10:01 PM
So a twist serve is practically a kick serve, except it bounces to the side a little bit? Maybe it doesn't have as much "kick" as a kick serve?

mucat
01-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Clarification:

The (z-axis) spiral spin will cause the ball to bounce to the right (if CW spiral) or to the left (for CCW spiral). However, this type of spin does does cause the curve in the ball's trajectory while in flight prior to the bounce. It is the vertical-axis sidespin that cause to the ball to curve right (or left) while in flight. However, this type of spin does not contribute to the side bounce of the ball at all.

That's a good explanation. That explains why sometimes I got no noticeable curve in the air but got freaky sideward bounce. It was almost like a slow flat serve that bounce sideway. Of course, I can never reproduce it in game situation...

SystemicAnomaly
01-12-2010, 10:21 PM
So a twist serve is practically a kick serve, except it bounces to the side a little bit? Maybe it doesn't have as much "kick" as a kick serve?

No, a twist serve is a kick serve -- a specific type of kick serve. Kick serves can be one of two (or three) types. I'll usually categorize kick serves as "topspin" kicks or "twist" kicks. I believe that the 3rd category that some people use might be the topspin-slice kick serve. In the twist kick version, the z-axis component is strong. In the topspin lick serve, the z-axis component is mild.

The twist serve in the Federer link (above) has a ton of kick to it as well as having a distinct side bounce action.

SystemicAnomaly
01-13-2010, 04:44 AM
That's a good explanation. That explains why sometimes I got no noticeable curve in the air but got freaky sideward bounce. It was almost like a slow flat serve that bounce sideway. Of course, I can never reproduce it in game situation...

This is a bit unusual. On most shots where spiral spin is imparted to the ball, a vertical-axis sidespin is also imparted. Because of (shoulder) anatomy & stroke mechanics, serves with spiral spin will pretty much also have a vertical-axis spin.

Framed shots sometimes also have a very strong spiral spin component, even when it may have moderate or very little sidespin. More often than not, though, shots will have spins about all three axes.

mucat
01-14-2010, 08:03 AM
This is a bit unusual. On most shots where spiral spin is imparted to the ball, a vertical-axis sidespin is also imparted. Because of (shoulder) anatomy & stroke mechanics, serves with spiral spin will pretty much also have a vertical-axis spin.

Framed shots sometimes also have a very strong spiral spin component, even when it may have moderate or very little sidespin. More often than not, though, shots will have spins about all three axes.

I use EBH grip I don't know if it will make a different. That usually happens if I toss the ball a bit more into the court like a flat serve. I would guess probably the ball took less time and displacement to touch the ground so the action is less noticeable or never had enough space to curve.