PDA

View Full Version : vid of 5.0 hitting, comment please

tennisnerd
01-12-2010, 08:12 PM
same vid as the other thread, but the other thread was more of a comparison to the vid from the summer..please analyze the vid below,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kynH3t-a4

ReopeningWed
01-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Looks pretty solid. What advice were you looking for specifically?

tennisnerd
01-12-2010, 09:59 PM
thanks,
just general comments if possible

KiNG
01-13-2010, 06:31 AM
I saw the clip. So you're looking for advice so you can become a 5.0 in the future am I right?

tennisnerd
01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
hahahaha no, i am a 5.0 obviously. are you a troll?

jrod
01-13-2010, 09:34 AM
hahahaha no, i am a 5.0 obviously. are you a troll?

You seem a little jumpy....on the court that is. When you are hitting the ball it appears as if you are coming out of the shot too early at times, head not still, etc. I don't know what kind of consistency of depth you are getting, but I suspect it's not as good as it could be.

I hate videos accompanied by a rating...most of the time the player looks nothing like the rating given. Your video is no exception.

tennisnerd
01-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I disagree completely. I don't see that at all, and it definately looks as if im 5.0, and my head isn't moving :S.

chanee
01-13-2010, 09:40 AM
5.0?? i say 4.0 to 4.5....

shazbot
01-13-2010, 09:41 AM
What are your match results like against other 5.0's and 5.5's?

EikelBeiter
01-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Your timing/footwork on your forehand is a bit off sometimes. You hit 2 or 3 forehands open stance where it would have been better to take an extra step and make it a close stance forehand. But your technique is there, keep it up.

jrod
01-13-2010, 09:46 AM
I disagree completely. I don't see that at all, and it definately looks as if im 5.0, and my head isn't moving :S.

You asked for comments...you can ignore them at your own peril. 2nd FH & 2nd BH...jumpy, head moving. Other stuff looks more stable but can't tell where your ball is landing, can tell pace or spin, cant tell $#!+ really.

From the video posted, I don't see a 5.0 player. I might be willing to go with 4.5, but I'd have to see you do more than dance around on the baseline.

chanee
01-13-2010, 09:48 AM
I saw the clip. So you're looking for advice so you can become a 5.0 in the future am I right?

I've seen 5.0's and he's not one of them. To add, we have yet to see results against 5.0's and i honestly see him getting spanked by one. He's around 4.5-4.0.

PumpProbe
01-13-2010, 10:12 AM
t-nerd, can you re-up the video with sound?

Jaewonnie
01-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Have to say your around 4.0-.5. Not 5.0 yet. Doesn't look consistent enough.

TnTBigman
01-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Reminds me of Hewitt. +1 on the jumpy finishing motion, but your strict on following ur technique so thats good.

smoothtennis
01-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Tennisnerd - very nice hitting and good form. I agree you are a little jumpy on the forehands (some, not all) but it's good stuff. Don't freak with little comments like that from others. Just take a mental note, and stay smooth with the shots in practice - you already know what you can do - it never hurts to work on being still and more balanced through the contact zone for anybody at any level.

I can see clearly that you are smoother and more still with your body and head on your backhands - which is a GOOD thing.

Nice footwork too.

ZPTennis
01-13-2010, 12:18 PM
same vid as the other thread, but the other thread was more of a comparison to the vid from the summer..please analyze the vid below,

Biggest thing that jumps out at me is the backhand at 37 seconds where you let your left foot come all the way around on the follow through. Other than that, everything else looks pretty decent. Wouldn't mind seeing some vids from the back of the court to see where all the shots are going.

monkeyisland90
01-13-2010, 01:16 PM
you can't really judge someone automatically by saying there below 5.0 by looking at a footage.. if someone's able to consistently do that in match they can go quite far... so if your matches show proof then by all means you are 5.0

tennisnerd
01-13-2010, 01:18 PM
This is hilarious, how some of you think I'm a 4.0 let alone 4.5..ok first of all I'm not wilsondude don't put false labels on me..second of all that video was a minute..you can't judge an ntrp based on a minute..that's why I asked for comments, not ratings..I know that I am a 5.0 f not a 5.5 because it has been confirmed by 4 national coaches, and I beat a 5.5 player, top 5 under 16 in Canada, 3,1. I'm not going to argue..so I will make a new video, that is much longer and shows me actually playing points, and then you can judge my game. You can't even see the tactics I'm using do you wouldn't know my rating, and I was playing with a 4.0 player so the shorter rallies are not my fault.

tennisnerd
01-13-2010, 01:52 PM
forgot to mention the most important part, the serve. my serve motion is really odd, but its the best part of my game. its really hard, i can place it well, mix it up with good variety, and it wins me a hell of a lot of free points. so who do you people think you are to give me a rating based on that one minute of footage? you didnt even see where the ball was going. igor andreevs forhand is ugly, yet hes a pro. il make a new video, but until then, you have no right to justify my rating.

ZPTennis
01-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Hey thats cool. Everything I noticed was footwork related
which can be improved upon.

13 seconds. Late preparation on backhand.
16 seconds. Too large of a step with your right foot.
38 seconds. Left foot swung completely around on backhand follow through.

look forward to video from the back court

tennisnerd
01-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Ya my brother and I share a youtube account smart one.

ZPTennis
01-13-2010, 02:10 PM
think my post was lost. V

Hey thats cool. Everything I noticed was footwork related
which can be improved upon.

13 seconds. Late preparation on backhand.
16 seconds. Too large of a step with your right foot.
38 seconds. Left foot swung completely around on backhand follow through.

look forward to video from the back court

tennisnerd
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
to be honest my footwork isnt usually like that. i know its probably a common response on these boards. i shall post a new video, proof that beavertroll wrong, and show ppl that im 5.0 at the very very least. this is honestly a joke to me. like stfu with these false ratings.

aimr75
01-13-2010, 02:26 PM
to be honest my footwork isnt usually like that. i know its probably a common response on these boards. i shall post a new video, proof that beavertroll wrong, and show ppl that im 5.0 at the very very least. this is honestly a joke to me. like stfu with these false ratings.

If you are a 5.0, does it matter what people on a forum really think? youve got bigger fish to fry playing competitively and winning at your level

jrod
01-13-2010, 02:38 PM
..you can't judge an ntrp based on a minute........ You can't even see the tactics I'm using do you wouldn't know my rating, and ....

Exactly. Lesson learned? Don't post a video with an NTRP rating unless you are mature enough to handle the fallout. Based on your responses so far, you have pretty thin skin. Hopefully that doesn't carry over to your match play because it speak volumes about your mental game's potential.

Looking forward to the video!

tennisnerd
01-13-2010, 02:49 PM
If you are a 5.0, does it matter what people on a forum really think? youve got bigger fish to fry playing competitively and winning at your level

agreed
10 char

why_so_curious93
01-13-2010, 02:51 PM
K I know tennis nerd personally and I can certify that his rankings and his results are correct. I've seen him play and have played against him on occassion and he has massive ground strokes when he wants to. That vid simply does not do him justice whatsoever. When you play him, it seems like a 6.0 is on the court sometimes. I find his BH to be the best part of his game. He hits that mostly flat, but with so much power OMG! His forehand has just been massively altered (significant grip change). His serve is quite odd, but once you see how fast that ball is going...damn...

And this is a guy I despise!!!!! And I'm praising him like this! That means a lot! lol
And looking back, I don't see him asking for a NTRP rating.

Like the forum suggests he wanted tips and instruction to get better.
How about y'all get back to that :)

Cheers,

blue12
01-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I couldn't say he's not a 5.0 based on that video. I'd like to see a back view to see what the ball is doing. Difficult to give any tips without a back view as well cause it's hard to judge if you are preparing well or not.

That being said i think you would benefit from getting your foot set sooner before you hit and through contact, especially on your backhand.

tennisnerd
01-13-2010, 03:02 PM
K I know tennis nerd personally and I can certify that his rankings and his results are correct. I\'ve seen him play and have played against him on occassion and he has massive ground strokes when he wants to. That vid simply does not do him justice whatsoever. When you play him, it seems like a 6.0 is on the court sometimes. I find his BH to be the best part of his game. He hits that mostly flat, but with so much power OMG! His forehand has just been massively altered (significant grip change). His serve is quite odd, but once you see how fast that ball is going...damn...

And this is a guy I despise!!!!! And I\'m praising him like this! That means a lot! lol
And looking back, I don\'t see him asking for a NTRP rating.

Like the forum suggests he wanted tips and instruction to get better.
How about y\'all get back to that :)

Cheers,

idk why you hate me :(
but thanks thats my point exactly

defrule
01-13-2010, 03:04 PM
I want to hear the loud bangs from indoors.

aimr75
01-13-2010, 03:18 PM
agreed
10 char

i mentioned that because this thread reminded me of a guy i strung a racquet for recently.. i never met the guy.. his coach whom i know just passed his racquet onto me to do.. he is going to be playing the Australian Open juniors tournament and his racquet was just an old radical with beat up tourna grip.. just made me think this guy is only concerned with playing and not with trivialities like justifying level of play.. granted this guy is at a very high level, but a 5.0 is better than most of the tennis playing population in the world.. they shouldnt really be concerned with things like this as far as i can see

arche3
01-13-2010, 05:00 PM
hey tennisnerd... your a bit short fused.

as far as your game. you dont look bad. you could be a 5.0 i guess if you won all the time. but your strokes dont look as developed as a typical div 1 college prospect. (i played div 1 ncaa in so cal in the 80's.) you jump a lot on the forehand. your body leaves the ground. which when playing players with pace and placement makes you miss more. most of the balls in the video were hit to you at a medium pace. so i dont think it challenged you too much. overall you look like a good player and it seems you can generate pace even off slower balls. your forehand just looks like it might break down due to the jerkeyness and lifting of the body.

Sumo
01-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Rating juniors is probably the most worthless thing in tennis.

Their complete lack of mental game could drop whatever rating they have by 2 pts on a bad day.

01-13-2010, 05:44 PM

I think your ball striking and strokes are outstanding. Really excellent. To give some feed back, I would suggest to work at having a more stable platform from the standpoint of balance. Yes, this is being quite picky to even say this, but you wanted some helpful feedback and this could help you to have even better shot control as well as better balance to start your recovery for the next shot.

Very nice looking strokes! Hope this is helpful.

tennistomcat
01-13-2010, 09:09 PM
nice strokes. definitely look like a good player tennisnerd. one thing i hate about tennis is sometimes you can't really tell how good someone is until you play them -- & even when you do, sometimes you still can't tell even when they beat you (were they holding back? playing full steam?) Some ppl have strokes & games that look awful & they end up destroying ppl and then you have some ppl with awesome strokes & perfect form & they are such headcases in matches that they can't pull a win for their life. I try not to guess ratings but you look like you've gotten some good training. nice strokes - like the clean striking on the bh side.

skyzoo
01-14-2010, 02:03 AM
So, You disagree with a criticism and get offended right away? I'm not sure where you got 5.0 from, but your reality would be more or less 4.0,4.5. You jump a lot on your forehand. stay down and loosen the stroke.

01-14-2010, 03:27 AM
Modern big hitters often lift during their strokes.

Spinz
01-14-2010, 04:00 AM
Modern big hitters often lift during their strokes.

They do - but what I don't see with this guy is any kind of real loading/energy build on his shots. On either side. That is what pushes "modern big hitters" off the ground. He needs to store up some energy in the legs and core and release it into the shots. I don't see this. I think he needs to get out a medicine ball and work on feeling the pull. And spend some time on some slower courts!!!

This guy can have a good game, but he's going to have to get that to truly go up in level. He also needs to understand that tennis is a hard sport because if you don't respect that, or your competition, you're in trouble.

Power Player
01-14-2010, 06:15 AM
This guy is lifting his left leg off the ground on his forehand. It is not a good idea, I used to do the same thing and it really causes inconsistency. If you keep your feet on the ground and step into the shot you will get a lot more power and clean hits. You can definitley jump when you hit balls like Djoker does, but his weight transfer is 100 times better then the guy in this vid.

Tennishacker
01-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Only guys that played Div.I tennis can be 5.0 and higher.
By watching your video, it seems that you took up the game later in your life.

tennisnerd
01-14-2010, 09:25 AM
I've been playing for 10 years..and omg I said stop rating. I don't need your false opinions based on a one minute video lmao..watch ivo karlovics groundstrokes with 9/10 of his backhands being slices, so it's not fair to rate based on a minute. I guarantee you I am 5.0 at the very least..as I mentioned several times I will take a better and longer video..and my forehand I'm usuallly on the ground, this was an exception. Il let my new video do the talking, so shut up for now.

MichaelChang
01-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Il let my new video do the talking, so shut up for now.

wow. how nice of you to come here ask for comments. hilarious.

blackfrido
01-14-2010, 10:02 AM
5.0?? i say 4.0 to 4.5....

maybe is a 0.5 player

jserve
01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Only guys that played Div.I tennis can be 5.0 and higher.
By watching your video, it seems that you took up the game later in your life.

Simply not even close to true. There are many Div II and Div III players that are easily 5.0+ players. There are also plenty of 5.0s that never played any form of college tennis, myself included.

Also, without seeing a video of matchplay its tough to give an accurate rating. I would assume 99% of posters would rate Fabrice Santoro as a weak 3.0 based on a stroke analysis, so don't expect accurate or positive feedback on these forums.

SuperDuy
01-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Alright tecnique. Can be better. At best 5.0 player who makes a account to compliment himself.

arche3
01-14-2010, 11:57 AM
I've been playing for 10 years..and omg I said stop rating. I don't need your false opinions based on a one minute video lmao..watch ivo karlovics groundstrokes with 9/10 of his backhands being slices, so it's not fair to rate based on a minute. I guarantee you I am 5.0 at the very least..as I mentioned several times I will take a better and longer video..and my forehand I'm usuallly on the ground, this was an exception. Il let my new video do the talking, so shut up for now.

You asked for comments on THIS video. So some of us did so. If you post another video and ask for comments then you will probably get comments on that. I think the whole posting videos of edited ground strokes is pretty stupid if you ask me. We don't see the balls you miss. We don't see how you played a game. And you are absolutely right some VERY VERY good players at the recreational and even college level look strange but they still manage to beat everyone. So whats the point? Were you expecting us to all say wow your a 5.0? LOL. Who cares? I watch the tennis channel and I can watch Federer vs. Nadal. Why do I want to watch you? Unless it is constructive pointers you are looking for then it is fine for this place. But if you do not like what you read don't get all defensive. Its just a game. Opinions are just that. Opinions. If you don't want it don't ask for it and stop posting videos of your tennis.

chanee
01-14-2010, 12:10 PM

Err... It's more the fact that you put "5.0 hitting" in the thread title which has irked a few people. From this vid, it's a joke even calling yourself 5.0. You seem to be very stuck up.

masterxfob
01-14-2010, 12:12 PM
i don't see how anyone could judge what level you are from that crappy video. you've got decent looking strokes, but for all we know, your shots could be landing inside the service line. thanks for posting a worthless video and then raging on all of us.

blackfrido
01-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Err... It's more the fact that you put "5.0 hitting" in the thread title which has irked a few people. From this vid, it's a joke even calling yourself 5.0. You seem to be very stuck up.

I insist, this guy is a 0.5 player. it's just a typo

darthpwner
01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Judging by his defensive reactions, tennisnerd's idol must be McEnroe. Similar temperaments:) JK, he probably is a very good player. But the vid doesnt show where the ball lands, so it is very hard to judge. He seriously needs to keep his cool though and stop acting like a jerk.

jserve
01-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Maybe I'm missing something that everyone else sees, but how can anyone possibly tell if he is not a 5.0 from this video. His strokes look fine, but without seeing where the ball goes its impossible to tell.

One of the biggest differences between a 4.5 and 5.0 player is the depth of an average groundstroke. A 4.5 player will leave a lot more balls shorter in the court than a 5.0, but there is no way to tell in this video.

I have definitely seen legit 5.0 players with much worse form than this, yet they are still very competitive at a 5.0 level. I think I am gonna go against the grain here and say that this kid is a 5.0 until I see something that would make me think otherwise.