PDA

View Full Version : In the Zone

monkeyisland90
01-13-2010, 01:31 PM
So i know peak performance is being in the zone where everything seems effortless, shots going in, and having fun.. and is amazing the potential of human mind... but seems being in this takes me quite awhile... or I end up grinding the whole match cause i never reached this in first place... Professionals get to this peak quickly which is why they are professionals and there's no easy answer to get to this state but wondering how often do you guys play "in the zone" or your peak... those are the memorable matches where you kind of strive for but is hard to achieve...

skiracer55
01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
So i know peak performance is being in the zone where everything seems effortless, shots going in, and having fun.. and is amazing the potential of human mind... but seems being in this takes me quite awhile... or I end up grinding the whole match cause i never reached this in first place... Professionals get to this peak quickly which is why they are professionals and there's no easy answer to get to this state but wondering how often do you guys play "in the zone" or your peak... those are the memorable matches where you kind of strive for but is hard to achieve...

...in Winning Ugly, Brad Gilbert said something to the effect that five days a year, you're in the zone, five days a year, you can't hit fat bull in the hind end with a shovel, and everything else in between is what makes you a tennis player. True of the ATP guys, too. Federer was having a really great season last year, and maybe just went a little flat, especially in the 5th set, against an inspired opponent, and wound up the runner up. At Wimbledon, he kind of went in the zone against another inspired opponent, again in the 5th set...and wound up the champion. So do all your physical conditioning, get your strokes wired, be match tough...and maybe five days out of the year, it'll happen to you, too...

LeeD
01-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Nope, professionals get into their ZONES about as often as we do.
What makes a good player good is not their best days, but the level of play during their WORST days.
I've talked to many Men's and Women's pros thru the years, and all still find that one special day maybe one in 100, or less often. All the other's, they have to play thru low biorythums, other thoughts, paying bills, travel alternatives, SO's leaving them, and all the hum drum distrations even WE lousy players have to face.
Level makes no difference, your best days are still your best days, meaning we need lots of bad days to realize what a BEST day can be.

tennis24
01-13-2010, 01:43 PM
pump yourself up before a match. listen to (remember the name-fort minor) and focus. Play out points in your head. Warm up a lot. Tell yourself that it is just a tournament and it doesn't matter if you lose as long as you go big. if you don;t go big, chances are you'll get all tentative and play like a 6 year old girl (no offense) keep going through the game with fist pumps and talking to yourself. GO BIG OR GO HOME! hope this helps:)

monkeyisland90
01-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Are you sure about 5x a year only? Kind of sad cause i went it to be much as possible.. HOWEVER it seems kind of true because i've only experienced this few times a year and seems like i'm in a quest to get to this state of mind.. but more i hunger for this or even feel discipline to reach this... it seems I'm trying to hard.. and that's another issue... This game can get quite spiritual....

ALten1
01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I do know its a great feeling when you play over your head or get in the zone. You start thinking this is how I am supposed to play. If I can play like this now then why not everytime. Then on the way to your vehicle you're saying to yourself that noone is really on your level in the league.

Next match you end up playing worse than you can ever remember. Telling the opponent or your partner that you don't know whats wrong! I've never played this bad before! I was better than this the first time I picked up a racquet.

Now that I think about it, I can do without being in the zone for those 5 days. It only leads to weeks of being ****ed off.

LuckyR
01-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Are you sure about 5x a year only? Kind of sad cause i went it to be much as possible.. HOWEVER it seems kind of true because i've only experienced this few times a year and seems like i'm in a quest to get to this state of mind.. but more i hunger for this or even feel discipline to reach this... it seems I'm trying to hard.. and that's another issue... This game can get quite spiritual....

Yup, five a year seems about right.

muddlehead
01-16-2010, 08:49 AM
in hockey terms, my other sport, sometimes the puck just won't go in the net. other times, you score when it caroms off someone's skate. i like what brad gilbert said. it's all about the times in between that defines you.