PDA

View Full Version : Volkl DNX

midsouth
04-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Anyone know anything about Volkl's ad in the current issue of RSI. Shows a pic of a new frame called the Volkl DNX V1 and states, "...revolutionary new Material (DNX) was created by the world renowned German Technical Institute Fraunhofer TEG...25 times stronger than any graphite material used today, its revolutionary new properties produce one of a kind playability, unique power and unmatched comfort...". Who's got the skinny?

ismashall
04-24-2005, 10:28 PM
hmm, i wonder

Craig Sheppard
04-25-2005, 05:26 AM
Man, Google couldn't even come up with anything for me on this. I did learn that DNX is the stock symbol for Discovery Networks, and a company named DNX is screwing with genes in mice. Neither of which will probably help in tennis racquets.

NoBadMojo
04-25-2005, 05:39 AM
Volkl has found a way to put mice DNA into their tennis frames, thusly giving their frames more 'life'. The V1DNX is due out in the summer sometime. More info to follow.

Zeta
04-25-2005, 05:52 AM
The firs racquet with tail... LOL

Koz
04-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Just realized DNX is pretty similar to DNA. cloned racquets are the way of the future.

Morpheus
04-25-2005, 03:42 PM
The firs racquet with tail... LOL

I thought yonex had the first racquet with tail?

TommyGun
04-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Volkl teasers will start within the month, but product and information won't be released until summer, according to some of my sources...

antontd
04-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Can't wait, can't wait! 25 times stronger than graphite? More Power and More Control - YAY. Federer, here I come. :)

Flatspin
04-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Yes ....... I heard from reliable sources, Head Marketing div., that by crossing the genes from different frames and their best attributes .... that a new frame will be available for demo. Pre-released as the WilKennex FlexMetal Mini-Midplus! Heard that the frames will make a 3.0 level player a 5.0 within 30 days. May be recharged at night to fully the energy of the intelli-fibers. A must have!!!

bamboo
04-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Pg. 36 of Inside Tennis May issue, full-page ad.

Zeta
04-25-2005, 11:06 PM
So this is true? New frames from Volkl?

ismashall
04-26-2005, 01:55 AM
hmm, i wonder

NoBadMojo
04-27-2005, 09:32 AM
a little more info on the upcoming V1 DNX. the DNX material is placed above the grip and on the ears. evidently the feel is very solid and unique. these have a very similar profile to the reg V1's and i believe similar weight and balance. more access to controllable power than the reg V1 i am told, but am told it's all about the special feel (we'll see). like the reg V1, usable by people of a broad range of abilities. more understated cosmetics..black , w. some gold/bronze, and a bit of gray. they have plans to apply this DNX material to the 10series as well, but that may be a ways off..a Europe first thing perhaps. thats all i know just now. will post again when i've had a hit w. one of these...will be a while..hard to imagine they can improve on the V1 Classic imo.

MNJEEPJEEP
05-10-2005, 07:03 AM
This frame comes out in about a month... I think I will get to hit one this week... I'll let you know, as I am a huge fan of the orig V1.

Match-Point
05-10-2005, 10:21 AM
MNJEEPJEEP,

Please let us know how the new DNX V1 dances. I am also a huge fan of the V-1 Classic.

M-P

tom4ny
05-10-2005, 10:52 AM
i thought i read something about a new line called "BB"? (for you know who) 2 frames to start or something.

Match-Point
05-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Yes I read that on the Volkl International site.

http://www.voelkl.com/tennis/US/03_news/03__172/03_172.html

"First serve" for BB by VÖLKL Tennis

Tennis legend Boris Becker presents his own first racket and equipment line at the new ISPO in China.

Munich, March 2005 – There was never anything like this before! Boris Becker presents his first tennis collection, which is officially allowed to bear the name of the German sport idol: BB by VÖLKL Tennis. "It doesn't just say Becker on the outside, there's Becker inside, too," says the tennis star proudly. An absolute world premiere for the start of the first IPSO to be held in China, which the three-time Wimbledon champ will open on 14th March as a guest of honour.

LafayetteHitter
05-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Wow, things are going to get interesting. Ok, Edo, where are you to add a little more light on this story.

Scott

Match-Point
05-13-2005, 04:34 AM
First release of the specs for the new Boris Becker racquets is out. As with every new line the specs are subject to change in production. No word on when they may be released in the US. Looks like there will be 8 racquets released not necessarily all at once. Interesting in that only one head size is smaller than 100 sq. inches. They range from 98-112 sq inches with most being 100 or 102. Seems to be consistent with NoBad's belief that larger head sizes are more suitable for today's game/player. Here is the line-up:

BB1 / BB3 / BB5 / BB7 / BB10 / BB10SL / BB Power / BB Smash

Match-Point

NoBadMojo
05-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Scott I dont have any knowledge to add to this..only speculation. MP seems to be on the case. The BB10 looks like a knock off of the nCode cosmetically, but it has P-Raps. I think it will be a long time before these frames are seen in the US (if ever), and being an autograph line, might make sense these may be for the mass merchant market segment other than the BB10. maybe Volkl has found an opening for mass merchant frames in other countries? dont think they would try and breach that here in the US with Wilson and Head so well entrenched..these are merely guesses on my part as I've heard nothing from Volkl yet, but the Volkl pro shoppe line is already pretty deep.

shaun
06-05-2005, 12:08 PM
this si the most i can tell you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is the new racquet from Volkl. I am demo-ing it this weekend. So far i like it. Great pop on serves!

here are the specs that are listed on racquet (inside bottom part of string bed ):
102 in2
10.1 oz
0.7 inhl
28-22-25 mm
27 in
16x19
55 +/- 5

I currently use a turbo outlaw

:mrgreen:

gregraven
06-07-2005, 05:38 AM
This is from a Volkl press release:

DNX is the unique Material structure that is featured in the new Volkl Tennis Racquet Series.

DNX is unique to the tennis industry.

- DNX is 25 times stronger than regular carbon fibres
- No material used for mass production has ever reached this level of strength.
- The Volkl Tennis DNX frames are worldwide the first ever product to use DNX material
- Volkl Tennis has an exclusive license for using DNX in the tennis industry

Fraunhofer TEG, a leading German Institute of Technology, developed DNX. DNX was originally developed for industries needing new types of carbon for extreme resiliency

– Aviation
– Space industry
– Formula 1

References of Fraunhofer TEG:

- Audi
- Bosch
- MAN
- Rolls-Royce
- Volkswagen AG
- Varta AG
- Akzo-Nobel

And more than 50 other well-known companies, now including Volkl Tennis.

DNX is an entirely new material class.

- DNX is a spidernet-microstructure of hollow carbon tubes. A tube is much stiffer and stronger than a planar geometry.
- This new material represents the fourth dimension of carbon after Graphite, Diamond and Fullerenes

DNX is integrated in strategically important areas in the racquet.

- Adds TORSIONAL STABILITY especially on off-center shots
- Adds POWER due to local reinforcement and strength DNX "Wings" at 3 & 9 O'clock
- DNX "Collar" Cap above the grip

How does DNX material improve Playability? Less loss of energy because of increased strength in the carbon material in every direction Ordinary carbon fibres are only stiff in one direction. Result: DNX adds strength to the racquet, which enhances the Power and Precision DNX players experience.

It will be available in the DNX V1 MP and DNX V1 OS.

Craig Sheppard
06-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Is it just me or do we really need some new material that's even stronger? Last time I checked my racquets haven't been falling apart... And do we really need something that's even stiffer? This obviously isn't a result of tennis-specific research, but a material that was co-opted from another industry for marketing purposes. I wish someone would actually research what's needed in racquets, like something that is strong yet flexible and can transmit lots of feel...

BreakPoint
06-07-2005, 11:38 AM
I agree with Craig! Do we really need another material that's even stiffer than HyperCarbon, Liquid Metal, Hot Melt, Titanium, etc.? These materials already take away a lot of feel and causes arm problems. What we need are more flexible and resilient materials that are also strong but not stiff.

NoBadMojo
06-07-2005, 12:37 PM
flexible materials = less powerful materials. aint gonna happen, altho volkl has reinvented the use of fibreglass in racquets. i see nothing wrong with the strategic use of new stiffer stronger lightweight materials in tennis racquets....bottom line is how they play. volkl quite usually comes up with quite playable, easy on the body frames using various materials and technology..i cant see why people have problems with stuff like this, but too each their own. i cant think of any material in the history of tennis that was originally designed for a tennis racquet..used to be it went from aerospace or something industrial--->skis---->tennis racquets, and back in the day some of the ski makers made the best racquets and had tech advantages i feel.....

tom4ny
06-07-2005, 01:50 PM
hehehe, call me crazy but maybe we should wait until the racquet(s) comes out b4 we analyze it.

tom4ny
06-07-2005, 02:13 PM
and nobadmojo - you are right on as usual brother.
peace out.