PDA

View Full Version : Question re online court reservation systems

86golf
01-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Does anyone know how to prevent two players from a doubles match, booking courts back-to-back to give them a 3 hour reservation?

In other words, our system will only allow a 90 minute court reservation per person, but the opponent could book it for another 90 minutes and therefore one match could have a court for 3 hours.

Is there a work around or a penalty for this at other clubs?

Delano
01-14-2010, 12:20 PM
How many names are required for a reservation? If your system requires four names, then it should be pretty easy to check the names and make sure that none of them are allowed to book in the next time slot. But if the system only requires two names (ie., allows two people to book for singles), then I don't think there's any way to enforce this through the software (how would the system know?) Seems like the only way to enforce this would be to have an actual live person monitor the courts (and good luck with that...)

In some ways, it's not even desirable... you could notice in the computer that two people who booked a court for singles are actually playing doubles, and then check back later and kick them off. Technically, they aren't really using up any more court time than they'd be if they had played singles.

The one thing I can see being a problem is if people who have dropped in and are waiting for court time watch four people (who did this back-to-back reservation trick) enjoy three hours of court time. That could **** a lot of people off, but I guess you could just say it's their fault for not making reservations (the downside is that you say this enough times and the people who have unpredictable schedules and tend to drop in will probably leave your club if they get shut out of court availability...)

86golf
01-14-2010, 01:19 PM
The go-live date for this is Monday and we are just trying to think ahead as to how to handle this issue. It may not ever come up, but we need to have some policy in place to avoid it. Maybe what I should have asked, is this an issue at other clubs? I can see a few of our members taking advantage of this loop hole and running drills for 3 hours. For the majority, it wouldn't be an issue.

jserve
01-14-2010, 02:23 PM
The club I play at requires 2 names to be put down for each reservation. So for singles it would be really difficult to book back to back courts, but for doubles it happens often. I haven't heard anyone complaining about people booking back to back courts at my club either.

cak
01-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Does singles have a one hour limit? Or is it still 90 minutes? If it's one hour, and you need two people to sign in for singles and four for doubles then the most they could get out of doing that would be 30 minutes.