PDA

View Full Version : Please Help: Any attacking sticks out there???

louis netman
04-24-2005, 09:46 PM
I have tried and modded everything (as evidenced by my want ad posts)...frustration level is at an all-time high. The best thing I can come up with is my old Prince Precision Response ti's...and I have to string them low with gut to keep my arm from hurting. Have to be really cautious not to launch rockets with this setup. Inhibited playing really sucks. Slax X-1 with lead is not bad, but what a lame upper hoop it has and some pain to boot. Nothing else I've tried has any attacking/volleying pizazz...C10 is great , but too cumbersome, PS 6.0 95 needs too much lead and ends up too heavy, currently chopped off the grommets on some t10 gen 1s: nice all court behavior, but lacks volley penetration without the extra grommet weight, T10 gen 2's lacked pop) PLEASE HELP!!!
P.S. I don't like sand swishing around in my rackets, don't mind modding and prefer 95"-102"

Ryoma Kun
04-24-2005, 10:01 PM
3 letters

P-O-G

you can tear apart anyone from the baseline with this racquet, volleying is above avg.

also, very comfy on the arm, very little shock. string this thing with gut and you will be a whole new player

pchoi04
04-24-2005, 10:20 PM
What level player are you... I mean... Your probably not gonna hit a better ball just by switching racquets all the time... Maybe you need to work on your technique.... If you dont think so... maybe try out the POG MP... Lovely racquet.

Jerry Seinfeld
04-25-2005, 03:39 AM
louis - -

A couple months back I revisited my old Prince Mono. This stick is the best I have found for volleying. I've been hitting with it exclusively for a little over a month and couldn't be happier. The specs on this racquet help explain the volleying prowess. 97.6" head, weight is 11.8 oz (stock, mine is 12.2), 8pts head light, flex 62. The mono shaft helps to make it extremely manueverable and quick at net. While they are out of production if you watch **** you can pick one up for $30 - $75 depending on condition.

The downside is comfort and if the Precision Response is uncomfortable for you, this one may be too. The racquet does provide some feedback, but so far no elbow issues or arm pain. It is the only racquet I have ever used with a dampener, which helps make it more comfy. I also have been using softer strings at 55.5 tension. Natural gut and Signum Pro Fiber High Tec EXP (a new multi that is quite gut-like in playability) are working well and help provide just the right blend of punch and feel.

By today's standards the racquet is lower powered, but it is more powerful than the Yonex ti 80 I had been using for the past couple of years, probably close to the Precision Response. My experience with the Mono has been quite positive overall and I while I know it is off of most radar screens for many reasons it seems like it may come close to what you are seeking.

nViATi
04-25-2005, 05:50 AM
What level player are you... I mean... Your probably not gonna hit a better ball just by switching racquets all the time... Maybe you need to work on your technique.... If you dont think so... maybe try out the POG MP... Lovely racquet.
no such thing as POG midplus.. only Oversized107 or Mid93
i don't know why TW states the pog 93 as midplus

andreh
04-25-2005, 05:55 AM
I play S&V with a PS85 6.0. But if you thought the 95 was too much I guess the 85 is out of the question.

The only recommendation I otherwise have is to get a headlight control oriented stick. They tend to be good for attacking styles. And by the way, it's often not the stick that's the problem...just a tip. No offense.

Steve H.
04-25-2005, 06:32 AM
Louis, it sounds as though you want a frame with a tapered beam, or at least something on the thick side like the Response ti. How about a PK Laver, Fischer Pro 1 or one of the CTS Princes? If you start with something with low enough swingweight you can add weight to the tip without getting too unwieldy. Or, what about a customized Warrior? I played with one for a while with about an ounce of weight added to the handle, it was too whippy for me but volleys were really solid.

Swingman
04-25-2005, 06:38 AM
Over the past 4 months I've been playing with the X1, RDX 500 MP (my 2nd stint with this racquet), and Head Classic mid. As my summer season approaches I'm thinking of going back to my leaded up 300Gs (11.8 ounces). I'm a strong 4.5 that spends most of the time on the baseline but comes in when attacking. I also play doubles half the time. Anyway, I'm finding that the 300G is providing the best combination of power, feedback and maneuverablity. It's not as comfortable as the RDX, stable as the X1 or has the sweet feel of the Head classic but overall it allows to me to be really aggressive with good control. This racquet gets a lot of flack on this board and in stock weight I can understand why. However, I think there are few racquets out there that give you as much flexibility (in terms of customization). Another racquet that would be similar in power and control would be the Volkl Tour 9 VE - however I didn't care for the feel of it. Another two that I would suggest for aggressive play would be the Yonex Tour 5 and the Fischer Extreme FT. However, my recollection is that these were a bit lower in power than the Tour 10 Gen 2. Good luck.

NoBadMojo
04-25-2005, 06:46 AM
louis i was able to volley up a storm w. my G1's w. chopped bumpers using either gut hybrid or klip excellerator. i think the G1 is a very sweet volleying frame...flexy, very thin beamed, headlight when chopped down, lots of feel, spin, enough weight to pierce the court but not a club, etc.

brian.sat
04-25-2005, 08:55 AM
I have tried and modded everything (as evidenced by my want ad posts)...frustration level is at an all-time high. The best thing I can come up with is my old Prince Precision Response ti's...and I have to string them low with gut to keep my arm from hurting. Have to be really cautious not to launch rockets with this setup. Inhibited playing really sucks. Slax X-1 with lead is not bad, but what a lame upper hoop it has and some pain to boot. Nothing else I've tried has any attacking/volleying pizazz...C10 is great , but too cumbersome, PS 6.0 95 needs too much lead and ends up too heavy, currently chopped off the grommets on some t10 gen 1s: nice all court behavior, but lacks volley penetration without the extra grommet weight, T10 gen 2's lacked pop) PLEASE HELP!!!
P.S. I don't like sand swishing around in my rackets, don't mind modding and prefer 95"-102"

My HM200G is an outstanding attacking weapon from baseline to netgame. You should swing it yourself. String is affecting your result too much, so you have to try different stringjobs for demo.