PDA

View Full Version : first league ever... any advice on...

Edward DFW
01-14-2010, 01:02 PM
What I should expect or general advice?

It starts next Thursday. I'm not sure what to expect.

Bashi
01-14-2010, 01:07 PM
don't take it too seriously, do it to have fun

Wakenslam
01-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Expect a variety of opponents. Some will be very fair, some will make bad calls. Some of your matches will be really close, and some won't. Good luck and have fun.

Ripper014
01-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Do you see a common thread in all the responses to this point... HAVE FUN!

brad1730
01-14-2010, 02:54 PM
I play on our club's league during winter, and people want to win, but it's also fairly social. I would expect a more serious opponent in USTA. I like the team feeling of USTA leagues, and I like not knowing how my opponent is going to play. Overall, I've had a great time. Just take it easy, and work yourself into the match.

Yaz
01-14-2010, 10:00 PM
I was nervous my first time playing league...didn't want to let my team down but as a result I played tight and we lost our doubles match.

Stay loose and play your game.

athiker
01-15-2010, 06:14 AM
What level? Just to put your mind at ease I haven't seen a fraction of the issues discussed here happen on the courts...actually we haven't had any issues at all...but then I've only played USTA 1 full season on 3.5 teams (edit: 2 seasons, 1 year, plus a ladder and a compass league).

Some players are friendlier than others, but its been an overwhelmingly positive experience.

You call balls on your side, giving the benefit of the doubt and let the other team make the calls on their side without comment or faces and that should go a long way.

Keep positive with your teammate and yourself. If you miss some balls don't start yelling at yourself or getting disgusted...that does kinda take the fun level down for everyone else.

Finally, read up online on doubles strategy if you are new to doubles (I don't know if you are...but I was) and ask questions. Knowing where to be on the court will go a long way in doubles and with your partner(s). Good luck.

goran_ace
01-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Be on time!

Actually, showing up 15-30 minutes early is 'on time.' Showing up two minutes before your start time is considered late and you'll make your captain and teammates nervous.

goran_ace
01-15-2010, 06:56 AM
That said, it is just tennis. It's not worth risking an accident or getting a speeding ticket. So plan on leaving home/work early enough to get there on time, but if you have to be late, call your captain ASAP. Most captains (yours and the opposing team) will understand and accomodate, but don't be shocked if you call ahead and the other captain is a jerk and still tries to apply the late/default rules.

Edward DFW
01-15-2010, 03:25 PM
This is a 3.0 league that is through the city park system, not affiliated with USTA and no teams.

West Coast Ace
01-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Expect to see a lot of bad backhand! :)

PS - have fun. And look for someone at a similar skill level and with a similar approach to the game - you might make a friend for life.

Cindysphinx
01-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Play with whatever strokes happen to be working that day. If your normal first serve isn't going in, go with a serve that will go in. If you can't find your backhand, run around it.

At 3.0, doubles or singles, you will do well if you just keep the ball in play. Nothing fancy. Just keep it in play every chance you get.

Good luck!!!

Sakkijarvi
01-16-2010, 11:41 AM
...can and will happen. I hadn't picked up a racquet for years and jumped into a club singles league a few years back to get back into tennis. I met a few lunkheads, but much more importantly, I made some new friends that became buddies AND created a wide tennis circle for myself that provides more opportunities to play than I can ever fill.

Plus I got so hooked on tennis that I now play 4-5 times a week, have a singles league coming up, and sub in at 3 different clubs in my area. I've got multiple tennis pros in my circle, players from rec to ex college, and two of my kids got bit by the bug at the same time I did and one just completed a great high school career and another has one more year left.