PDA

View Full Version : College Athletic Accident policy

tennismom42
01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Well, I find this amusing. We'll see if anyone else does.

So during the recruiting process, many things were offered. Truly it is a great offering when you consider thousands of dollars saved in coaching, athletic membership, travel, weight room, trainers, etc.

But I recall that the accident insurance was mentioned too.

So far, this is panning out to be quite a bizarre "benefit." Standard athletic policy offered at most universities has a $5K deductible, so that's unlikely. School is real sensitive about it too. Heads up, coordinate excessively with the school.

We'll see how things go. But I must say that I am REALLY glad that we have our own, good insurance.

jgravagna
01-15-2010, 06:40 PM
What college did you pick?

tennismom42
01-15-2010, 08:02 PM
What college did you pick?He picked an east school. Plans have certainly changed. Good thing young athletes heal quickly.

jgravagna
01-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Good Luck! Once your son signed a NLI his scholarship is protected against injury. However, before a player signs a NLI a coach can pull an offer if a player gets hurt before they sign. Syracuse pulled a offer on a player this year. Not very nice

tennismom42
01-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Good Luck! Once your son signed a NLI his scholarship is protected against injury. However, before a player signs a NLI a coach can pull an offer if a player gets hurt before they sign. Syracuse pulled a offer on a player this year. Not very niceNot fun for us either, for him to get hurt during the "invitationals" season. Strategizing the 2nd year is heavy on my mind and my son's. I think the colleges make those kids practice way too much. Perhaps I've forgotten what it's like to be young and full of energy.

Whatever happened to Ian Chadwell?

ClarkC
01-16-2010, 01:31 PM

Playing at Alabama.

tennismom42
01-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Playing at Alabama.I thought his foot exploded on him ??? Wow, good news.

drupha
01-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Not fun for us either, for him to get hurt during the "invitationals" season. Strategizing the 2nd year is heavy on my mind and my son's. I think the colleges make those kids practice way too much. Perhaps I've forgotten what it's like to be young and full of energy.

How much was he practicing in college vs how much was he practicing before he got to college?

I don't know anyone who played D1 without at least 3 hours a day in high school, and then in college it was about 2-3 hours of court time and an hour or so of conditioning/weights.

The people I knew complained a lot more about travel times than practice times.

tennismom42
01-17-2010, 12:57 PM
How much was he practicing in college vs how much was he practicing before he got to college?

I don't know anyone who played D1 without at least 3 hours a day in high school, and then in college it was about 2-3 hours of court time and an hour or so of conditioning/weights.

The people I knew complained a lot more about travel times than practice times.3 1/2 hours per day, 6 days per week or more in college this Fall. This summers was a lot of tournaments & some practice. Regardless, it was < the fall practices.

cmb
01-17-2010, 05:02 PM
What sort of injury occured?

tennismom42
01-17-2010, 06:21 PM
What sort of injury occured?hole in the back of his shoulder. pinched nerve. 3 treating doctors in the nations, that's how rare it is.

But it happens a lot in tennis, baseball & volley ball athletes. (overhead action)

goran_ace
01-18-2010, 06:08 AM
I think the colleges make those kids practice way too much.

The problem with playing so much in college is that you don't have time to recover. Even if the trainer says you need rest, there is pressure from your coaches to get back on the court as soon as possible, especially if you play one of the top 3 spots or if you have a thin bench (or no bench). You are always in danger of losing your spot in the lineup to someone else so you play. There is also social pressure from your teammates. You feel like are not part of the team while you are injured. You might find yourself eating dinner in the cafeteria with your non-tennis friends more often because your teammates went straight to dinner from practice and forgot to call you. So you learn to play hurt, play through pain. Nagging wear-and-tear injuries never go away, you just take a lot of advil before going on the court.

tennismom42
01-18-2010, 08:11 AM
The problem with playing so much in college is that you don't have time to recover. Even if the trainer says you need rest, there is pressure from your coaches to get back on the court as soon as possible, especially if you play one of the top 3 spots or if you have a thin bench (or no bench). You are always in danger of losing your spot in the lineup to someone else so you play. There is also social pressure from your teammates. You feel like are not part of the team while you are injured. You might find yourself eating dinner in the cafeteria with your non-tennis friends more often because your teammates went straight to dinner from practice and forgot to call you. So you learn to play hurt, play through pain. Nagging wear-and-tear injuries never go away, you just take a lot of advil before going on the court.not a tear injury. little or no pain. no cyst, no incident day. Only warning sign, my son says, is it just felt more tired than it should have. Then he saw the whole in the mirror.

MC10S
01-18-2010, 10:39 AM
I had a terrible shoulder injury that I never had fixed, and I should have under the university insurance policy. It was a huge mistake on my part.

MC10s,
Contributor
D3tennis.com

jrod
01-18-2010, 10:46 AM
whole in the back of his shoulder. pinched nerve. 3 treating doctors in the nations, that's how rare it is.

But it happens a lot in tennis, baseball & volley ball athletes. (overhead action)

tm42- This seems contradictory to me. Only 3 treating physicians in the nation, yet the injury occurs frequently? Does it normally resolve itself so treatment is not called for most of the time? I don't get it....

tennismom42
01-18-2010, 01:39 PM
tm42- This seems contradictory to me. Only 3 treating physicians in the nation, yet the injury occurs frequently? Does it normally resolve itself so treatment is not called for most of the time? I don't get it....It's a common problem for those sports. Most docors fix it by opening up the patient, which causes a long recovery time. We can only find 3 doctors in the nationa that have a history with doing the procedure arthroscopically. Only tools & camera go in. Less invasive, better for athletes.

ClarkC
01-18-2010, 06:58 PM
whole in the back of his shoulder. pinched nerve. 3 treating doctors in the nations, that's how rare it is.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I will look at the back of my son's shoulder sometime.

By the way, it is hole, not whole.