PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop McEnroe racquet

AJK1
04-25-2005, 05:47 AM
Has anyone hit with or own the Dunlop McEnroe model? Any good? Curious

Ash Doyle
04-25-2005, 06:10 AM
I liked it. It feels heavier than it's 11.3 ounce weight, probably due to the only 3 points head light balance. I have mine strung with Klip gut at 57 lbs, and it has a surprising ammount of power. The leather grip it comes with is incredible. I love leather, and I've tried Fairway, Babolat, and about every other leather grip out there and none have the super nice feel of this Dunlop grip. It has the soft feel of the old leather grips that came on the old wood racquets. The paintjob on it is great...it looks awesome. It's really a great racquet. If you're used to playing with a typical headlight low 11 ounce racquet then this one will feel quite heavy to you. If you're used to a low 12 ounce racquet (Like a PS 6.0 95) then the swingweight will feel about right for you. The feel of this racquet is quite different from what you might guess from the specs...or maybe that's just me. Absolutely worth a demo at least.

lepperkahn
04-25-2005, 11:23 AM
I have two original recipe 200Gs and I think it's a great model. The racquet provides you with great touch and control on your shots but it is not a really "powerful" racquet. Hitting with this racquet will take some time as it is not as forgiving as most of the more modern racquets. As you already know, McEnro used it but so did Steffi Graf and Martina Navratilova.
The technology behind the racquet was way ahead of its time. It was injections molded and only utilized grommets on the bottom of the frame.
I recently retired my 200G for an NXG tour as it gives me the same feel but greater control as well.

Jet Rink
04-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Lepper - I've never hit with a Prince frame. Can you talk about the NXG and how you came to use it after a 200g?

Jet

lepperkahn
04-25-2005, 01:50 PM
I started playing with a 200G in 87'; before then I had played with wooden racquets and a few aluminum racquets. I felt that the 200G transferred less vibration than many of the aluminum racquets but the enlarged head size of the 200G was more forgiving than wood.
My game improved but it was not attributed wholly to the racquet. Instead the 200G made it easier to experiment with different types of grips and back swing styles.
I took some time off from serious tennis (about eight years) and decided that it was time to get back in to things and that maybe it was time for a racquet upgrade as well.
I went to ******* sports in NYC and the sales person directed me to the NXG mid (I don't really care for today's mid-plus or oversize) because it utilized a similar grommet-less construction, transferred very little vibration and was marketed as a "control" racquet. I was very skeptical because the 200G was in my opinion the very best "feel" racquet.
After demo the NXG I immediately fell in love with it. My shots were crisp and spin was easier to generate on serve and ground strokes. I was able to hit the back hand slice more solidly; which really helped my approach to the net.
Volleys were easier to control and service return was easier for me to place. I was able to block the ball back with greater placement against big servers.
Don't get me wrong; they're two very different racquets, but the NXG offered the right mix of power, control and touch.
The holy grail of tennis racquets does not exist but the NXG enabled my game to improve a notch.
As a serve volleyer, I place extra emphasis on racquets that allow me to "feel" my shots. The NXG does just that.
I eventually purchased two new NXGs on ****.

BreakPoint
04-25-2005, 01:50 PM
I agree that the NXG has that "old school" feel to it, not a whole lot different from the POG and PS 6.0 95. Also has some similarities to the Slaz X-1, but not as stiff.

Zeta
04-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Maybe he's talking about this racket: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-DMMC.html

kooyah
04-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Isn't the original poster asking about the Dunlop Maxply McEnroe and not the Max 200g?

Steve H.
04-25-2005, 03:35 PM
So what does this thing have to do with JMac? Is he using it?

Craig Sheppard
04-25-2005, 05:03 PM
So what does this thing have to do with JMac? Is he using it?
For the time being.
http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51811092.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE9A21091711E5AD1E9185FC41F967 4F057757C85AE85A779B

Jet Rink
04-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Isn't the original poster asking about the Dunlop Maxply McEnroe and not the Max 200g?

I believe he was. I saw that too re: 200g, but since the post was already made, thought I could get a bit of advice on a racquet I knew nothing about. Thanks Lepper. Sorry for the derail. Completely unintentional.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Jet

lepperkahn
04-25-2005, 06:16 PM
No problem, Jet. I should've paid a little more attention. Thanks for the heads up, kooyah.

lefty10spro
04-25-2005, 06:49 PM
The new Maxply Mac - perhaps the ugliest colors combo ever!

Deuce
04-27-2005, 01:56 AM
The new Maxply Mac - perhaps the ugliest colors combo ever!

It sports that color scheme simply because it's the same color scheme as the original Maxply McEnroe - circa 1983.

Any truth to the rumor that Dunlop had to increase the headsize of the new Maxply McEnroe to 98 sq. in. because Mac's head couldn't fit through 95 sq. in.?

Ash Doyle
04-27-2005, 04:54 AM
I've got to disagree with you, Lefty. I think it's one of the best looking racquets out right now. ..and according to Thomas Martinez, Mac really does use this racquet (just with the weight boosted some).

Deuce, I think he's been using 98 in. head racquets since the Volkl. If I were John McEnroe, my head wouldn't be able to fit into Arthur Ashe stadium!

Coda
04-27-2005, 06:30 AM
does anyone have the specs for the original maxply?

BreakPoint
04-27-2005, 11:46 AM
does anyone have the specs for the original maxply?

Off of the top of my head, it was similar in design and look to the Dunlop Maxply Fort, but it was stiffer, had a reinforced head, more evenly balanced, and may have been a bit thicker. It definitely felt heavier than a Maxply Fort when you played with it.

My guess would be:

Headsize: 65 sq. in.
Weight: 13.8 oz.
Balance: 6 pts. HL
Swingweight: 350
Flex: 45

Tommy Haas
04-27-2005, 03:59 PM
* deleted *

Matt_Williamson
04-27-2005, 05:10 PM
The ugliest racquet out there... if you wanna scare your opponents away from the net. I played with this frame, didn't like it... felt like a 2x4... too stiff.
MW