PDA

View Full Version : Flexpoint Radical Tour - Best racquet?

Fatmike
04-25-2005, 06:10 AM
I read the TW review on the flexpoint radical tour and it made me wanna go buy one right now...

Fortunatly for my wallet, I had the occasion to play with the Radical Flexpoint MP saturday afternoon and I didn't like it at all....

I must say that I was waking up from a "too much alcool evening" and the demo I used was a 4 3/8 while I need a 4 5/8 plus it was the first time I used a so heavy frame, but I was always late on the ball resulting by many non-centered + frame hits that was not even going over the net... (I'm used to a mid-plus 107 racquet)

Well, I'm use to a very light more powerfull racquet (I use an L1 while Radical is L4) and I think that I should used it for a few hours to get use to the feel of the radical... cause while using it for only 20 minutes, I hit some really nice shots that were soooo deadly accurate and powerfull, but in order to do so I had to hit the sweetspot perfectly... if not, it was a misshit...

Anyway, I'm going to try it again soon and for more then 20 minutes.... balls that were hit well were awsome.... but going from a very light to a heavy racquet might be more difficult then I thought...

Prestigious
04-25-2005, 09:36 AM
I must say that I was waking up from a "too much alcool evening" and the demo I used was a 4 3/8 while I need a 4 5/8 plus it was the first time I used a so heavy frame, but I was always late on the ball resulting by many non-centered + frame hits that was not even going over the net... (I'm used to a mid-plus 107 racquet)

Fatmike - I read your sobering comments with interest. I suggest you try another demo when you aren't hungover and find a larger grip or use an overgrip. Using a heavier racquet with a grip that is 2-sizes too small is torture. You need more than 20 minutes to give it a fair shot. Also, moving from 107 to 100 sq. in. is quite a transition. The FP Radical Tour isn't going to be as powerful as an OS.

I received a FP Radical Tour last week and really like it so far. I've always used heavier racquets so the weight was about right. I also like the 1" head light balance. The racquet has good control for 16 mains. Spin was plentiful. The string and tension also play a big part in how the racquet responds.

Fatmike
04-25-2005, 09:48 AM
yeah, I'd love to try it for a much longer period as evrebody always says that a heavier frame is so much better...

I'm sold to head... but I was looking for a 16x19 pattern (like my head lm fire) so I was looking for a rdx-500 mp but since I read the soooo good review on TW, I wanna try the Radical Flex Tour.. unfortunatly, the club where I play only have 4 3/8 to demo and only the midplus Radical Flex

I may buy it ths summer

wao
04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
yeah, I'd love to try it for a much longer period as evrebody always says that a heavier frame is so much better...

I'm sold to head... but I was looking for a 16x19 pattern (like my head lm fire) so I was looking for a rdx-500 mp but since I read the soooo good review on TW, I wanna try the Radical Flex Tour.. unfortunatly, the club where I play only have 4 3/8 to demo and only the midplus Radical Flex

I may buy it ths summer
Fatmike,
The TOUR plays much better than the MP. I did not like the MP but enjoyed the TOUR so much I just ordered a couple. Take it out for a test and let me know what you think. Besides it is a 16X19 string pattern
Wayne

barry
04-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Am also interested in the FP tour. What tension did you use on yours?

Prestigious
04-25-2005, 02:09 PM
I strung mine at 60 lbs. with XCel. I went a little higher in tension due to the flexibility of the frame.

wao
04-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Am also interested in the FP tour. What tension did you use on yours?

Barry,
Prestigious is right on, I also strung mine at 60lbs. It plays great at that tension. I strung mine with NRG 16. Next time I might string it with a hybrid
of VS and Excellarator.

Take one out as a demo.
Wayne

mido
04-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Flexpoint Tour strung with Pro Hurricane 17 mains and Klip Excellerator 17 crosses at 60 lbs.

Problem is that Excellerator 17 broke after about 5 hrs.
NRG2 17 and X-One 17 lasted longer. Will try Excellerator 16 or Klip K-Boom 17.

Exile
04-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Well one point of the review is to sell rackets, thats is one reason you might want to buy one, it is also one of the reasons that not every racket is reviewed on tw.

But you might like it if you weren't hungover.
(Drink fruit juice/water and eat eggs,dont drink coffee. The reason you get hangovers is because theres no water in the system and the brain is dried out.
To avoid hangovers, drink water inbetween drinks, or the morning after, rehydrate yourself with things enriched with vitamins an minerals, like fruit juice. Look it up at howstuffworks.com)

A switch to a heavier racket might be a good idea, but take it slow, and make sure it doesnt get in the way of your game. But if there's really nothing wrong with your old stick, don't buy a new one without extensive playtesting.

Roforot
04-25-2005, 03:34 PM
But you might like it if you weren't hungover.
(Drink fruit juice/water and eat eggs,dont drink coffee. The reason you get hangovers is because theres no water in the system and the brain is dried out.
To avoid hangovers, drink water inbetween drinks, or the morning after, rehydrate yourself with things enriched with vitamins an minerals, like fruit juice. Look it up at howstuffworks.com)

Amusing ideas... The reason one becomes hungover is usually b/c they enjoyed themselves too much the night before :) Probably easier just to cut down a bit on the drinking; however if you have to use a drink as an eye opener, or if the suggestion to cut down makes you angry, you can look this up at www.youneedAA.com :)

Funny thing is, I played the best of my life after I had a beer... so relaxed,
went for my shots...

barry
04-25-2005, 03:39 PM
FP Tour strung weight is 12 ounces, but I use a 5/8 grip so might be a little higher. In addition, I have 8 Fairway leather grips left, so will be replacing the current grip with a Fairway. It will add 1/2 ounce. 12.5 is swing able.

Current frame with leather grip is 11.8 ounces. I like a heavy racket; you can slow your swing and still generate pace.
Only question left is what tension to string the Polyester. Might start with 55 pounds, and then move up.

nViATi
04-25-2005, 04:14 PM
107 to 100 is not very big of a difference. i went from a 107in Head i.S1 to a 100 in Prince Precision Graphite.

Fatmike
04-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Amusing ideas... The reason one becomes hungover is usually b/c they enjoyed themselves too much the night before :) Probably easier just to cut down a bit on the drinking; however if you have to use a drink as an eye opener, or if the suggestion to cut down makes you angry, you can look this up at www.youneedAA.com :)

Funny thing is, I played the best of my life after I had a beer... so relaxed,
went for my shots...

I don't need AA thanks... but I like to drink good wine on the week-ends...

federer_nadal
04-25-2005, 09:49 PM
107 to 100 is nothing i went from 110 to 90 and it was natural. it could just be me?

ormurray
04-26-2005, 03:46 AM
I first switched from a radical LM OS to midplus (98 ) last year, and actually found the 98 easier to play. Then, last week, I went to the FP radical tour (100). The tour is .8 oz or so heavier, but the weight is not really noticeable with the jump from 4 to 8 pts head light. What I do notice is the increased flexibility. You can really jump on the ball without worrying about it getting away. The extra weight really helps control and it volleys like cutting warm butter. It definitely requires you to pay attention to mechanics and to prepare early, but the increased spin from the open string patter (16/19) is fantastic compared to the regular LM radical (18/20). I have it strung with natural gut at 59 and I play with a 3/8 even tho' I have large hands because it helps me with manueverability. How light was your previous racquet? If you weren't playing with at least 11oz, I think going to 12 will really take time and concentration. Good luck with it.

Fatmike
04-26-2005, 04:28 AM
I first switched from a radical LM OS to midplus (98 ) last year, and actually found the 98 easier to play. Then, last week, I went to the FP radical tour (100). The tour is .8 oz or so heavier, but the weight is not really noticeable with the jump from 4 to 8 pts head light. What I do notice is the increased flexibility. You can really jump on the ball without worrying about it getting away. The extra weight really helps control and it volleys like cutting warm butter. It definitely requires you to pay attention to mechanics and to prepare early, but the increased spin from the open string patter (16/19) is fantastic compared to the regular LM radical (18/20). I have it strung with natural gut at 59 and I play with a 3/8 even tho' I have large hands because it helps me with manueverability. How light was your previous racquet? If you weren't playing with at least 11oz, I think going to 12 will really take time and concentration. Good luck with it.

current racquet:

Liquidmetal Fire
Head Size:
102 sq. in. / 658 sq. cm.
Length: 27.3 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 10.5oz / 298g
Balance: Even Balance
Swingweight: 320
Stiffness: 67
Beam Width: 23/25/21 mm
Composition: LiquidMetal Titanium / Graphite and Piezzo Electric Fibers
Power Level: Low
Swing Speed: Fast
Grip Type: HydroSorb
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Mains skip: 8T,8H
One Piece
No shared holes

What means 8 pts head light?

ormurray
04-26-2005, 04:40 AM
Your current racquet, you say, is "even balanced", which means that if you find the exact midpoint of the racquet by length, then half the weight is on each side of the mid point, i.e. the balance point is exaclty in the middle of the racquet. 8 points head light means that this balance point is 1 inch toward the handle (each 1/8 inch equals one point), meaning there is more weight in the handle than in the head half of the racquet. This makes it easier to move, etc. A "head heavy" racquet has more weight in the head.

Fatmike
04-26-2005, 04:59 AM
Your current racquet, you say, is "even balanced", which means that if you find the exact midpoint of the racquet by length, then half the weight is on each side of the mid point, i.e. the balance point is exaclty in the middle of the racquet. 8 points head light means that this balance point is 1 inch toward the handle (each 1/8 inch equals one point), meaning there is more weight in the handle than in the head half of the racquet. This makes it easier to move, etc. A "head heavy" racquet has more weight in the head.

I see

thanks for the info...

Fatmike
05-19-2005, 08:39 AM
tried it yesterday, needs to use it more to get used to it...

you really have to hit the center to hit nice shots

and you cannot be lazy cause the racquet won't compensate for the lack of power....

djones
05-19-2005, 09:28 AM
I believe they should have made the Tour 95 square inch.
A 95 square inch racquet is more a players racquet and I think more advanced players would also prefer the smaller headsize.
The 16-19 string pattern I think is also a little to open on a 100 Square inch racquet, this makes it more difficult for flat strokes.
Also, a smaller headsize manouvres much better and feels a lot better on serves.
I really wanna get the Tour, but going from my 90 Square inch Head Classic Mid to this big racquet will probably be a little too much!