PDA

View Full Version : Tennis,Sweat and Acne

gross77777
01-16-2010, 02:18 AM
Since I started to play tennis I get acne on my face,mostly on my forehead and I can`t seem to be able to get rid off it.When I play tennis I play usually for 4 hours and I think that the sweat is cosing it.
Went to a dermatologist who prescribed Oracia and Metrogel , but it does not help.
Can someone suggest what can be done to get rid of this acne and to prevent it from happening again ?

Thanks in advance.

armsty
01-16-2010, 03:34 AM
Headband..

charliefedererer
01-16-2010, 06:32 AM
How about something simple.
Like a soapy wet small towel and a dry one in your equipment bag. Wipe off every half hour or so.

Vyse
01-16-2010, 06:45 AM
I really don't think sweat is the cause of acne. I've always believed in the "you are what you eat" line. Maybe its your diet

Larrysümmers
01-16-2010, 11:41 AM
depending on your hair. I have longer hair and i put my hair in a ponytail. Like early Fed style. Or a bandana, see avatar. Or headband in like a Borg style.
Doing that really helped, and tomato juice works too. Well according to my grandpa. And since drinking it daily my blemishes have decreased

UMDTennis23
01-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah I have the same problem. Wearing a hat would probably help, but I still dont. =\. Hate playing in hats.

albino smurf
01-18-2010, 03:57 AM
Don't touch your face with your hands, wash your face after you have played and stopped sweating, wash any hat and headbands regularly (after 2 wears max), wash your hair every day or every other day and if possible keep it out of your face. Also minimizes greasy foods and drinking lots of water. The biggest thing I've learned is that if you don't mess (no poking or popping until totally ready) with it and keep it clean, which is difficult if you're active, you can fix a lot.

larry10s
01-20-2010, 06:41 AM
it can take 2 months for oracea and metrogel to work. go back to derm if not helping. the doc cant help until he/she knows what does and/or doesnt/hasnt worked.

phishua
01-22-2010, 06:44 PM
gross,
How old are you? Are you a teenager?
When I was 15, 16, 17 I would get really frustrated by acne, it's something that goes away as you get older. Otherwise I would just follow some of the suggestions given by the other posters, there's some great advice on here!

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Try washing your forehead with Dial soap. That will dry it up if you have oily skin.

CanadianChic
01-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Since I started to play tennis I get acne on my face,mostly on my forehead and I can`t seem to be able to get rid off it.When I play tennis I play usually for 4 hours and I think that the sweat is cosing it.
Went to a dermatologist who prescribed Oracia and Metrogel , but it does not help.
Can someone suggest what can be done to get rid of this acne and to prevent it from happening again ?

Thanks in advance.

Sweat can irritate the skin and cause problems. The main thing here is that you are probably washing often which is drying out your skin. I would suggest (whether you like it or not) either wearing a headband high on the forehead (at the hair line) or else using a non-abrasive towel to wipe frequently. After tennis, wash with glycerine soap. Avoid anti-acne products and high moisturizing soaps - use a pure glycerine bar. This will prevent the skin from drying out.

Any sudden change to the skin will result in some form of irritation, be it a rash, acne, blackheads, etc. Your skin needs a chance to become used to the chemical changes (or in this case sweat) and adapt to it. The only thing you can really do is treat it gently, avoid anything with alcohol or oil as a base and keep it as clean and dry as possible. Your skin will adapt but the more you mess with ill-suited treatments, the longer it will take to do so. Good luck.

coyfish
01-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Sweat can irritate the skin and cause problems. The main thing here is that you are probably washing often which is drying out your skin. I would suggest (whether you like it or not) either wearing a headband high on the forehead (at the hair line) or else using a non-abrasive towel to wipe frequently. After tennis, wash with glycerine soap. Avoid anti-acne products and high moisturizing soaps - use a pure glycerine bar. This will prevent the skin from drying out.

Any sudden change to the skin will result in some form of irritation, be it a rash, acne, blackheads, etc. Your skin needs a chance to become used to the chemical changes (or in this case sweat) and adapt to it. The only thing you can really do is treat it gently, avoid anything with alcohol or oil as a base and keep it as clean and dry as possible. Your skin will adapt but the more you mess with ill-suited treatments, the longer it will take to do so. Good luck.

Hmm I don't agree tottaly with the 2nd paragraph. Acne, while influenced by factors you mention, is a genetic disposition. Influenced by hormones overstimulating sebaceous glands. Sweat is a natural mechanism. There is nothing to "get used to." Its never a good idea to go overboard with harsh treatments but in many cases they are necessary. Many people, especially with light to moderate acne, love to advocate a healthy lifestyle as a cure to acne. Sure it helps and is important but that is not the root cause. People with oily skin should cleanse multiple times a day when the oil accumulates.

Anyway for the OP I would wear a headband high on your forehead or a hat. You don't want anything rubbing the irritated area but you wan't to keep the sweat / hair from clogging those pores with dirt and oil. Also you can bring a water bottle and cleanse your face or some gentle cleansing pads. DON'T towel your face off if you bring a towel when you play. Touch it as little as possible but keep the dirt / oil off.

Also depends on your age. Could just be normal puberty associated acne. The T zone is a common spot.

slice bh compliment
01-22-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm wayyy past acne age and I get those tiny little bumps on my forehead, too. Only I get them when I wear a hat. Maybe the hat is trapping stuff there or something. Ironically, i do not get the bumps on my cheeks and nose, which is where I put on a titanium dioxide based sunblock (which you'd think might cause acne, but it does not).

The wet towel idea is really good, especially if you play a lot and sweat a lot.

If I'm playing twice in a day, I wash my face if I can't take a shower in between.

If not, I at least do the wet towel thing on my whole face, especially the forehead.

I'm sure there are dietary factors, too. I know I'm just better when I keep the meat, sugar and fried foods on the small/occasional side. Lots of vegetables, fruits .... live, less-cooked foods seem to help me in general.

Team China
01-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I think you should wash your face after you play as soon as possible and try not to touch your face as much as possible. Also you SHOULD DRINK A LOT OF WATER. Drinking a lot of water is good (there is some connection but not too sure). It doesn't hurt to stay hydrated anyways.

There is a lot of causes of acne. I'll just name a few so you can try determine which relates to you more.

Stress plays a huge part on acne and leads to outbreaks (this is my source of acne because of school stress). If you believe stress if your connection then relaxed once in a while and try counter your source of stress. Do things that make you happy.
Hygiene could also be a link to your problem. Try to keep your face clean of dirt and oils. Oil + dirt = pimples. Wash your facial towel daily and wash your face everyday (as much as you think is suitable* also you don't always have to wash your face with the facial soap as it makes it really dry). Wash your face after you play and don't touch your face when your playing.
Your diet could also have an impact on your acne. Like the old saying says you are what you eat. Stay away from sugary and oily foods as much as possible. Super acidic foods or spicy foods could also have connection (not too sure). But eat balance meals and try stay away from those four things.
Lastly on my list is hormones and genes but there isn't much you can really do about those.

Thats all i got to say and I hope it helps.

CanadianChic
01-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Hmm I don't agree tottaly with the 2nd paragraph. Acne, while influenced by factors you mention, is a genetic disposition. Influenced by hormones overstimulating sebaceous glands. Sweat is a natural mechanism. There is nothing to "get used to." Its never a good idea to go overboard with harsh treatments but in many cases they are necessary. Many people, especially with light to moderate acne, love to advocate a healthy lifestyle as a cure to acne. Sure it helps and is important but that is not the root cause. People with oily skin should cleanse multiple times a day when the oil accumulates.

I agree that sweat is natural but it also aggravates skin that previously was 'normal'. For example, I know many people who after having worked in a particular job that involved a lot of sweating, developed skin conditions which in most cases were not permanent. For them, excessive sweating resulted in boils, zits and blackheads. Mind you, not everyone developed these conditions which is where genetics played it's role but sweat was the leading factor in these cases.

I also feel stress is one of the main causes of skin conditions, as well as premature baldness and graying hair. I also agree that extra water (not just fluids) helps to flush the toxins from the system.

CHOcobo
01-22-2010, 09:57 PM
if sweat dries on your skin, it promote acne. wash your face with only water once in a while. i got the same problem on my chest. its really really really hard to get rid of.

El Diablo
01-23-2010, 05:59 AM
I understand a dermatologist in Texas has developed an i-phone "ap" to treat acne. You hold the phone against your skin and it flashes blue and red light that he claims kills bacteria and eases the problem. Not sure if it's actually been released as the FDA may offer some concerns about marketing the phone as a medical device.

albino smurf
01-23-2010, 06:06 AM
Yeah I bet that works great and looks really cool too. Hold your phone to your forehead and tell people you are washing your face.. LOL.

What CC said has worked for me. In many ways I think skin can be very counter intuitive, where you think you need to dry your skin out but really you need to clean it and moisturize it. I always had slight probs with the little bumps and did not clear them up until I started applying a moisturizer after washing. Too dry is just as bad as too greasy.

coyfish
01-23-2010, 08:38 AM
I agree that sweat is natural but it also aggravates skin that previously was 'normal'. For example, I know many people who after having worked in a particular job that involved a lot of sweating, developed skin conditions which in most cases were not permanent. For them, excessive sweating resulted in boils, zits and blackheads. Mind you, not everyone developed these conditions which is where genetics played it's role but sweat was the leading factor in these cases.

I also feel stress is one of the main causes of skin conditions, as well as premature baldness and graying hair. I also agree that extra water (not just fluids) helps to flush the toxins from the system.

Im nitpicking at you so please don't take it too personally but sweat itself doesn't irritate the skin or cause acne or skin conditions. Those people you mention probably irritate their skin by rubbing / getting it dirty. In fact the act of sweating is actually very good for your skin as it helps eliminate excess toxins (minerals). What is not good however is playing tennis with dirt accumulating and mixing with that sweat and oil. Then you rub your hand / towel over your face and clog those pores.

If you develop acne as a teenager 99/100 times its hormonal. Would like to know the age of the OP but he hasn't returned since he posted this.

Im not saying that stress or other factors don't contribute either however.

Smitty7712
01-23-2010, 02:34 PM
NEVER use soap! it clogs poors and to get rid of acne i actually did not wash my face for about a week. Just rinse off face and keep poors open. Also NEVER use a headband. It traps the sweat on your forhead and is actually worse than soap.... Use and acne cream at night and keep your pores open