PDA

View Full Version : ProKennex SQ Pro Series 9 Pack Bag Review

jwbarrientos
01-16-2010, 03:21 AM
In few words this bag is very well made, strong materials, well padded even in internal walls and perfect size for me (See bellow my story and needs). For this review I will compare with my previous bag, K-Factor K-Tour Super 6 Black/Gold (To see my review :roll: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=278741).

Materials: :)

Speak for its own and is something impressive... this bag was build to last. Double and triple stitching, resistant zippers with metallic pullers, it’s amazing how well padded are walls, not only external but also internal.
I compared with my Samsonite bag I use to carry my notebook, micro projector and believe me that Pro Kennex bag is padded enough to carry my notebook and micro projector inside (ok, just a thought).

The only concern about materials is located in the upper side shiny material that is similar to the Wilson K-Pro. Another concern is the sort of air sponge/foam that has on the straps, my doubt is related to how could handle hot extremities.

Pockets:

There are 6 pockets,

- 3 of them could storage 9 racquet (with no covers, I tested with covers and only could storage 7, 2 in each outside and 3 in the medium large), 1 of this is insulated, well padded and not that film that I saw in other bags including my Wilson K-Tour Super 6 Black/Gold.

- 1 external pocket is an accessory one, big as my previous Wilson K-Tour Super 6, I personally dislike because is too big and has no organizers, small pockets inside what causes that all your mess in flying around.

- 2 wet/dry pockets are located in the bottom part of the bag, are mid size pockets they are big enough to put a pair of shoes inside each one or use for your wet/dry clothes. Those pockets are build inside external pockets so, I tested with two pair of shoes and full racquets and there’s no way you could carry 9 racquets, in this scenario you could only carry 7 frames.

Room:

For me is perfect, but this topic is about everyone’s needs. ProKennex is 29” x 12” x 12” compared with my previous Wilson K-Tour Super 6 that is 30 x 12 x 12 ... that particular inch could be important if you need room in your bags.

Straps:

Are well cushioned, if you don’t use you could safely keep them in dedicated pockets, if so there are two ways to carry, the carry handle on end of bag made with strong plastic and an upside handle. I would love (even I wouldn’t use it) an ordinary detachable shoulder strap that Wilson K-Tour Super 6 has).

Straps are comfortable in my opinion, with full storage you could use a stabilized center strap, nice thing I appreciate when need my hands free.

My concern about straps is the “air foam/sponge” they got, not sure if could survive for long time in hot extremities, but so far is just a perception.

Colors: :shock:

Okey boy, you will look like a yellow cab in the Australian dessert, is quite shiny only comparable with the famous Wilson K-Factor Green Army, probably more fluorescent. If you are a conventional and/or shy person this is not for you.

Final words: :)

I think this bag is made to last, compared with my previous adventure with K-tour Super six this is a solid bag in capital letters, material used provide a great protection, this is not for free and the only disadvantage (IMHO) is the weight; also have concerns about straps, since padded is made of air foam/sponge or something close to.

My previous story and needs: For years I used Wilson Prostaff line (Six bag and backpack) a great look and protection, 8/10 months ago moved to K-Tour Super 6 and I was disappointed (just say a supermarket plastic bag).
Usually I carry 3 racquets + clothes + shoes + sandals + towels + 6/9 balls + water + overgrips + cutter + tapes, etc...

PS: Pics to come.

jwbarrientos
01-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Picture of the bag, usually keeps its shape even when is empty.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx5/jwbarrientos/IMG_0141.jpg?t=1264126372

Insulated pocket, very well padded can carry 3 racquets

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx5/jwbarrientos/th_IMG_0142.jpg

Great size to carry everything I need, all pockets are well padded (can't stop pointing out this).

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx5/jwbarrientos/IMG_0146.jpg?t=1264126662

jwbarrientos
01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Inside view of one (of two) wet/dry pocket

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx5/jwbarrientos/th_IMG_0143.jpg

Outside view of one (of two) wet/dry pocket

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx5/jwbarrientos/IMG_0144.jpg?t=1264126855

My only concern is the back part of straps, kind of air foam/sponge

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx5/jwbarrientos/IMG_0145.jpg?t=1264126912

The_Question
01-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Ooooh!! Sweet! You finally got it!! I'm waiting to paying for this month's bills and then get one. Thanks for the detailed review and photos!!

I do have one question though...I don't know if you had this problem w/your Wilson K Tour bag, but my overgrip tends to stick to the bag. I wonder if the PK will do the same under hot weather??

This bag's colors is great cause it totally matches my Pro 5G Classic!!! Nice purchase!!!

jwbarrientos
01-22-2010, 03:00 AM
Hi there "The Question",

Never had that problem with K-tour (at least not this one :)) I use wilson profile overgrip, not sure if this helps.

It's been a hot summer here in ARG, above 34 celsious degrees mostly of the week, I compared PK's insulated pocket with K-Pro and HEAD (Head Radical Series Supercombi Bag) that have CCT and PK has more quality (IMHO) is wider.

I hope your review of your 5G, since that frame or BA 98 are on my 2011/2012 budget :mrgreen:

nabbydian
01-22-2010, 03:38 AM
very detailed review *thumbs up* perfect for anyone who wants to buy the bag

the more i look at the pictures the more i would want to buy one for myself :)

btw the things you carry in your bag is also identical to what i bring usually, sometimes i bring 4 racquets but my bag only have 2 main compartments - its a 6 pack

The_Question
01-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Hi there "The Question",

Never had that problem with K-tour (at least not this one :)) I use wilson profile overgrip, not sure if this helps.

It's been a hot summer here in ARG, above 34 celsious degrees mostly of the week, I compared PK's insulated pocket with K-Pro and HEAD (Head Radical Series Supercombi Bag) that have CCT and PK has more quality (IMHO) is wider.

I hope your review of your 5G, since that frame or BA 98 are on my 2011/2012 budget :mrgreen:

Hey, thanks for your input!! I use a slightly softer overgrip, Babolat VS. I only had this problem w/the Wilson bag so far. I'm glad PK have a much better/higher quality material. I'm not very good at writing reviews, but I'll get one done for you soon!! Thanks again!!

schenkelini
01-29-2010, 11:45 AM
I have the 6 racket bag and I am very happy with it. It doesn't have quite as many pockets as the 9 racket bag, but suits my needs and is well made.

jwbarrientos
01-29-2010, 12:23 PM
I have the 6 racket bag and I am very happy with it. It doesn't have quite as many pockets as the 9 racket bag, but suits my needs and is well made.

I heard you said your pics are coming ... :roll:

schenkelini
01-29-2010, 01:20 PM

nabbydian
03-25-2010, 09:08 AM
too bad the 6 pack didnt have the backpack straps or i would have brought straightaway!

jwbarrientos
03-26-2010, 03:52 AM
too bad the 6 pack didnt have the backpack straps or i would have brought straightaway!

:shock: 6 pack with no backpack straps
you should go for any backpack bag :-P
There are many good ones in TW's site.

Babolat's new good line looks really great.
Head, Prince also have good ones.

nabbydian
03-26-2010, 06:43 AM
:shock: 6 pack with no backpack straps
you should go for any backpack bag :-P
There are many good ones in TW's site.

Babolat's new good line looks really great.
Head, Prince also have good ones.

:) i bring 3-4 racquets out at times but anything bigger than 6packs will be a nuisance on public transport :oops:

i cant buy bags from TW, only locally because the shipping is enormous, i like the prokennex bags and it is available here because we have an exclusive PK distributer.

at the moment it seems i'll have to get the 9 pack in order to use the backpack straps, still pondering but your review rocks!

thanks again for such as detailed review!

The_Question
03-31-2010, 07:06 AM
jwbarrientos, gotta be honest w/you, I got a little sticker shocked by the price of the 9 pack, so I opted out and went w/a much cheaper (in quality & price) bag. The Wilson K Pro Tour. The construction of Pro Tour is much better than the K Tour. Overall, not really a great solid bag compared to PK SQ Pro, but still an upgrade from K Tour...

new_tennis_player
08-24-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm bumping this thread to say: JW, great review!

Quality info for people in search of a good tennis bag.

edit: I just wanted to add that the backpack straps look so comfy. And you can stow them away too if/when you set them on the ground. Just seems like a well thought out bag.

Two minor detractors:
1. perhaps a bit heavier than average?
2. one, not two thermal guard compartments.

jwbarrientos
08-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Hey new_tennis_player,

Thanks for your commenta, I've been using it for 7/8 months or so, very happy. It is true that is somewhat heavy compared to others, but is in the same range as the Head Monstercombi.

Gee
10-19-2011, 06:05 AM
Great review, JWB!
Glad to hear you still enjoy the bag and that it seemed to be a solid one.

Lately I finally finished my racquet demo period (of a few hesitating years!) and I chose the PK BA98 as the winner! (I also demoed the BA325 but unfortunately it was a disappointment as it didn't have that exceptional plush PK feel like the BA98. The BA325 has a bit of a metallic feel. Another TW member had the same experiences.)

That's why I purchased the PK SQ9 Bag (in black/silver that suits perfect to my Black Aces) and a second BA98 as well to complete my PK set.