PDA

View Full Version : Who owns the Fast Serve record?

safins back
02-23-2004, 04:22 AM
Roddick hits a couple of 150 mph and Johannsen hits 12 about an hour later.Have heard that his record will not be recognized for it was in Europe where they have different measuring system? Can someone elaborate on this. It sucks if he doesnt get it because Roddick doesnt deserve squat!

Shaolin
02-23-2004, 05:27 AM
Unsure about that, but I think Roddick should have it , because if you saw his 2nd serve, match-point vs Meltzer (Davis cup recently) he hit a serve that actully looked about 160, and Im being serious. It didnt even register on the radar, the radar just stayed blank. It was the fastest serve Ive ever seen by far, bounced about a foot or 2 from Meltzer and he swung/missed for the ace.

Max G.
02-23-2004, 01:41 PM
I think officially, the record is currently at 150 MPH, hit by Roddick.

SonicSpeed
02-26-2004, 02:51 PM
The record is set by Andy, with 150mph, at Davis Cup at Mohegan Sun.

johnsheff
02-28-2004, 05:57 AM
The 150mph record is the 'official' record because of the ITF/Davis Cup agreement with Getronics. The previous 'fastest serve' records were set using a different measuring system, which tracks the ball at a later point in it's trajectory and therefore produce a slower reading ... If Johannsen achieved 150mph with the old 'radar gun' system then he was probably serving faster ...

Andres
04-21-2005, 09:54 AM
The Official fastest serve in ATP history is Roddick's 155 mph blast in the Davis Cup.

Jonnyf
04-21-2005, 10:22 AM
roddick hold with 155mph in the Davis however Bil Tilden got an unproved at 161 in like 1915, but the serve that someone talked about (Roddicks serve) that looked faster probably was, as serves over 160 mph's don't regester on the service machines

goober
04-21-2005, 10:41 AM
roddick hold with 155mph in the Davis however Bil Tilden got an unproved at 161 in like 1915,

Uh 1915? What kind of radar gun were they using back then? ;)

Andres
04-21-2005, 10:42 AM
I believe pure maths :P
Dividing the court's length with the time elapsed :P

gugafanatic
04-21-2005, 04:11 PM
155mph HOT ROD, DAVIS CUP. Followed by a celebritary tour around the court carrying the American flag aloft.

splink779
04-21-2005, 04:49 PM
161 in 1915!!?? That takes a lot of believing unless there is proof.

Datacipher
04-21-2005, 05:32 PM
161 in 1915!!?? That takes a lot of believing unless there is proof.

In those days, a lot of those readings were done using ballistic chronometer which I have absolutely no faith in whatsoever. There is no doubt that some of the biggest servers of those days could really crank it, but sadly we don't have much in the way of data and the numbers I've seen don't seem correct....if a person were clocked at say 160mph on the chronometer, on today's radar that should actually translate to something like 200+ mph, I think common sense rules that out. There were some fast serve contests that used other methods, high speed photography, strobes etc. These may have been quite accurate but we still cannot compare them to radar.

Don't put too much faith in radar though. Even though it's a pretty good method and at least has the potential to give us somewhat standardized readings, as we have seen recently, it can also vary by a very significant amount depending on the gun and the event. We all know the new Gentronics gun is recording very high compared to the older guns. This is not the first time the atp radar has seen across the board increases. This is awful because it means it's pretty much impossible to even compare 1990 radar speeds with the current radar. I guess the good news is that the new radar is probably catching the ball earlier and thus reflecting more accurately the fastest speed, the bad news is we cannot compare it with older readings. Thus about the only thing we can say about Roddick's new record is that it is the fastest serve recorded with the new equipment and that he is the fastest server out there right now.(my instinct is that he is probably the fastest ever, except possibly Tanner, although he goes consistently faster than Tanner I believe)

It does explain to me why at times, a person like Roscoe Tanner was recorded at 153mph, the radar used, was presumbly getting the ball earlier like the current radar. It also explains why Tanner was accurately clocked repeatedly well into the 130's(on computer analysis and radar) yet in the early 90's and 80's nobody could even touch 130 on the ATP radar.

gugafanatic
04-21-2005, 06:00 PM
who cares??? record books will not give mention to radar systems used. The post requires a simple answer: 155 mph (A.ROD).

Datacipher
04-21-2005, 06:07 PM
who cares??? record books will not give mention to radar systems used. The post requires a simple answer: 155 mph (A.ROD).

Not much for thinking are you? What "record books" are you referring to? ANYONE can simply declare a record. Some of the posters seem interested in really determing who served fastest and the how/why behind some recorded speeds.

bamboo
04-21-2005, 06:15 PM
"Getronics is one of the world's largest providers of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Solutions. Getronics is a leading provider of total life cycle ICT solutions and services to the U.S. Government. Getronics has a 30+ year relationship with the U.S. Government and has extensive experience in Command, Control, Computers, Communications, and Intelligence (C4I) providing support to both the previous Worldwide Military Command and Control Systems (WWMCCS) program and the current Global Command and Control Systems (GCCS and GCCS-A) programs. Getronics is also a leading provider of Tempest Zone products and our current XTS300 product is the only NSA Certified B3 product in the market space. Getronics has been a leading provider of Information Assurance (IA) solutions and products to the U.S. Government and prime contractors since 1978." - From
a Google search - Northrup -Grunman website.
It would be nice to see Getronics adopted across the board as one can clearly see their "out-wide" readings ae more accurate than the competition. It is a little misleading to see Roddick's Getronics readings vs. others' ATP tour guns - Porsche or otherwise.

Datacipher
04-21-2005, 06:32 PM
It would be nice to see Gentronics adopted across the board as one can clearly see their "out-wide" readings ae more accurate than the competition. It is a little misleading to see Roddick's gen readings vs. others' ATP tour guns - Porsche or otherwise.

I agree, I'd just like to see them standardize on something so that we can compare now and comprehensively analyze the system so that if a new system is put in place in the future we can still make some scientific comparisons. Since all the speed data are not standardized, we can't make comparisons of the current guys and all the great servers of the past, all of them will be the subject of speculation and subjective opinion only. So let's start now, give the speed readings some meaning! It will be quite a shame if 20 years from now, if thoughtful people are saying "gee, Christian Sampras is serving so hard....wonder if it is faster than Roddick was..."

bamboo
05-18-2005, 05:02 AM
http://www.getronics.com/global/en-gb/getronics/daviscup/speedserve/speedserve.htm
This site also has info about the amateur contest, and the current pro records - with the ATP site promoting the fast serve tour, with their inflated numbers (juiced by 16.6%!) this is a much-needed corrective. Also corrects the notion that wide serves in the deuce court are much slower - it's the limitation of the competing systems that provide false readings as they don't actually catch the ball off the racquet at that angle.

agassi_denmark
06-12-2005, 02:03 AM
I talked to one of my friends a few days ago, and he said that he saw Safin serve 252 kmt.. I don't know if it is right, if it is right then Safin may have the record. !! Roddicks fastest was 249 so...

Someone their know about it is right.. :confused:

Jonnyf
06-12-2005, 02:22 AM
Gilbert said Roddick could serve over 165mph but not in as i said Speed guns don't clock over 160mph and Roddick has had one that Didn't clock at all

DashaandSafin
06-12-2005, 02:55 AM
True. I heard Roddick can serve over 160+ but he does not in matches because
1. The clock doesnt go that far?
2. Its stupid becuase hes going all out on a 20% chance it will go in.

Jonnyf
06-12-2005, 03:04 AM
he also goes about 90% on all serves the whole match and maybe 93/94% first and last game (if serving)

splink779
06-12-2005, 06:15 AM
Gilbert said Roddick could serve over 165mph but not in as i said Speed guns don't clock over 160mph and Roddick has had one that Didn't clock at all

That is scary. I can't remember but I saw in one ATP match one of Roddick's serve didn't clock at all, one of the Macs said something. He should just try it in th first round of Wimbledon or the US Open just for fun. He'll win the match anyway.

bamboo
06-12-2005, 06:19 AM
That is scary. I can't remember but I saw in one ATP match one of Roddick's serve didn't clock at all, one of the Macs said something. He should just try it in th first round of Wimbledon or the US Open just for fun. He'll win the match anyway.
Getronics technology tracks missiles that far exceed the speed of sound - another good reason to standardize it as the official tennis radar.

TEAMRAFA
06-12-2005, 07:43 AM
i remember hearing/reading something about the guns being faster at US davis cup matches or the us open as a ploy to sort of market roddick. anyone else hear something like this?

davey25
06-12-2005, 07:50 AM
I read in "Tennis Magazine" a Buzz guy served one at 162 mph, just a local hacker player apparently.

Max G.
06-12-2005, 10:51 AM
I read in "Tennis Magazine" a Buzz guy served one at 162 mph, just a local hacker player apparently.

That was an april fool's joke.

davey25
06-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Well I found the story suspicious at best. :)

Chadwixx
06-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Getronics technology tracks missiles that far exceed the speed of sound - another good reason to standardize it as the official tennis radar.

according to other posters it cant break 160mph, those are some slow missles :)

i find it amusing that every players serve is discredited yet roddicks counts.

Tennis Psycho
06-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Andy Roddick should hold the record because IMO he is the best server in tennis.

Datacipher
06-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Well I found the story suspicious at best. :)

Um...that's good because it was intentionally written to be ludicrous. Including the stupid picture included.

There is a business man from Canada who I have posted about before. He is about 4.0 who claims to have been timed over 150mph and has beat pros in head to head contests. I can verify that he can regularly go into the 130-140mph range.

Return_Ace
06-12-2005, 01:08 PM
I talked to one of my friends a few days ago, and he said that he saw Safin serve 252 kmt.. I don't know if it is right, if it is right then Safin may have the record. !! Roddicks fastest was 249 so...

Yeh I saw that one.....it works out at 156.6mph, however the commentators said that the speed gun was malfunctioning...........they reset it and then the other guys serve registered at like 30mph (it actually wasn't). So it looks like its back to the drawing board...............